PDA

View Full Version : Burbot in Bow

tommyguitar
07-28-2011, 11:02 PM
I have nailed two burbot just after Bearspaw in the last two nights, same hole, both under 45 min fishing. Ugly guys! Tonight my girlfriend got to fight a 24" one for a good ten minutes. It was intense and her first good catch! Got them with brown trout Countdowns.

However the lunker tonight happened to pretty much swallow the countdown. There was basically nothing I could do without really ripping on him, which would have killed him. I had to cut the line off. :( This hasn't really happened to me before like that. Anything I should do to prevent this in the future?

Dust1n
07-28-2011, 11:06 PM
I have nailed two burbot just after Bearspaw in the last two nights, same hole, both under 45 min fishing. Ugly guys! Tonight my girlfriend got to fight a 24" one for a good ten minutes. It was intense and her first good catch! Got them with brown trout Countdowns.

However the lunker tonight happened to pretty much swallow the countdown. There was basically nothing I could do without really ripping on him, which would have killed him. I had to cut the line off. :( This hasn't really happened to me before like that. Anything I should do to prevent this in the future?

faster retreives? not realy sometimes they go too crazy for a lure and swallow before they chew.

tommyguitar
07-28-2011, 11:09 PM
So you're saying there's nothing you can really do? I feel bad and I don't know if I will want to use dual treble hook lure again for catch and release fishing. I don't think the battle was actually ten minutes, but it sure felt like it because it was intense! She said, Help me! I told her there was nothing I could help with. Good times.

Dust1n
07-28-2011, 11:15 PM
So you're saying there's nothing you can really do? I feel bad and I don't know if I will want to use dual treble hook lure again for catch and release fishing. I don't think the battle was actually ten minutes, but it sure felt like it because it was intense! She said, Help me! I told her there was nothing I could help with. Good times.

well im saying you may not catch as much you can upsize your lure, speed up the retrevve and take off the middle treble and replace the back one with a circle hook.they wont always be like that

Lefty-Canuck
07-28-2011, 11:15 PM
Leave the front treble on and leave the rear bare or put a single on the back. Could also toss a single both front and back to help for a cleaner release.

LC

tommyguitar
07-28-2011, 11:17 PM
Do different hooks change the swimming pattern at all?

Dust1n
07-28-2011, 11:18 PM
Do different hooks change the swimming pattern at all?

not realy unless there realy big

The Fisherman Guy
07-29-2011, 12:03 AM
Remove the front hook, and swap the rear hook with a single red gamakatsu. You will lose less $$ crankbaits, will have just as many hookups, and releasing fish is much easier.

the local angler
07-29-2011, 05:07 PM
what i do is leave the trebles on and using a pair of plyers bend two of the three hooks on each treble hook inwards towards the main shaft and leave one so only one of the hooks on each treble is in use. i do this with my spinners cause i hate hooking small fish hooking them on both the bottom and above. some have told me but i am not sure how much i believe it but they tell me the lures are balanced with the hooks and if you change the hooks to a single it may throw off the action of the lure. kinda sounds hoaky to me. lol

wildcat111
07-29-2011, 09:26 PM
i would change the hooks to single hooks, i do this with all my lures and spinners, makes for a much easier release and i can say that it hasn't reduce the amount of fish i have caught. caught a nice nice burb on a fly last year, very exciting.

Willowtrail
07-29-2011, 10:27 PM
Maybe buy a set of jaw spreaders and then you can most likely get your lure back. I have a set in my boat for those pesky pike that insist on clamping their mouth shut.

RavYak
07-29-2011, 10:46 PM
Jaw spreaders(or something to put in mouth and keep it open) and long nosed pliers should help you get almost any hook out. I am not believe in leaving the lure in the fish, its likely just going to kill it anyway. Imo if you absolutely have to rip it out and put the fish back, yes it will likely die but it isn't going to happen that often and its not like the fish is just going to waste(something will eat it).