PDA

View Full Version : Atv section..

Coldone
07-31-2011, 11:29 AM
So just curious.. I finally got a quad and was curious why the forum doesn't have a section dedicated for this activity? Itd be nice to see and share ideas from fellow albertans.. Just curious of course ;)

Redfrog
07-31-2011, 11:44 AM
I suspect it's because the powers that be didn't realize you had an atv now.:)

I'm kidding.:) They knew.:)

I like having ATV or other gear questions and posts in the general forum. That way a lot more people get to see the pluses and negatives of atv ownership.

Anytime a forum is added IMHO it further separates us. It's tough to get support for atv trails or access if no one except atv owners know the issues.
Put an atv forum up and only atv guys will go there.

lilsundance
07-31-2011, 11:53 AM
To many boards have had a multitude of forums and never get used. Spread out, less people use them, you get less input from people.
As well the more forums, the harder to moderate.

Ken07AOVette
07-31-2011, 11:57 AM
I have seen multiple requests looking for more sections which would result in further separation; boating, fly fishing, camping, fly tying, atv's, utv's, crossbow.....

Where would it end?

Coldone
07-31-2011, 12:23 PM
Gotcha.. I had done an atv search and saw a Ton of posts so was just curious. I really enjoy this forum and was just thinking of away I could spend more time here :)

Big Daddy Badger
07-31-2011, 12:39 PM
It might be because a lot of us really really hate the darn things and wish they'd be banned (at least from hunting) forever.
I've read quit a few comments here that suggest to me...ATV guys might be setting themselves up for a flaming and I'm sorry but I'm no fan of the darn things either.

Nothing personal.

I know that odds are you are probably like most guys and don't go flying across the countryside on a machine that sounds like an un-muffled main battle tank... tearing up the pastures, and alpine meadows. You probably never cut a fence just so you didn't have to drive to a gate to get access to the other side. You never took you quad off road to truck hunt...you never shoot from your quad because you think you are far enough from the road... that no one will see you. You never drove or chased down game animals on your quad. You never harassed some ones cattle by chasing them across fields but...there have been enough guys that did to really upset some folks.

In fact... most of the landowners I know.... specifically ban ATVs on their land because they are tired of damage to their pastures.

Again...I know most Quaders are decent, responsible and respectful people but it only takes a few to spoil it for everyone and nobody sits around talking about the nice things Quaders do...like hauling litter out of the bush, helping guys recover animals, letting farmers know when there is a break in the fence line, helping them find strays....etc

The shame of it is that good Quaders are just as powerless as good hunters when it comes to the bad behaviors of others. You can't be responsible for every other guy out there and can't report what you never witnessed but like the pro firearms registry folks...it is a hard sell to people that don't use them or have seen some bad press.

Regards.

bezzola
07-31-2011, 01:09 PM
go to snow and mud.com its a good site

Coltye
07-31-2011, 01:27 PM
It might be because a lot of us really really hate the darn things and wish they'd be banned (at least from hunting) forever.
I've read quit a few comments here that suggest to me...ATV guys might be setting themselves up for a flaming and I'm sorry but I'm no fan of the darn things either.

Nothing personal.

I know that odds are you are probably like most guys and don't go flying across the countryside on a machine that sounds like an un-muffled main battle tank... tearing up the pastures, and alpine meadows. You probably never cut a fence just so you didn't have to drive to a gate to get access to the other side. You never took you quad off road to truck hunt...you never shoot from your quad because you think you are far enough from the road... that no one will see you. You never drove or chased down game animals on your quad. You never harassed some ones cattle by chasing them across fields but...there have been enough guys that did to really upset some folks.

In fact... most of the landowners I know.... specifically ban ATVs on their land because they are tired of damage to their pastures.

Again...I know most Quaders are decent, responsible and respectful people but it only takes a few to spoil it for everyone and nobody sits around talking about the nice things Quaders do...like hauling litter out of the bush, helping guys recover animals, letting farmers know when there is a break in the fence line, helping them find strays....etc

The shame of it is that good Quaders are just as powerless as good hunters when it comes to the bad behaviors of others. You can't be responsible for every other guy out there and can't report what you never witnessed but like the pro firearms registry folks...it is a hard sell to people that don't use them or have seen some bad press.

Regards.

And there you go,Pesky knows it all.:argue2:

deanmc
07-31-2011, 01:31 PM

Nothing personal.

Regards.

Sounds like a quadder must have peed in your Corn flakes this morning.

Ken07AOVette
07-31-2011, 01:36 PM
If you bought a yamaha, go to www.totallyamaha.com which is an excellent resource, anything you want to know about the best recreation engines ever made. :sHa_shakeshout:

If you bought other than yamaha, shame on you :snapoutofit:

BIG AL
07-31-2011, 01:42 PM
Pesky, you talking about quadders or how some people use their trucks during hunting season? Let's ban the use of those too. In either case it's not the machines that are the problem but the people driving them.

