PDA

View Full Version : Victoria fishing trip

Jwood 456
07-28-2011, 12:00 PM
Towed the 22ft double eagle to the coast and fished off of Sooke. All I can say is that the Salmon fishing has been great. Caught close to my limit of salmon in a couple hours. :sHa_shakeshout:Most were pinks with the largest one being an 8lber. Also caught some nice sized coho salmon a chinook and had some large solid strikes from what I suspect were good sized chinooks. The 4 to 5ft seas finally drove my fishing partner and I back into the harbor. Still 2 days of fishing left so perhaps my fishing partner and I can catch that large illusive chinook or some halibut if the weather calms down.:sHa_shakeshout:

Trapped some crabs back at the harbor as well and boy what a great meal that was. Yum!

BGSH
07-28-2011, 12:10 PM
guess there all getting ready to go up jordan river and sooke river, one year i found a 60 pounder up in the sooke potholes huge fish spawn up there, sounds like a great trip

Deep
07-28-2011, 02:16 PM
I've fished lots out of Sooke with Cal from Spencers Sport fishing. Always had a great time with plenty of good salmon. Still need return for a Halibut. Good luck.

AbProwler
07-28-2011, 04:40 PM
http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/showthread.php?15303-Sooke-Reports-Spring-and-Summer-2011&p=189489#post189489

Jwood 456
07-28-2011, 08:03 PM
Thanks for the comments guys.

I've got my fingers crossed that my fishing partner and I can get to the Hali fishing grounds well before the weather kicks up.

Jwood 456
08-02-2011, 10:15 AM
Just got back from 4 days of fishing off of Sooke. The result of the last few days of fishing was a whole bunch of small Chinooks a large Chinook well over 10lbs landed, some black sea bass rockfish, and a couple more solid hits not to mention the one that started screaming line off of my reel until the "light" 25lb leader broke!:shark:. The action was great until the bait fully ran out. The fishing days were usually short because the weather kicked up right away and on the calmer day’s I would quickly go through a pack of Anchovies in a short time. The last day, the seas were too rough to fish with gale force winds and 5ft white caps bobbing the boat around pretty good (wahooo!) and the waves were still quickly building! All in all, I believe it was a great trip and learning experience. I don’t think I will ever soon forget either how the Chinook salmon would endlessly scream off of those reels!.:sHa_shakeshout: Now that I have figured out how to catch the salmon, I look forward to heading there next year and to start targeting and figuring out how to catch the Halibut.

Me battling a large chinook right before the leader broke.

A freshly landed chinook well over 10lbs that my fishing partner caught.

The Sooke Harbor with the awesomely scenic Washington State Olympic mountain range in the background.

Decided to keep a few pink salmon out of the many my fishing partner and I caught.
Typical seal sighting in the harbour. They wait around anxiously to feed on the fish scraps that the anglers throw into the water.

Dust1n
08-02-2011, 10:25 AM
sick Pics!

Rigby
08-02-2011, 10:37 AM
Nice pics! Sounds like you had a great time!

elkoholik
08-02-2011, 11:18 AM
If you get a chance head to Nootka Sound, fishing 12 days ago was just picking up and we caught 7 chinook 6 over 22lbs and 5 coho in 3 days of fishing, about 6-8hrs away on the water as we were in a 12' aluminum. The fishing on all of the west coast seems to be getting better every year, hope they can keep the management equal and allow more sports fishing opportunities vs. the commercial fishing getting their "equal" share. Cheers to all and tight lines.

Jwood 456
08-02-2011, 05:19 PM
Thanks for the positive comments guys.

Elkoholik: As for the fishing on the coast improving, I must agree. I have read through many professional reports where lots of the guides were saying that the fishing this year has been the best that it has been in a while. I think catch and release fishing, the NGOs that raise money through derbies to help maintain the hacheries, and strict governmental regulations have all helped a big part. Many Chinooks caught off of the BC coast I also hear were traced back from Oregeon and Washington where in the last decade the government has been extremely strict on mainting the hatcheries and the quality of the spawning rivers.