PDA

View Full Version : Flat of worms questions

npauls
07-26-2011, 02:50 PM
I am just wondering how many worms you usually get in a flat. Also what is the cost of a flat of worms?

chubbdarter
07-26-2011, 03:59 PM
call kelly for current prices

ORV
07-26-2011, 04:27 PM
is a flat the large tin foil containers that the fishing hole sells?
a couple of weeks ago they were $15.00 for 200 dewies i believe.

great deal i thought.

orv.

npauls
07-26-2011, 09:10 PM
If that is the price I think I will hold off. My yard is just going nuts with them the last few weeks and I was thinking about making some coin off of them. I could probably collect 2-3 flats a night but for $45 I don't think it would be worth it.

Oh well I guess I will just have an endless supply of worms for my own fishing adventures.

mikeo2
07-26-2011, 09:14 PM
Are they night crawlers in your lawn or just regular worms? Night crawlers can ruin lawns but it's nice to have a "local" supply haha.

npauls
07-26-2011, 09:19 PM
Ya they are night crawlers and have ruined the lawn. The only good thing is that our back yard gets beat up pretty good because of the kids and all their toys out back.

It is really nice to have a steady supply of crawlers that I can collect fresh every night.

If anyone around Lethbridge wants some crawlers for a fair price let me know and we will try to work out something. Let me know a few days in advance and I will see what I can do.

Nate

slivers86
07-26-2011, 09:23 PM
thats funny nate,

my mother has the same problem in her lawn. So she made a crawler farm in the garage... steady supply for bait, they use them, and abuse them... walleye tend to love them at PCR :)

npauls
07-26-2011, 10:00 PM
Walleye everywhere love crawlers certain times of the year. I have about 500 of them in my beer fridge right now. I thought I might be heading to sherburn for the long weekend but turns out we are going to go chuck flies at some hungry mountain trout instead.

Gary K
07-26-2011, 10:54 PM
If yah wanna get tons of dew worms. Water the lawn for a few hours( or after it rains) then split an extension cord and tie off each end to a bent coat hanger. Walk inside, plug in, wait 20 minutes and would
you look at that! Buckets and buckets of worms. Best done at dusk or dark ;)

prodogg02
07-26-2011, 10:59 PM
If yah wanna get tons of dew worms. Water the lawn for a few hours( or after it rains) then split an extension cord and tie off each end to a bent coat hanger. Walk inside, plug in, wait 20 minutes and would
you look at that! Buckets and buckets of worms. Best done at dusk or dark ;)

why go inside stay have a shocking time

chubbdarter
07-26-2011, 11:09 PM
http://www.yourdiscovery.com/video/dirty-jobs-worm-grunting/

Gary K
07-26-2011, 11:15 PM
That sounds interesting. And strange. I'll have to look at it at work tomorrow, lying in bed with a phone and far to lazy to go to a computer. Haha

npauls
07-26-2011, 11:48 PM
You won't catch me out there grunting for worms and I have heard that you aren't suppose to use the electrical trick around housing. I guess it can cause major problems with the utility lines running in the ground around your house and if caught can be given a huge fine. I will stick to the good old method of using a flash light and my hands to collect my bait. I can get more then enough every night anyways so I am not to worried.

FishingMOM
07-27-2011, 04:48 AM
As kids we used to use soapy water.

The beauty of this trick is it works in daylight and in no time at all, just a few minutes time and you're done. Warning: Not all brands of dish soap will work! First, fill a five-gallon pail with cool, clean water (don't put soap in first). Then add several good squirts (about 1/4 cup or so) of dish soap into the water and stir slowly to mix, but not so much as to form suds. Pour the entire mixture out in about a three foot diameter circle on the lawn, where you know there to be crawlers. Have a coffee can or other small pail handy with clean "rinse water" to heave the crawlers into as they emerge. Within a couple minutes, all the crawlers and worms in that area will surface rapidly. Pluck them and heave them into the clean water immediately. Just do one small section at a time. Out of direct sunlight works best or preferably, early AM or after the sun sets. Best is right after a spring rain. Once you have the worms all picked and in the rinse water, pour out on a clean section of lawn, pick up and place into your soil, leaf mulch or worm bedding. Check the next day for any dead ones. Try to remember which spots on the lawn you have already treated and do no treat that spot again for a few weeks. Will not harm the lawn or grass, by the way.

WayneChristie
07-27-2011, 07:27 AM
people die every year from using the extension cord method. a 12 volt car battery is supposed to work too and with no risk of electrocution