PDA

View Full Version : Decision made!

slivers86
07-25-2011, 06:43 PM
So tomorrow morning, I am packing my rain jacket and rubber boots and heading out to livingston area and taking my first peek at it :) hoping it treats me good! If however it fails, I will head to the crowsnest and drop a few lines in there, as a kid, it was always great to me!

Question for all the knowledge here... :sHa_shakeshout:

Would anyone be willing to give me a few tips on a few nice spots on livingston, old man, or crowsnest? I will be in a car, but if a few spots are worth it, I'll borrow a truck tmw morning. Any tips appreciated, or if anyone wants to come along, company would be great :)

Also, recommendations on colors for spinners and small spoons? or other hardware at that :)

Bhflyfisher
07-25-2011, 09:40 PM
they make a good bobber now that is works two ways as a fly fishing indicator and an adjustment (plug removed and held underwater to absorb water to gain wait) for spin fishers to cast flies ( no i am not talking about the clear one thats torpedo shaped ) they have them at the fishin holes in edmonton not sure on the name though. I am headed there tomorrow and will find out the exact name.

If i was spin fishing i would throw one of those on about 9-10 feet up the line, tie on a nymph (stone fly nymph, copper john, pheasant tail, san juan worm, prince nymph) basically whatever catches your eye, (also availible at the fishin hole) and put a few split shot about 18 feet up the line. Just flick the line out, or try and cast it out in the pools and riffles and set the hook when the bobber goes down, Slay cutties on the fly rod when nothings hatching.

Works on the crow as well, the set up is pretty much all round for trout, much more productive from my experience.

If you have any questions just PM me.

BH

slivers86
07-25-2011, 10:04 PM
is the road paved out to livingston? Its been years since I was out that way!

slivers86
07-25-2011, 10:17 PM
If anyone cares to join, I will be leaving calgary around 6am tomorrow to head out to longview area. Feel free to drop me a line on here, I'll check the messages around 05:30. I'm leaving from the south end of the city (Cranston) but could meet in shawnessy, or anywhere south of southland drive. Gas doesn't matter, as I'm going anyways, would be fun to have a partner in crime :)

Have a good night all :)

tacklerunner
07-25-2011, 10:23 PM
they make a good bobber now that is works two ways as a fly fishing indicator and an adjustment (plug removed and held underwater to absorb water to gain wait) for spin fishers to cast flies ( no i am not talking about the clear one thats torpedo shaped ) they have them at the fishin holes in edmonton not sure on the name though. I am headed there tomorrow and will find out the exact name.

If i was spin fishing i would throw one of those on about 9-10 feet up the line, tie on a nymph (stone fly nymph, copper john, pheasant tail, san juan worm, prince nymph) basically whatever catches your eye, (also availible at the fishin hole) and put a few split shot about 18 inches up the line. Just flick the line out, or try and cast it out in the pools and riffles and set the hook when the bobber goes down, Slay cutties on the fly rod when nothings hatching.

Works on the crow as well, the set up is pretty much all round for trout, much more productive from my experience.

If you have any questions just PM me.

BH

X2 inches he meant. Adjust your bobber according to the depth you are fishing and make sure you are catching bottom now and then. Means you are getting down to the bottom which is important.

is the road paved out to livingston? Its been years since I was out that way!

No but it's pretty good. But you'll have to walk a bit to access the river if your in a car. Lots of the roads toward the river are 4x4 & quad trails.

Bhflyfisher
07-26-2011, 12:51 AM
depends if the nymph is a beadhead or not. I fish 18 inches above my fly and works perfectly, there is a few ways but split is a must just to get the fly to the bottom.. I would just make sure that the fly is on the bottom. Otherwise... i guess you could tie a stimulater to the line... :)