PDA

View Full Version : Buzz Bombs: What can they catch?

trapshooter
07-27-2011, 11:23 PM
I picked up a bunch of buzz bombs at a sale price and was wondering what fish can they catch and how do you use them? Thanks

BGSH
07-27-2011, 11:31 PM
Buzz Bombs=

Ling Cod
Rock Cod
Salmon
Lake Trout
Halibut
and probably even pike allthough i would stick to traditional gear for catching pike and walleye.

boot
07-27-2011, 11:56 PM
I picked up a bunch of buzz bombs at a sale price and was wondering what fish can they catch and how do you use them? Thanks

Used to jig for salt water bottom fish using buzz bombs. Basically pull up fast and let it drop... the crazy action as it drifts down causes fish to strike.

Sorry, but no idea what fresh water species it works on.

HunterDave
07-27-2011, 11:57 PM
Google search "fishing buzz bombs".........there are some pretty good results.

WayneChristie
07-28-2011, 07:42 AM
small size in orange works great for rainbows, just reel them in like a spoon

Calgarys_finest
07-28-2011, 07:50 AM
They are amazing for browns in fall, I have been catching rainbows with them lately and i have caught pike on them before.

bobalong
07-28-2011, 07:57 AM
I have used the holographic ones ice fishing for walleye, they work quite well.

Braun
07-28-2011, 09:15 AM
you can catch anything on them. mountain lakes use white with red / green. you can catch all trout on them Ive caught 12 inch brookies on a 2.5 inch buzz bomb reeling them in. work great for trout in the winter. buzz bombs are a spray lake staple in the winter.

Christofficer
07-28-2011, 09:18 AM
Everything that will take a bait fish, one of the best lures

keep it reel
07-28-2011, 09:43 AM
I've caught pike with Buzz Bombs

Pudelpointer
07-28-2011, 05:21 PM
I've posted this before, and had a bunch of nay-sayers jump on me for it, however I will say it again:

Hooking mortality when using a Buzz Bomb is ridiculously high. The fish have tendency to hit the lure on a slack line, and then you foul hook them around the head (and often the gills) as you rip the line tight.

I used them for years on the coast, even in fresh water for salmon when you could use trebles (can't do that there anymore) and caught a lot of fish with them. However, I stopped using them for salmon and trout after killing hundreds of undersized fish over the years (legally had to release them - usually to see them floating upside down bleeding to death from damaged gills).

I would still use them for species that I would like kill regardless of size (ling cod where size is not an issue, black bass, tommy cod, etc.), but I would not use them where you are likely to need to release a large number of the fish you catch (such as walleye).

If you are going to use them, maybe try a large single hook.

JUST MY OPINION!

As the original question: they will catch anything and everything! I have probably caught more different species with a buzz bomb than any other lure (except maybe a wooly bugger!).

Bow flyman
07-28-2011, 06:39 PM
I have caught every kind of fish on Buzz-bombs. They are especially effective on Brown trout and Lake trout.

Dust1n
07-28-2011, 10:54 PM
there best in deeper waters like rivers and lakes.
iv caught lots of stuff on them.

Braun
07-29-2011, 08:26 AM
I've posted this before, and had a bunch of nay-sayers jump on me for it, however I will say it again:

Hooking mortality when using a Buzz Bomb is ridiculously high. The fish have tendency to hit the lure on a slack line, and then you foul hook them around the head (and often the gills) as you rip the line tight.

I used them for years on the coast, even in fresh water for salmon when you could use trebles (can't do that there anymore) and caught a lot of fish with them. However, I stopped using them for salmon and trout after killing hundreds of undersized fish over the years (legally had to release them - usually to see them floating upside down bleeding to death from damaged gills).

I would still use them for species that I would like kill regardless of size (ling cod where size is not an issue, black bass, tommy cod, etc.), but I would not use them where you are likely to need to release a large number of the fish you catch (such as walleye).

If you are going to use them, maybe try a large single hook.

JUST MY OPINION!

As the original question: they will catch anything and everything! I have probably caught more different species with a buzz bomb than any other lure (except maybe a wooly bugger!).

We have talked about this before and gustav mahler was involved. I wouldnt be surprised if he jumps in this one again. I think that this is more an issue with salt water game species. of the 100s of fish ive caught with a buzz bomb. not a single one has been fowl hooked. But I have heard the same story you have told from several people. BUT every single one of those stories were about fishing for salmon or off the coast. I dont know what it is that salmon / sal****er fish attack the buzz bombs at a different time than our trout / pike / walleye / etc. Regardless, I still promote the use of a single hook or smaller sized trebles rather than the giant ones they give you with the hook.

Calgarys_finest
07-29-2011, 09:09 AM
We have talked about this before and gustav mahler was involved. I wouldnt be surprised if he jumps in this one again. I think that this is more an issue with salt water game species. of the 100s of fish ive caught with a buzz bomb. not a single one has been fowl hooked. But I have heard the same story you have told from several people. BUT every single one of those stories were about fishing for salmon or off the coast. I dont know what it is that salmon / sal****er fish attack the buzz bombs at a different time than our trout / pike / walleye / etc. Regardless, I still promote the use of a single hook or smaller sized trebles rather than the giant ones they give you with the hook.

Agreed. In most lakes this will be my go to hook if there are trout around and i dont think i have ever foul hooked a fish. First i have ever heard of this actually.

duffy4
07-29-2011, 09:35 AM
Used to jig for salt water bottom fish using buzz bombs. Basically pull up fast and let it drop... the crazy action as it drifts down causes fish to strike.

Sorry, but no idea what fresh water species it works on.

That is actually NOT the recommended way to fish them. (instructions used to come come in the package)

Pull up SLOW and then drop the rod tip so they fall on a slack line.

I've uesed them in the salt chuck for salmon and ground fish. Also used in freash water for walleye, perch, pike and burbot.

I ordered some online when I was in Australia because I could not find any there. I used it in the ocean there and caught some odd fish.

Braun
07-29-2011, 09:40 AM
Agreed. In most lakes this will be my go to hook if there are trout around and i dont think i have ever foul hooked a fish. First i have ever heard of this actually.

off topic. but i would just like to comment on how you are calgary's finest..... from airdrie..... nice :happy0034:

Calgarys_finest
07-29-2011, 10:13 AM
off topic. but i would just like to comment on how you are calgary's finest..... from airdrie..... nice :happy0034:

I know, Slim pickins for the ladies in cow town feel bad for them actually.

Braun
07-29-2011, 11:06 AM
I know, Slim pickins for the ladies in cow town feel bad for them actually.

OMG...... what is that on your forhead!!...... oh... its just a little VEIN :budo: