PDA

View Full Version : Lake Summerside...Edmonton...Private lake community

Sundancefisher
07-28-2011, 11:47 AM
Curious if anyone on the board lives there. The regs say 3 trout a day...24 per month limit. YIKES... How is the fishing? How is the stocking rates? That is a tremendously high number of trout per household.

Garry B
07-28-2011, 12:05 PM
Sun, I live nearby but not in the community. I know a few residents in an offhand way but can't really say much about the trout regulations there. In the times I've gone by I haven't seen heavy usage of the fishing. I do know it has also had perch illegally put into it and I believe they are a problem they don't want. I wish there was someone on this board who lived there that would do the same as you and work to eradicate them with help of OAF members. It would be a great chance to catch perch right in the city while trying to rid the lake to make room for the trout. It's a beautiful lake.

pophouseman
07-28-2011, 12:08 PM
The was a special notice put up early this year that NO trout are to be kept until further notice. The perch have become a problem, however they are fun to catch and delicious. An outdoorsmen gathering like was had down south could be a good Idea, but it would probably have to be put past the community association.

pophouseman
07-28-2011, 12:09 PM
also, as for the 24 fish per month limit, this lake receives VERY little fishing pressure. I would think that even if every person fishing caught and kept their limits, there would still be plenty of fish in there.....the lake is hardly used for fishing.

Stinky Buffalo
07-28-2011, 12:21 PM
For sure, it's a fun lake to fish. My boys caught their first fish in that lake.

Some nice-sized trout in there. They sometimes change the catch-and-keep policies for trout (there was a zero limit for a time last Summer, IIRC).

I steams me that someone dumped perch in there, but my kids sure love fishing for them from the main dock... :)

Would be fun to take a pontoon boat out there... Gotta get me one...

Garry B
07-28-2011, 12:28 PM
... this lake receives VERY little fishing pressure. ...the lake is hardly used for fishing.

It would be great if non-residents were able to buy passes to fish there (much like European private ponds/lakes). Strict rules could be put in place and enforced. The community could generate some funds and use them to reduce resident dues. Shame such a spot isn’t being used much for fishing.

Lefty-Canuck
07-28-2011, 12:58 PM
That would be nice Gary....I suspect they don't want a bunch of sweaty smelly fisherman like me "trolling" for "sunfish" near shore...:) Spend a day out on the beach there and you will know what I mean :) Lets just say the big homes are not the only scenary :)

LC

pophouseman
07-28-2011, 12:58 PM
As far as "nice sized trout" are concerned I would have to agree!!! there are monster rainbows in summerside and the average size is also over 16" i would guesstimate.

pophouseman
07-28-2011, 12:59 PM
That would be nice Gary....I suspect they don't want a bunch of sweaty smelly fisherman like me "trolling" for "sunfish" near shore...:) Spend a day out on the beach there and you will know what I mean :) Lets just say the big homes are not the only scenary :)

LC

You got that right.....a TON of babes over there.....

biggyJ
07-28-2011, 01:45 PM
10 outside rods per day.

$50 a day

Some 90 good fishing days from may to middle sept.

$45000

That's nothing to laugh at. Plus make it c and r for outside rods.

Stinky Buffalo
07-28-2011, 02:15 PM
Meh, just befreind someone who lives there. Residents may bring guests, even though they recently reduced the amount of guests that may be brought in by each resident household (without prior notice).

You got that right.....a TON of babes over there.....

You must have seen my wife there... :D

Shame such a spot isn’t being used much for fishing.

But... But... It does attract the odd poacher... :scared0018:

Stinky Buffalo
07-28-2011, 02:59 PM
...and I'm not a resident, BTW... Sorry... :D

Sundancefisher
07-28-2011, 03:43 PM
They just need $6000 for nets...then someone in the community to bring forward the appropriate information. I would be happy to give them our information to date as well as reasons for doing it.

Then the fishermen there need to just invite some AOF buddies to fish for perch this winter. The sooner they start the better.

I am thinking of maybe doing some Summer netting...say 3 days in a row. The nets need checking daily at these Summer water temps... I have seen schooling perch along the shoreline. They should be catchable from the fishing area with a bobber and jig with maggot or mealworm. I am catching them on unbaited flies again.