Cal
07-31-2011, 01:46 PM
This happens to be an outdoors forum and ATV's are, as they should be, treated like more of a means to an end in the context of AO's intended subject mater than a main topic. If you want a section where ATV's are the main subject plenty of those exist elsewhere on motorsport forums. There are probably as many AO members who ride motorcycles and play golf as there are who are ATV nuts. Despite the fact that all these sports happen outdoors if would be a little silly to try to accomodate them on a forum that mostly deals with hunting and fishing, thus the general discusion page.

Mistagin
07-31-2011, 01:53 PM
:sign0016:

A couple of other good sites, biased towards CanAm's of course :):
http://www.can-amtalk.com/forums/index.php?act=idx
http://www.can-amforum.com/

:rolleye2::"I know that odds are you are probably like most guys and don't go flying across the countryside on a machine that sounds like an un-muffled main battle tank... tearing up the pastures, and alpine meadows. You probably never cut a fence just so you didn't have to drive to a gate to get access to the other side. You never took you quad off road to truck hunt...you never shoot from your quad because you think you are far enough from the road... that no one will see you. You never drove or chased down game animals on your quad. You never harassed some ones cattle by chasing them across fields but...there have been enough guys that did to really upset some folks."
Sheesh, wayda perpetuate the negative stereotype :sign0176:

:party0052:

Big Daddy Badger
07-31-2011, 06:04 PM
Sounds like a quadder must have peed in your Corn flakes this morning.

haha...you got me.

I have a special hatred for quads ever since my lawn mower left me for one... And lately I've noticed my neighbours Gator eye-ballin my roto-tiller and THAT is really starting to get me fired up...lol

Seriously, I wasn't trying to stir anything up and I wasn't meaning to sound sarcastic if that is how it was taken by some.

The guy asked an honest question...which indicated to me that he is an interested and community minded outdoorsman. I ventured an opinion as to why a forum might not be here...I did not say a forum should not be here.
Maybe I missed the mark but... from the responses...I think that maybe....just maybe...I was a bit too close for comfort for some people.

The good ATV guys must get tired of hearing these stories but you must have noticed that some folks hop on the darn things and forget that they need to use them in a manner that is courteous and minimizes damage. If you like the wind in your hair and play nice...all the power to you..go hard.

Sorry if I struck a nerve...with anyone... again, that wasn't my intent and I think a forum my be a good place to start to address the issues of the baddies that give you guys so much grief. If you manage to do that...my feelings about quads could change but for now...I'm not a huge fan.
I'm also not a huge fan of jacked up trucks with huge tires driving about making their own roads and tearing up the countryside... but that doesn't mean that I think everyone that drives a 4x4 is a jerk anymore than I think every guy on a quad is one.

There has been a huge increase in damage to sensitive land since ATVs came along because access to irresponsible people has been made easier by ATVs. It isn't the equipment itself... it's the odd guy that just doesn't care what others think or about how much damage he causes and one simple solution would be to ban them from hunting except for rare instances. There may be others as well but that is one solution that I would not object to at this time...sorry.

I'd be willing to bet that there were an awful lot of people upset when they decided to make it illegal to shoot from near by their vehicles or when snow mobile use was restricted but I think most people now would agree that in order to address the problems caused by a few people then... we were all forced to make concessions that sometimes seem unfair.

A forum might be a good step towards solving some of these problems that still exist the same way that organizing quad clubs has seemed to help. Maybe this will help Quaders maintain the right to use their vehicles without further bans or restrictions and lets hope it does... that way everybody wins.

Good Luck Happy Trails.

AB RANGER 007
07-31-2011, 07:35 PM
:sign0016:

A couple of other good sites, biased towards CanAm's of course :):
http://www.can-amtalk.com/forums/index.php?act=idx
http://www.can-amforum.com/

:rolleye2::"I know that odds are you are probably like most guys and don't go flying across the countryside on a machine that sounds like an un-muffled main battle tank... tearing up the pastures, and alpine meadows. You probably never cut a fence just so you didn't have to drive to a gate to get access to the other side. You never took you quad off road to truck hunt...you never shoot from your quad because you think you are far enough from the road... that no one will see you. You never drove or chased down game animals on your quad. You never harassed some ones cattle by chasing them across fields but...there have been enough guys that did to really upset some folks."
Sheesh, wayda perpetuate the negative stereotype :sign0176:

:party0052:

:angry3: Gee, thank you for all these great IDEAS. :argue2: but you fogot the one about riding in and out of the creeks and rivers to wash the mud off their machines. :sign0161: Another great site for Polaris Rangers is the Polaris Ranger Club Forum. PRC.

Bruce. :scared0018:

sjd
07-31-2011, 08:34 PM
I wish we had an Alberta Chapter of these guys:

http://www.backcountryhunters.org

"The Adventures Begin Where the Roads End"

"All Americans have a right to enjoy our public lands and waters – but no small minority has a right to damage those public treasures or ruin the experience of others enjoying the Great Outdoors. We agree with former Forest Service Chief Dale Bosworth when he said that unmanaged motorized recreation is one of the great threats to our National Forests.

Hunters and anglers are acutely aware of how the abuse of off-road vehicles scars the land, pollutes water, spreads weeds, frighten wildlife and destroys solitude. Many of us can tell stories of stalks ruined, peace and quiet shattered and pack strings spooked by illegal off-road vehicles.

