PDA

View Full Version : BC Reg Question: Okanagan Lake

DarkAisling
07-31-2011, 09:24 AM
A couple of questions for the folks who fish the Okanagan.

Hubby is out there on vacation right now, and the poor dear is completely overwhelmed by the regs (I'm sure fishing with five kids isn't helping)! Usually I go through all of the regs and tell him what he can/can't do on a specific body of water. I've gone through the regs online, and want to make sure I haven't missed anything.

It looks like Okanagan Lake is pretty much the only lake in BC where barbs must be pinched. Yes/no?

It looks like trebles are allowed. Yes/no? I can only find reference to single hooks being required for streams, and there is nothing under the lake specific regs for the Okanagan that indicates trebles can't be used.

According to hubby "Very ambiguous. Sloppy documentation."

I've told him to stick with barbless single hooks for now, but he's only got two singles in his tackle box so there are some unhappy kiddies.

Thx :)

tommyguitar
07-31-2011, 09:31 AM
:)

All of BC is single barbless for streams, rivers and sloughs. Lakes are OK unless it says no barbs in the water specific tables. You're going to need to buy some single hooks because treble hooks aren't allowed.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/regulations/docs/1113/fishing-synopsis_2011-13_region8.pdf
Page 77. Okanagan lake is barbless.

DarkAisling
07-31-2011, 09:37 AM
All of BC is barbless single hook.

That is not what the regulations seem to state. Can you direct me to the exact section of the regulations that states that?

What I see is:

It is unlawful to ....
- Use barbed hooks or a hook with more than one point in any river, stream, creek, or slough in B.C. (Note: the used of barbed hooks in lakes is permitted, unless noted in the Regional Water-Specific Tables)

The table for Okanagan Lake indicates that barbless is required there, but is does not specify if single pointed hooks are required.

It indicates that single pointed hooks are only required in rivers, streams, creeks, and sloughs. Where does it say single pointed hooks only in lakes?

The quote I've posted comes from a photograph that hubby took of the most recent hardcopy regs and sent to me.

tommyguitar
07-31-2011, 09:43 AM
Sorry. Yes you were right about being allowed to use barbs in the lake if it states so in the water specific tables. But did you see this? Page 9.
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/regulations/docs/1113/fishing-synopsis_2011-13_provincial.pdf

ALLOWABLE FISHING METHODS
Although angling is the most popular form of sport fishing in British Columbia, there are other methods that you can use to take fish. Your basic fishing licence entitles you to:
angle ... fish (with or without a rod) with one fishing line to which only one hook, one artificial lure OR one artificial fly is attached.

DarkAisling
07-31-2011, 09:45 AM
You're going to need to buy some single hooks because treble hooks aren't allowed.

Where does it specifically say that treble hooks are not allowed in lakes? I don't see it.

If you keep editing your post things are going to get very, very confusing. ;)

DarkAisling
07-31-2011, 09:46 AM
ALLOWABLE FISHING METHODS
Although angling is the most popular form of sport fishing in British Columbia, there are other methods that you can use to take fish. Your basic fishing licence entitles you to:
angle ... fish (with or without a rod) with one fishing line to which only one hook, one artificial lure OR one artificial fly is attached.

Missed that! That seems to clarify. Thank you :)

I knew that someone here would be able to help!

:love0025:

EDIT: Wait a minute. That doesn't clarify. That says "one hook" . . . not "one point."

One hook means that you can only have one hook . . . it says nothing about the number of points that hook may have. A treble is one hook that has three points.

:angry3:

Buckwheat
07-31-2011, 09:55 AM
Treble hooks are fine unless it specifies single barbless in the details for each specific lake

DarkAisling
07-31-2011, 10:47 AM
Treble hooks are fine unless it specifies single barbless in the details for each specific lake

That's what I'm thinking, and that's what I've told hubby. He agrees that's what the regulations seem to indicate.

He is going to call the regional office of BC F&W on Tuesday just to be 100% sure.

RavYak
07-31-2011, 10:50 AM
Looks fine to me to use treble but the regs aren't really clear. Easiest way to find out would be to phone F&W, regional office for Okanagan area is
(250) 490-820.

Speaking of unclear regs, man do the alberta ones **** me off. Over half the booklet is adds and there are little things hidden throughout. I wouldn't mind it if they put the adds at the back but putting them everywhere throughout the book just makes it difficult to find information.

RavYak
07-31-2011, 10:55 AM
Scratch that I am sure treble hooks are fine.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/regulations/docs/1113/fishing-synopsis_2011-13_region8.pdf

Okanagan "barbless hooks"
Lost Lake "single barbless hook"

Redfrog
07-31-2011, 10:56 AM
I have a question. How does your keyboard even allow you to type "vacation" and "5 kids" in the same sentence?:angry3:

DarkAisling
07-31-2011, 11:09 AM
I have a question. How does your keyboard even allow you to type "vacation" and "5 kids" in the same sentence?:angry3:

Lol. Actually, there are eleven kids out at the cabin, but only five of them are fishing.

Maybe I'm the one who is actually "on vacation?" :evilgrin:

Back on the topic . . . I should point out that my original query was not clear and this may have caused some confusion.

Exactly what I was wondering . . .
Can they use single, barbless hooks, with more than one point on Okanagan Lake? The answer appears to be "yes."

My apologies for any confusion that my lack of clarity may have caused with regards to the single hook/point conundrum. :o

tommyguitar
07-31-2011, 11:29 AM
Hey Shelley, thanks for pointing out the inconsistencies in the regs. I'll be bringing it up to the director of resource management.