Cheers

Sun

Paul C
07-28-2011, 03:49 PM
Curious if anyone on the board lives there. The regs say 3 trout a day...24 per month limit. YIKES... How is the fishing? How is the stocking rates? That is a tremendously high number of trout per household.
That lake is private and only allows Summerside residents and there guests. The trout in that lake are very healthy and I caught some up to the 3lb mark.
There is also a total bait ban. The locations that you can fish are quite small areas including the dock. The catch and release was changed on June 1, 11 to allow people to take fish. This is a small community that has a small number of people who like to fish.
Like so many other lakes it has perch that was illegally introduced. This lake is closely monitored and maintained by on site staff.

Paul C
07-28-2011, 03:51 PM
They just need $6000 for nets...then someone in the community to bring forward the appropriate information. I would be happy to give them our information to date as well as reasons for doing it.

Then the fishermen there need to just invite some AOF buddies to fish for perch this winter. The sooner they start the better.

I am thinking of maybe doing some Summer netting...say 3 days in a row. The nets need checking daily at these Summer water temps... I have seen schooling perch along the shoreline. They should be catchable from the fishing area with a bobber and jig with maggot or mealworm. I am catching them on unbaited flies again.

Cheers

Sun
The summerside staff are on top of the perch problem and are taking corrective action.

jgrocks
07-28-2011, 04:18 PM
I wouldnt mind going for perch and "sunfish". Lol!

Lefty-Canuck
07-28-2011, 04:21 PM
I wouldnt mind going for perch and "sunfish". Lol!

Remember you can only fish 1 rod at a time....:scared0018:

LC

Sundancefisher
07-28-2011, 04:26 PM
The summerside staff are on top of the perch problem and are taking corrective action.

Cool

I know I was approached at one point for information but never did find out what they did with it or what approach they took.

I would be interested in knowing their results.

jgrocks
07-28-2011, 04:26 PM
Remember you can only fish 1 rod at a time....:scared0018:

LC

I'm sure I could be creative enough to make that work!:sHa_shakeshout:

kidd
07-28-2011, 06:01 PM
Maybe get a double header.

smitty9
07-28-2011, 09:44 PM
Well Sun, you know I live there, having been the recipient of your generosity (you sent me all that useful info via email regarding removal of perch).

The website has not been updated recently: the current regulations took effect June 1st. You are allowed 2 fish per day, a total of 12 per month.

The manager, Craig, does have a netting program in place. But, I'm thinking I should pitch in more, but from the sounds of it, they were trying to stay on top of the problem.

The perch are mostly a curse, but I admit, they do keep kids amused, especially when they are easy to catch off the dock. Now, I may catch hell for this, but the other week I did NOT report a fellow using bait. He was clearly targeting perch off the dock, and anytime I see someone remove 60+ perch, I am a happy guy. Apparently, one pull of the nets brought in more than 20,000.

You are allowed 5 guests per day, but the outdoor booking program allows up to 30 people. I have used this program to get my flyfishing club at school to have a shot a "real" flyfishing. One girl in grade 6 landed a 3 pounder right off the dock on a dry fly. It was way cool. Kids had a blast.

Some members might remember I am the guy who lost his fly rod to a fish last year and was trying to enlist some scuba dive help to retrieve it. I did have a buddy come out, he found my pliers, but no rod, lol. Too bad - my first ever Sage rod that I bought off Ebay (sigh).

As for the fishing, June was not a good a month as last year. With increasing perch numbers, and people keeping fish (trout), I believe the catch rates will undoubtedly suffer. I see more people fishing this year, so I think the lake is being used more and more for fishing. Especially off the dock. So much so I was thinking of maybe hosting a course or two (one for flyfishing, one for spin). My dad fishes off the dock and people constantly ask him about flyfishing. So there's a curiosity - which is really good to see. The more people fish that lake, the more they will care.

As for sizes, its rather impressive. I have only seen one fish under 15". I am not exaggerating when I say the fish average 2.5 lbs. They are indeed a nice average size.

I also see the occasional dead carp (grass species introduced intentionally to keep the algae/weeds down) and, of course, no bucket biology experiment could be complete without Koi. So they're in the lake too.