All wildlife needs security provided by habitat. Excessive motorized access destroys habitat security, degrading opportunities and the experience of the majority of hunters and anglers. We support reasonable rules – and swift enforcement – that stop motorized abuse of public lands."

and

"

Big Daddy Badger
07-31-2011, 10:52 PM
:angry3: Gee, thank you for all these great IDEAS. :argue2: but you fogot the one about riding in and out of the creeks and rivers to wash the mud off their machines. :sign0161: Another great site for Polaris Rangers is the Polaris Ranger Club Forum. PRC.

Bruce. :scared0018:

Sorry Bruce,

But it isn't like some guys (and I'm not saying you or any of the other AO members) don't give us lots of ammo to work with. Some guys just can't stick to established trails...not my fault for recognizing that.

If Quaders don't even want to acknowledge the problem does exist...and if we can't talk about it...no solution will be found and the clock will probably run down to the point where there will be greater restrictions than those that already exist which, is too bad really because I can see why guys like them.
And I can also see why you are a bit angry...I would be to if I'd forked up the coin for a quad only to have others in my community dragging me down while I was powerless to do anything about it.

Seems to be the way these things always go though.

I may be wrong but it seems to me that the walk in only trend started about 25 or 30 years ago...right on the heels of the ATV surge.
Funny....guys had been driving in and out of those areas in 4WD trucks for what ? 40 years...even longer in 2WD and before that..horses and sure they damaged a lot of land but what it took 4x4s 40 years to do...ATVs and careless people just about doubled in 2-3 years in many areas. I remember when even the 4x4 fanatics started to complain about their favorite hills getting torn up.

BC recognized the problem and started reining guys in by the mid-late 80's and I could show you spots that haven't been driven on since then but still wear the scars laid down by self entitled guys that didn't see anything wrong with what they were doing. Like now many ATV owners ignored the problem or tried to deny it existed at all and a fat lot of good it did them.

You are entitled to your opinion...me to mine but I gotta tell ya...if it ever came down to a vote...who...(aside from ATV salesmen and some ATV owners) in this day and age would support the right of the few to take it off road at the expense of the environment and the enjoyment of natural areas that we are all entitled to?

Thats a tough one to sell but...good luck with that all the same.

I just think it would be much easier to acknowledge the problem and work towards a solution before one ends up being imposed.

All the best...have a safe and successful fall hunt.

GunnerySgtJackson
08-01-2011, 07:04 AM
I have an ATV and use it for hunting etc. Great tool for the outdoors and recreation when used properly. See the link for an example of the fools that nix it for the responsible users. Looking at the land features in the link, I'm thinking the province he is in(NL), it is illegal to be doing what he is doing! This is your brain on crack and an ATV!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NduK7UWa6w&feature=related

honda450
08-01-2011, 07:41 AM
I have an ATV and use it for hunting etc. Great tool for the outdoors and recreation when used properly. See the link for an example of the fools that nix it for the responsible users. Looking at the land features in the link, I'm thinking the province he is in(NL), it is illegal to be doing what he is doing! This is your brain on crack and an ATV!

We have our share of fools in Alberta too, seen my share this past month.

Coldone
08-01-2011, 12:32 PM
Well.. This would be why I had asked.. I mostly read and respect what a lot of the forums suggestions. Thought a good way to get some advice and suggestions to minimize damage, learn, get advice from fellow ao members where we could learn from each other...

NoKlu
08-01-2011, 08:59 PM
atvquadsquad,Highlifter,and Atvfrontier are the forums I go to for any and all info for Quadding. Snow and mud is a newer one but they have a lot of info on rally's.

Big Daddy Badger
08-02-2011, 02:37 AM

Good on ya.

Thats what I mean....most guys just putt along trails roads and fence lines...if they go cross country they take it easy and try not to tear it up.

But one idiot shows up and it's no end of grief.

Gotta get rid of the baddies somehow....

catnthehat
08-02-2011, 06:34 AM
Idjits on quads in trucks and boats, and doing anything else stupid with their machines is not why we do not have a separate forum.
It was stated earlier that this is an outdoors forum, and to give every special interest group their own forum would stall the other ones.
I would like a shotgun forum but there are other websites that have those, so I go there occasionally.
Wanna get flamed?
Go to one of those "special " forum like quad racing , trap shooting, BPCR, etc and ask a simple , general question.

I ran snowmobiles for years - on a trap line.
To think of going out and playing with one just for the fun of it is something I cannot get my head around.

Yet I'll take my jet boat up the river just tom go for a ride!:confused:
I'm an outdoorsman, and what I'm outdoors with is not nearly so important as being outdoors!:)
Cat

rhuntley12
08-02-2011, 07:30 AM
I think as mentioned if there were different forum subjects for every such subject half of them would be empty. I've been getting into trail riding (the kind with 4 legs) this year and would like a category for that but realize that it probably wouldn't be very active.

I'd probably never visit the atv category myself, but if its posted in general discussion I usually read it anyway and comment if I have anything to say. I've found good info on things that way by reading topic I wouldn't have if they were in another category.

Think of the ATV flamewars that would be missed out on!! :thinking-006: