PDA

View Full Version : If you were starting out as a first-timer, would you buy this??

Jack&7
07-25-2011, 05:48 PM
I want to get into fly fishing and really have no idea on what to buy to get started...but I saw this at my local CT.

Thoughts???

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/SportsRec/Fishing/FlyFishing/PRD~0784516P/Total%252BTackle%252BFly%252BCombo.jsp?locale=en

goldscud
07-25-2011, 06:00 PM
If you buy better stuff the first time you won't have to replace it so soon.
Not sure what your budget is, but I'd think about spending around $150 for a rod, $100 for a reel and $40-60 for a floating line.
Plastic/graphite reel parts wear out or break. Cheap rods are heavy and slow. Cheap lines sink and are not very durable.

tacklerunner
07-25-2011, 06:06 PM
You asked buddy and my answer is no. It's going to be hard to learn on a cheap rod. Plus you're going to need to spend $60+ on line to make it half decent.

My suggestion is to borrow one of mine and use it this year... But you have to get it from Braun and share it amongst yourselves. It's a 4 wt Signature Series TFO and a quality rod to learn on.

So when do you want to go? :)

We might have to meet at our winter meeting spot on 22X first and practice in the field.

Jack&7
07-25-2011, 06:23 PM
Hahaha...

as I was typing this, I thought to myself, "I should just call TR".

Okay...let the lessons begin!

sureshot
07-25-2011, 07:06 PM
I just started fly fishing myself spend the extra money wss has a nice amundson combo that comes with everything you need except for the flies. I purchased one of these and am very happy with it. the only thing I upgraded was my line. Combo runs for 219.00.

Andy

Cal
07-25-2011, 07:16 PM
I have a martin combo that cost me around $100, I would call this the minumum, I've used much nicer rods but I have no problem fishing with this combo. I also have a rod that would have been a little cheaper new that I got for $10 at a garage sale, I bought it for trolling sinking lines which is a good thing because quite frankly I can not cast with it.

alacringa
07-25-2011, 09:55 PM
No. Get quality to start with, and you won't have to go somewhere else to get it, later. Not sure what kind of a budget you're dealing with, but I'd say Sureshot's combo would be a minimum. You might want to look at some of what TFO has to offer, as well.

Kokanee9
07-25-2011, 10:23 PM
TFO and Reddington have kits that have everything. Great middle of the road with decent quality combos that are still going to do the job well after you have gotten the hang of things. Somewhere around $100-120.

Big Daddy Badger
07-25-2011, 10:49 PM
I'd spend a bit more on the rod and the reel to be honest. The kit is probably what I'd buy a kid just because they tend to lose interest fast or not look after things.

For line I would start with an end heavy floating line. As a beginner it will make it easier for you to lay it out.

Kokanee9
07-25-2011, 11:51 PM
TFO and Reddington have kits that have everything. Great middle of the road with decent quality combos that are still going to do the job well after you have gotten the hang of things. Somewhere around $100-120.

I was wrong, they are actually in the $200-220 range.

Rick.
07-26-2011, 12:31 AM
Personally I would spend a lot more and get far better quality. I guess my question back at you is this. Are you committed to be a fly fisher or have you never tried it before but would like to give it a go? If the later, go for it. You would be hard pressed to rent a rod for a week at that price. If you like it you can spend any amount of money next time and if you don't you haven't wasted anything. I know of more than a few people who have incredibly expensive top quality equipment they have not used in the last five years. The important thing is that you enjoy it or what's the point? You will be able to have a complete blast with that outfit. Rick.

jts1
07-26-2011, 07:36 AM
If you would like I have a 6wt 4 piece TFO a vest with all the fixings, wadders reel with a sinking tip line and an extra spool with a floating line ect ect. Why not borrow them for a while and see if its a fit for you or if its something you even want to keep doing. I can drop it by and give you a few pointers if you like. Been a while since I seen you anyways we can kick back a cold one.

Rick.
07-26-2011, 10:11 AM
If you would like I have a 6wt 4 piece TFO a vest with all the fixings, wadders reel with a sinking tip line and an extra spool with a floating line ect ect. Why not borrow them for a while and see if its a fit for you or if its something you even want to keep doing. I can drop it by and give you a few pointers if you like. Been a while since I seen you anyways we can kick back a cold one.
Now that is a generous offer. Well done. Rick.

steelhead
07-26-2011, 10:07 PM
You will never know quality without using a chunk of crud first.

I would suggest getting the cheap martin combo with line and eveything. A hundred bucks. You can make aaaaaaall the mistakes and be rough on without the guilt of wrecking a large purchase. And its a good combo, I buy them for my guests to use (Im not a guide, just guests).

Would you buy a thousand dollar fender stratocaster to learn how to play mary had a little lamb for your first time? Did you learn to drive in a ferrari or a hundred buck chevette? Did you learn to shoot with a .22 or did you go right to the bigbores?

I learned with a 10 dollar telescopic 9 foot 8 weight. I fought with it, made
mistakes, broke it and learned everything I needed to know. When i did buy quality rods, I was a pro with them and some have lasted 20 years. My cheapo lasted one year. Slam it in the trunk, stick it in the spokes of the mountain bike, poke it into the ground and trip over it, slap a bear with it. What would your feelings be if you broke a hundred bukker compared to a 300 bukker? And you will break it. If you dont, your not fishing hard enough and not using your rod nearly enough.

I would suggest the low budget one. You will learn more and faster.

Those who tell you to learn on a high priced quality rod are probably those who would never want to be known to own such a cheap starter. One of them elitest things. They been fly fishing for sooo long they cant remember what it was like as a beginner.

