PDA

View Full Version : Gull Lake

Rugid
07-27-2011, 10:37 PM
Just joined the forum ( don't know why I haven't done it sooner ) and this is my first post. I'll start by introducing myself. My name is James. Live in Calgary. 31 years old. I'm a plant foreman. Have 2 boys and 1 girl. But most of all the kids and I love to fish.

So I'll get to my question. Was thinking of heading out to Gull lake in the next couple of weeks. How the fishing up there? I've never been. Is it just pike and pickerel? Jigs and cranks? Any good sweet spots anybody want to let me in on? Location and condition of the boat ramps? Well that's it. Hope I didn't overwhelm you. Would definitely like to meet a few of you and get some fishing trips in.
Cheers.

finsnfeathers
07-27-2011, 11:30 PM
sorry, i don't fish there...but welcome to the forum!

Kokanee9
07-28-2011, 12:06 AM
Gull Lake can get some large waves so watch the weather.

Garry B
07-28-2011, 12:50 AM
I'm by no means an oldie here but welcome. I'm sure you will enjoy the forum. :)

Hunter Trav
07-28-2011, 08:54 AM
I was at Gull on sunday, the fishing SUCKED!!! No one was catching much that day, not sure why. No pickerel, but there's pike, walleye ;) , perch, whites and burbot. Theres 4 or 5 launches there all around the lake, most are in good shape. The lake is shallow till you get out a ways from shore. Trolling the shorelines works well for the pike. The walleyes are scarce, but if you do get one it will probably be a fair sized one.

bdb42
07-28-2011, 09:18 AM
I've been camping at Brewer's all week and for me the fishing has been quite slow. Managed a to catch a few Pike but haven't got the Walleye to bite yet. Good time none the less.

Rugid
07-28-2011, 05:11 PM
Ok since the fishing isn't the greatest at Gull is there any place close by to Blackfalds that can accommodate a 19' fiberglass hull. Deposit on campground is already paid so need to stay close to Blackfalds. Thanks.

coors04
07-28-2011, 07:06 PM
Sylvan lake is usually great for walleye I never have much luck with pike but there are some monsters in there also some nice whites aside from that give pine lake a try there seems to be lots of pike right around the keeper size and the eyes can be good fishing there to and if you want to eat a walleye you need to go to buck lake as far as I know your aloud 1 over 43cm but check the regs first there's also huge whites and pike in buck hope this helps and welcome

Rugid
07-30-2011, 09:40 PM
Thanks for all the welcomes and advice guys. Now it's a toss up between Sylvan and Pine.

Willowtrail
07-30-2011, 10:05 PM
I'd choose Sylvan out of those 2.

nicemustang
07-30-2011, 10:30 PM
IMO, Gull is a blade lake. So pull bottom bouncers with small blades with leeches or crawlers. It does have some walleye but don't expect to catch much. It also get lots of fishing pressure. Not my favorite place...As mentioned, Sylvan is a good choice. Lots of different types of structure and good population of fish. Also consider Pine Lake.

Since you're from Calgary, try Pine Coulee if you want to get kids into fish that are easy catches or any of the reservoirs to the south hold walleye. Travers, Mcgregor, Little Bow, Newell, etc.

Dust1n
07-30-2011, 10:38 PM
IMO, Gull is a blade lake. So pull bottom bouncers with small blades with leeches or crawlers. It does have some walleye but don't expect to catch much. It also get lots of fishing pressure. Not my favorite place...As mentioned, Sylvan is a good choice. Lots of different types of structure and good population of fish. Also consider Pine Lake.

Since you're from Calgary, try Pine Coulee if you want to get kids into fish that are easy catches or any of the reservoirs to the south hold walleye. Travers, Mcgregor, Little Bow, Newell, etc.

yeah now that i think about it most of the fish out of there was caught on blade bades like pike spinners! didnt notice it.

Me and Biggamehunter fished sylvan today the wind was from the east but the fish didnt not bite the least got a bunch of eyes about 40 some and had a 30-32inch pike on, landed a 25inch pike and seen a smaller pike. Also after i went on Vacay BGH caught a 38incher out from his house. just using jigs and smelts on the bottom. about 20 feet from the reeds.

the north side is genneraly better for both gull and sylvan although the south side gets almost double the preasure.