PDA

View Full Version : ignition switch for my fishing boat.

Braun
07-25-2011, 06:50 PM
I want to get the rig up and runnign for the weekend. I have to replace the ignition switch. its an older boat. its a 3 position ignition switch that has a seperate choke button and there is also a safety switch that prevents the motor from being turned over while in gear. I was going to order a new switch for 60 bucks. all new switched have the choke built into the the key(push the key to choke) which would eliminate my button anyways.

what i want to know is can I get just a regular 3 prong, 3 position generic ignition switch and use that? the choke can be wired directly and doesnt need to be through the switch. the safety switch for starting it in neutral can be bypasses and eliminated as well. One would have to be pretty stupid to start a motor in gear. plus i am the only one who drives it anyways.

what do you guys think? i dont see any reason why it wouldnt work. a switch is a switch. just needs 3 positions. off run start.

tacklerunner
07-25-2011, 07:32 PM
Absolutely.......

have no answer for you.

Braun
07-25-2011, 09:10 PM
Absolutely.......

have no answer for you.

good contribution thanks for posting.

lol. just kidding.

Braun
07-25-2011, 09:21 PM
ok so its less that i am doubting it will mork because i know it will. but where can i find a generic 3 position ignition switch?

harrydude
07-25-2011, 09:28 PM
princess auto has them

or greggs distrib

or I might have one in my garage

were you located

Braun
07-25-2011, 09:29 PM
NE calgary. i checked princess auto's website and they only show a 4 position switch.

Lefty-Canuck
07-25-2011, 09:32 PM
Try a place like "Active Electronics" up in the NE end of Calgary....they sell a variety of switches that might do the job.

LC

Kokanee9
07-25-2011, 10:36 PM
Acklands Grainger. That place I told you about for the seal on the bottom end. Don't have a phone#, but 1 block west of Blackfoot and 42 ave SW and 1 block south.