PDA

View Full Version : Rock Island Lake snags! Beware!

haywarje
07-25-2011, 11:00 PM
Fished Rock Island Lake 2 weeks ago (North of Calling Lake). Noticed lots of snags and dead heads just sticking up above the water. Lots in the SW corner of the lake and many more. Some out quite far from shore(100m+). Fished it again today. Well after lots of rain many of those snags are now just under the water. I clunked one with my motor while i was trolling. Could have easily been going wide open where i was. Just a warning to everyone who fishes there. On second thought, this could be lots of lakes. Jackson Lake in Lakeland Provincial rec area north east of Lac La Biche comes to mind.

Cheers

Safe fishing!

Kokanee9
07-25-2011, 11:05 PM
God I love the information you get from here that you otherwise wouldn't have known.

Thanks for posting!

Kurt505
07-26-2011, 08:28 AM
Thanks for posting, btw how was the fishing?

haywarje
07-26-2011, 08:41 AM
It's usually good, but got skunked yesyarday. I took my kids (8,6,4) and it was 2 hours of tangled lines, kids whining, and lost hooks. Very little time actually spent with a line IN the water! Still better than a day at work!! Here's a pic of my 8 and 4 year old the previous time out. By the way, for anyone who read the Marine Madness and Sports thread, this is not the motor i bought from them (that one is still gone). Got this one from a private sale for WAY less money and has run like a top! Just had to throw that out there!

sco22
07-26-2011, 09:35 AM
Great pic! I know your pain. . .spent a week at Touchwood with my family and the brother in laws family. Pretty sure we made a macramé owl with two lines and a piece of driftwood while trolling.

Cheers.

superman_mike
06-24-2012, 08:36 PM
awesome info about the dead heads. was thinking about going up there next weekend. know to post my dad as a look out if i head up there.

Alberta Bigbore
06-24-2012, 09:03 PM
Great info post !

Smokercraft
06-25-2012, 10:04 AM
Thanks for the info, heading up there soon and was planning on exploring the SW part of the lake as I've never really be in there. Already lost one motor to that lake a couple of years ago (my first time on the lake). Much bigger boat now so I'll be extra careful.

For those heading to Rock, a little tip on how to get to the islands incident free. From the launch, look straight across the lake towards the north side of the islands. You can see a line where the trees were burnt out by forest fire. Line up with that edge and your free to go full out. You'll end up a couple of hundred yards north of the island, far from danger, were you can head in with a close eye on your depth finder, it comes up fast.

JohninAB
06-25-2012, 10:44 AM
Original thread is from July 2011. Was at Rock Island Lake June 1, only saw one or two deadheads. Did not snag anything other than some old fishing line.

stand junkie
06-25-2012, 12:23 PM
jackson is full of them again this year also and there are some big ones keep a close eye when getting dark