Overall, obviously I love being 5 minutes away from trout fishing, but between the retention limits and the perch problem, obviously this lake isn't reaching its potential. The trick is getting enough residents to care, the time and effort to manage the lake properly (and I think the Lake manager is doing the best he can right now), and, if necessary, the dollars to address any potential challenges.

I'm open to taking someone flyfishing, especially if they are a beginner, and they're welcome to bring their kids (If I can handle 15 kids in a flyfishing club waving fly rods, I can handle your kid - I had a 3 year old trolling 90' of fly line the other day...)

Cheers,
Smitty

jgrocks
07-28-2011, 10:09 PM
Sounds fun regardless. All I got is an ugly stick and I like to catch and release.

Sundancefisher
07-29-2011, 10:45 AM
Well Sun, you know I live there, having been the recipient of your generosity (you sent me all that useful info via email regarding removal of perch).

The website has not been updated recently: the current regulations took effect June 1st. You are allowed 2 fish per day, a total of 12 per month.

The manager, Craig, does have a netting program in place. But, I'm thinking I should pitch in more, but from the sounds of it, they were trying to stay on top of the problem.

The perch are mostly a curse, but I admit, they do keep kids amused, especially when they are easy to catch off the dock. Now, I may catch hell for this, but the other week I did NOT report a fellow using bait. He was clearly targeting perch off the dock, and anytime I see someone remove 60+ perch, I am a happy guy. Apparently, one pull of the nets brought in more than 20,000.

You are allowed 5 guests per day, but the outdoor booking program allows up to 30 people. I have used this program to get my flyfishing club at school to have a shot a "real" flyfishing. One girl in grade 6 landed a 3 pounder right off the dock on a dry fly. It was way cool. Kids had a blast.

Some members might remember I am the guy who lost his fly rod to a fish last year and was trying to enlist some scuba dive help to retrieve it. I did have a buddy come out, he found my pliers, but no rod, lol. Too bad - my first ever Sage rod that I bought off Ebay (sigh).

As for the fishing, June was not a good a month as last year. With increasing perch numbers, and people keeping fish (trout), I believe the catch rates will undoubtedly suffer. I see more people fishing this year, so I think the lake is being used more and more for fishing. Especially off the dock. So much so I was thinking of maybe hosting a course or two (one for flyfishing, one for spin). My dad fishes off the dock and people constantly ask him about flyfishing. So there's a curiosity - which is really good to see. The more people fish that lake, the more they will care.

As for sizes, its rather impressive. I have only seen one fish under 15". I am not exaggerating when I say the fish average 2.5 lbs. They are indeed a nice average size.

I also see the occasional dead carp (grass species introduced intentionally to keep the algae/weeds down) and, of course, no bucket biology experiment could be complete without Koi. So they're in the lake too.

Overall, obviously I love being 5 minutes away from trout fishing, but between the retention limits and the perch problem, obviously this lake isn't reaching its potential. The trick is getting enough residents to care, the time and effort to manage the lake properly (and I think the Lake manager is doing the best he can right now), and, if necessary, the dollars to address any potential challenges.

I'm open to taking someone flyfishing, especially if they are a beginner, and they're welcome to bring their kids (If I can handle 15 kids in a flyfishing club waving fly rods, I can handle your kid - I had a 3 year old trolling 90' of fly line the other day...)

Cheers,
Smitty

Thanks for the update. I feel your pain. I could not remember who it was I passed the info on to...:) I deleted the PM.

We have found that ...surprise surprise...as the fishing improves so does the fishing pressure. The success actually does ripple down and hurts the catch rates. You really need to tweek the limits to adjust. You limits seem very, very high given the type of lake...especially with perch.

That 20,000 perch netting...yikes!!!! Hopefully you have people to eat em all. I feel blessed and pleased that most of our fish are not wasted. Little goes to the dump.

What are your perch sizes these days? If you catch a couple hundred...try taking lengths and doing a length frequency analysis. If you do it the same time of year every year...over time you will begin to see a shift upwards in sizes...hopefully.

FishingMOM
07-29-2011, 11:34 AM

Cheers

Sun

Sun,

let me know if you do a summer perch cull. Please.
Your little buddy is itching to fish with you.