PDA

View Full Version : Cow Lake

littlered
07-25-2011, 05:57 PM
We're headed out for the long weekend. Was out last year at this time and had pretty luck with the pike. Could not find a perch though. Anyone having any luck finding the perch?

bearbuster
07-25-2011, 10:09 PM
Been out there about a dozen times this year and still no perch. Helluva lot of pike though!

Lefty-Canuck
07-25-2011, 10:18 PM
I have never been there but I have a week off of work and would be interested in heading out....any tips from those who fish it regularly? ie. best place to launch, any hazards to look out for, etc...

LC

bearbuster
07-25-2011, 10:38 PM
Launch from the day use area on the Northend. Use a lure that imitates a perch and enjoy. Watch out for floating Muskeg islands, I don't know where they come from, but they are there and would make a helluva a noise if you hit one. The fish also have that disease in them. The fish look healthy and fat and put up a good fight. There is a right up about it at the boat launch and there has been a thread about it on here. Catch and release under 100cm so not much to worry about

Lefty-Canuck
07-25-2011, 10:40 PM
Thanks! How deep is the lake roughly? I am kind of going in blind....does it get busy out there?

LC

bearbuster
07-25-2011, 10:42 PM
Thanks! How deep is the lake roughly? I am kind of going in blind....does it get busy out there?

LC

I have seen up to 10ft but I would say 6-8ft is average. On the weekends it gets busy but the lake is big enough. `lots of room to fish and ski

Gus
07-26-2011, 11:41 AM
The little creek on the north side of the lake west of the boat launch that empties into the lake is a good spot to look for perch. I've found that there are tons of them in the lake but they are real small.

walking buffalo
07-26-2011, 02:32 PM
A reminder for people fishing Cow Lake.

Cow Lake pike are infected with Lymphosarcoma.

Disinfect your Tackle and nets. Help preventing the spread of this disease to other waterbodies.

Check out the link. Take note of the quote. You could spread this disease to other fish in the lake and perhaps to other water bodies through handling and equipment contact of infected fish.

DISEASE IN PIKE AT COW LAKE with pictures

http://www.srd.alberta.ca/FishWildlife/FisheriesManagement/FishManagementZones/Zone1EasternSlopes/documents/DiseaseInPikeAtCowLake-Mar2011.pdf

Transmission of the disease between pike is thought to be by direct contact, which most likely occurs at spawning time each spring. As it may be possible to transmit the virus by fishing gear, anglers should release obviously infected pike without taking them into a dip net or into the boat.

This Viral induced cancer is fairly well known in research circles.

Perhaps if SRD would lobby to increase F&W's funding, something a bit more proactive could be done about the problem.

Other jurisdictions recommend steralization of fishing equipment (with bleach) and culling of legal fish, to be submitted to a local office. Very similar protocols to Whirling Disease.

From Wisconsin...

http://dnr.wi.gov/fish/documents/pr_lymphosarcoma.pdf

Anglers play a very important role in helping to prevent the spread of Lymphosarcoma, including taking the following steps:

�� Never move any northern pike or musky from one waterbody to another, a practice already prohibited by rules to prevent the spread of VHS.

�� If an angler has used a landing net or cradle on a fish that displays Lymphosarcoma sores, the angler should not use that gear for the rest of the trip and disinfect the gear once they get home.

�� Clean all landing nets and live wells in contact with the disease as well as other gear that may transmit virus with high pressure hot water, or disinfect them with a solution of 1/3 cup of household bleach mixed in 5 gallons of tap water and left to soak for five minutes. Rinse well with tap water before using the equipment again.

�� Anglers catching a fish that displays Lymphosarcoma symptoms should take a picture of the fish if it’s under the legal size limit and note the time, date and location it was caught before releasing the fish and then contacting the local DNR fish biologist with that information. If the fish meets the minimum size limit, anglers should harvest the fish, place it in a plastic bag and take it to the local DNR office and arrangements will be made to test the fish.

littlered
07-26-2011, 06:18 PM
Thanks for the replies. Looks like some yummy looking fish! Don't think we'll be letting too many that look like that in the boat. We caught quite a few last year and never saw anything like that. Have people been seeing in recently?

bearbuster
07-26-2011, 09:32 PM
Out of about 50 fish caught this year I have seen about 10 with the disease. none as bad as shown. Pink spots any where from 1/4" spots to Quarter size.
Still worth a trip for some fun Fishing

trapshooter
07-27-2011, 01:36 AM
Can you fish from shore?

ts84
07-28-2011, 08:45 AM
Only shore fishing is from boat launch at day use area, which can get very busy with boats. Very swamyp shores, mostly floating bog. Boats are best!

Dust1n
07-28-2011, 10:53 PM
Can you fish from shore?

ya go jig a small spoon or jig from the dock for perch and suckers and pipe