PDA

View Full Version : NSR sturgeon?

Kurt505
07-27-2011, 08:09 PM
Where is a good place to go for sturgeon on the NSR? I've caught one just down stream of the Beverly bridge, and one just down stream of the Devon bridge. Just wondering if anyone had luck on the river with the sturgeon?

thorne
07-28-2011, 12:37 PM
Looks like u answered that one yourself......

Alberta Bigbore
07-28-2011, 12:41 PM
heh.... I. B. T . L.

Kurt505
07-28-2011, 06:55 PM
What a friendly bunch on this forum.

jamieishere
07-28-2011, 07:45 PM
im lookin to catch one ive heard around fort saskatuwan. havnt tryied yet. you say devon and beverly? i should check that out lol. how do you fish for them?

Lefty-Canuck
07-28-2011, 08:07 PM
Kurt505....I wouldn't take it personally....most of the guys who sturgeon fish have their "spots" just like any other fisherman etc. Not sure how long you have been on the forum or if you know any other guys here. Get to know some folks and you will honestly have more offers and opportunities then you will know what to do with....

...but on the same token I wouldn't expect anyone to post a hot spot because thats what makes a great spot a bad spot....when everyone else knows about it :)

LC

Kurt505
07-28-2011, 09:16 PM
im lookin to catch one ive heard around fort saskatuwan. havnt tryied yet. you say devon and beverly? i should check that out lol. how do you fish for them?

I use a cheese cloth with a worm ball or sometimes a minnow ball. I use a big gamakatsu on a home made rig, about 6-8 inches from the bottom with a 12-14 inch lead. When I fish them on the coast I use the same type of set up, and if I catch salmon I'll use the roe or gills, or even a fresh squaw fish.

As far as checking out the spots I catch them, by all means check them out. If you look from the Beverly bridge down stream on the east side of the river you'll see a pump house, just on the down stream side of that is where I've caught them. By Devon, if you follow the river down stream it goes into a hard bend. Right on the point of the bend is where I have also caught them.

I don't have a problem giving up my spots, I enjoy checking out new ones too though. Gold bar has some sturgeon, I've seen one jump there but I've never caught one there. I could see if people were catching and keeping the fish, but most fish on the NSR are released. I don't see the need to post just to be a smart ass, but maybe I'm just to old to find the amusement in it.

So there are two, maybe three spots to try for sturgeon on the NSR folks. PS, my last five whitetail have an average score of 163 B&C but that's another forum.

pdfish
07-29-2011, 07:37 AM
Kurt505, there are a couple reasons why people (myself included) don't give up our sturgeon spots on the NSR. First, it can be tough finding them, it can take a long time to track down a handful of holes. Second, there are far too many morons that want to catch these fish and have no clue how to handle them or fish with gear that is better suited to walleye/pike than sturgeon. You may not be one of these tools, but unfortunately after witnessing a member of the tagging program drag a 30 pounder up thru the silt and have it out of the water for about 75-90 seconds, I don't trust anyone. That person, who shall remain nameless (although the pic is on the board at the Fishin' Hole in the West End), should know better than anyone how to handle them properly. Unfortunately, his actions have led me to stop giving anyone info on where to catch sturgies.

Kurt505
07-29-2011, 12:43 PM
Thanks for posting pdfish. I used to be a fishing guide in northern Saskatchewan, and I've been on several guided fishing trips, with atleast one or two trips a year to the Fraser river for sturgeon. The guiding service I use on the Fraser has a weekly online fishing report that tells you how the fishing is, which area, and what to use. They fish for a living and tell other people where to fish and what to use.

I can appreciate the fact that people want to protect the sturgeon on the NSR, I just got no use for the condescending sarcasm. I can see there are some good folks posting on here, even got a pm from one last night with a place to try. It's like any other forum, you get good information but there's always the loon crap you gotta wade through before you get to the fishing hole.

jamieishere
07-29-2011, 07:13 PM
I want to experience catching such a wonderful creature. Going out to second tommorow don't care what I catch really I would be really happy to hug a sturgeon

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
07-30-2011, 01:44 AM
Kurt505, there are a couple reasons why people (myself included) don't give up our sturgeon spots on the NSR. First, it can be tough finding them, it can take a long time to track down a handful of holes. Second, there are far too many morons that want to catch these fish and have no clue how to handle them or fish with gear that is better suited to walleye/pike than sturgeon. You may not be one of these tools, but unfortunately after witnessing a member of the tagging program drag a 30 pounder up thru the silt and have it out of the water for about 75-90 seconds, I don't trust anyone. That person, who shall remain nameless (although the pic is on the board at the Fishin' Hole in the West End), should know better than anyone how to handle them properly. Unfortunately, his actions have led me to stop giving anyone info on where to catch sturgies.

x 2 . Well said there Pdfish

Kurt I hear that the spot near devon real good spot infact . :sHa_shakeshout::sHa_shakeshout::sHa_shakeshout:

Kurt505
07-30-2011, 09:06 AM
x 2 . Well said there Pdfish

Kurt I hear that the spot near devon real good spot infact . :sHa_shakeshout::sHa_shakeshout::sHa_shakeshout:

It is a good spot. A bit of a hike to get there tho. I don't have a jet boat, and I don't have any experience navigating the NSR so I don't want to put my aluminum on there, but if your willing to hike a couple miles it could be worth the walk. My friend caught a 60"er there about 5-6yrs ago. My biggest there was about the 50" mark.

It was the lake sturgeon that got me wanting to go after the whites, now all I want to do is fish the Fraser. After fishing the Fraser it kind of spoiled the rest of my fishing. There's just something about hooking into a fish that feels like a volkswagon that gets the blood pumping.

braxxtonn
08-01-2011, 09:18 PM
there is a KILLER sturgeon hole , by a town called frenchman butte, in sask, there always there,

Kurt505
08-01-2011, 09:22 PM
there is a KILLER sturgeon hole , by a town called frenchman butte, in sask, there always there,

I just drove thru there last weekend.

braxxtonn
08-01-2011, 09:57 PM
a guy i met who is an avid fisherman told me about that spot this summer, he said he has been going there for 10 years and catches tons of sturg there, I was going to make a trip there but then the river started flooding , and now i live in lethbridge so i havent made it there yet , If anyone goes there let me know!!!
he said go to the bar there grab a case and there is a trail that pretty much goes from the bar down to the river,

e40water12
08-01-2011, 10:00 PM
All I can say is the stergeon are well and alive in the NSR. Up by Andrew bridge in the NSR. I seen them jumping. or rolling haha. Just go tot snag one for the season of say I caught one.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
08-02-2011, 12:15 AM
All I can say is the stergeon are well and alive in the NSR. Up by Andrew bridge in the NSR. I seen them jumping. or rolling haha. Just go tot snag one for the season of say I caught one.

Or Porpoise ;)

They are definitely around , but I find it hard to believe that people are gonna give away there sturgeon spots after spending countless hours for fishing for them , Highly doubtful , time to get outta computer chair look at a map of the river you wanna fish for them and look for things that might hold or bring them to an area . I know myself have been fishing the spot I do for 17 or 18 years Ive shown a few people it but I wouldn't show anyone anymore . Not worth it as it is these spots are becoming over populated with people .

Best bet Do the following

Get a Map
Go for a drive or walk and find these spots .
Do a search of the Internet
Get ahold of a guide in the area .

Failing to do any one of those things will result in you still sitting here wanting to catch a sturgeon .

Bye bye for now .:D