STEELHEAD

winged1
07-26-2011, 10:37 PM

I would suggest getting the cheap martin combo with line and eveything. A hundred bucks. You can make aaaaaaall the mistakes and be rough on without the guilt of wrecking a large purchase. And its a good combo, I buy them for my guests to use (Im not a guide, just guests).

Would you buy a thousand dollar fender stratocaster to learn how to play mary had a little lamb for your first time? Did you learn to drive in a ferrari or a hundred buck chevette? Did you learn to shoot with a .22 or did you go right to the bigbores?

mistakes, broke it and learned everything I needed to know. When i did buy quality rods, I was a pro with them and some have lasted 20 years. My cheapo lasted one year. Slam it in the trunk, stick it in the spokes of the mountain bike, poke it into the ground and trip over it, slap a bear with it. What would your feelings be if you broke a hundred bukker compared to a 300 bukker? And you will break it. If you dont, your not fishing hard enough and not using your rod nearly enough.

Those who tell you to learn on a high priced quality rod are probably those who would never want to be known to own such a cheap starter. One of them elitest things. They been fly fishing for sooo long they cant remember what it was like as a beginner.

STEELHEAD

I agree with this approach. I started skiing in my blue jeans and it wasn't till I actually learned how to ski before I considered quality gear. All of my fishing gear that has failed has done so by falling off the roof of the car going down the highway, snapping off in the tailgate or crashing in the bush with the mountain bike. I don't give any of it a chance to wear out.

As a first timer, would I buy it, probably. It's better to make a cheap mistake than an expensive one.

tacklerunner
07-26-2011, 10:53 PM

STEELHEAD

Respectfully I disagree. A quality rod does not need to be high priced. $100 vs $150 or $200 for a complete combo is a huge upgrade. I've seen too many people want to give up learning with a noodle until I lend them my 2nd spare TFO which is not expensive by any means. Sorry that's just my experience and opinion.

steelhead
07-26-2011, 11:34 PM
Tacklerunner said " I've seen too many people want to give up learning with a noodle "

On that note, I have seen many many people want to give up learning " and they did" after buying peer pressured, and recomended high end products. Well over 250 bucks for the rod and reel and that doesnt include the other recommended equipment they were pressured to purchase as "need" items. It doesnt end at a just buying a rod and reel combo. 200 for a tfo set up or a hundred for a martin. Thats a hundred bucks to buy flies, tippet, hemostats, a beginner fly tying kit, a net, and maybee waders, the cheap kind!

Its not the equipment that would keep someone fly fishing. Its the amount of interest. Many loose interest by taking advice from those who have mastered the sport. I watched a fly shop owner totally drive a beginner away with all his, " you need this, and you need that and you cant catch anything without this. This brand rules, dont get caught dead with that brand. He also tried to explain to this guy how to roll cast, and he didnt even know what a false cast was.

Keep in mind, these people are beginners. Keep it simple for them. Small steps. One weight of rod, one weight of line, a couple dry flies, a couple wet flies, a spattering of nymphs. Using that, over time, they will find out, that certain flies work better with certain weights, small streams, large waters, they will feel the difference. Learn by doing and making mistakes other than trying to keep up with thier advanced peers advice. They will know what they want over time, and it may not be what you told or recomended to them. Over time, they may think your equipment and techniques are stupid.

Of course, this is my point of view and it has developed from teaching many beginners to fly fish. A couple of them went to school to learn fly fishing in Calgary. Appearently, I made it sound easier and waaay less complicated than the instructors at the school. What do they teach our future anglers?

Thank you for the respectfull disagreement. I do see your point of view, but cannot agree with it.

STEELHEAD

Ruger1022
07-27-2011, 12:12 AM
I agree with this approach. I started skiing in my blue jeans and it wasn't till I actually learned how to ski before I considered quality gear. All of my fishing gear that has failed has done so by falling off the roof of the car going down the highway, snapping off in the tailgate or crashing in the bush with the mountain bike. I don't give any of it a chance to wear out.

As a first timer, would I buy it, probably. It's better to make a cheap mistake than an expensive one.

I started it out with a similar combo from CT years ago, I didn't catch any less or more fish a $600 combo!! Try out the CT combo if you like it upgrade as you go, if you have the money to burn...burn away!!

trapshooter
07-27-2011, 01:37 AM
Go to the fishin hole and they will set you up and will make you a great deal! I went there looking for my first fly rod. I ended up spending $100.00 total. I got a rod, case and a box of flys. No reel though.

BeeGuy
07-27-2011, 01:56 AM
Well, if you have some generous benefactor, I would take them up on the offer.

If not, I would buy it. For some people, fly fishing is like a 'workout routine'. You buy a membership to the gym and a treadmill that fills half your basement and never use either. You can see on kijiji Calgary a few 'complete' fly fishing packages that people have bought for $1000's of dollars, but never used. They just liked the idea of fly fishing and it is a romantic one indeed.

By the time you wear out your cheapo CT combo, you'll know what you like, you'll know if you use it, and you'll know exactly what you want to replace it with.

Keep in mind, for the price of a 'decent' entry level rod, you can buy at least 3 or 4 cheap ones.

My first fly rod was a 9', 8wt, $20 beast. I caught thousands of fish on it over the course of a decade and if I still had it, I would still use it.

Daceminnow
07-27-2011, 01:05 PM
I was wrong, they are actually in the $200-220 range.

no you were right. picked this combo up for a bud wanting to get started last week. it's a solid starter and a great price. go check one out.

http://ca.wholesalesports.com/storefront/fly-fishing/rod-reel-combos/tfo-lefty-kreh-signature-series-i-outfit/prod131957.html

Dace

maclennanchris
07-27-2011, 02:34 PM
Hey just wait till Cabellas opens in the 4th. Seen some good little rods for starting out. Check there website out......best of luck