PDA

View Full Version : Have you Caught all the Game fish in Alberta ?

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
07-31-2011, 04:02 PM
Recently was on a trip to the mountains , Kananaskis country . with this constantly in the back of my mind having to catch a bull trout then I had caught all the GAME fish in Alberta . Wondering if anyone else here has done so .

Well I dider got em all . Pretty cool to say I have done that at very least .

sureshot
07-31-2011, 04:17 PM
I just need a grayling, golden trout, and a sauger.

Andy

buckmasterjr
07-31-2011, 04:26 PM
I need all the trout exept rainbow. I need grayling and rocky mtn whites and thats about it. As for non game fish i havent caught a quillback sucker yet.

Sundancefisher
07-31-2011, 04:35 PM
excluding bass...which may be left but in small numbers...I have caught all yet golden trout.

I have also caught splake which was once stocked but not any more.

Outside of sportfishing...I have also caught

Lake Chub
Mountain Suckers
White Suckers
Longnosed Suckers
Quillback Suckers
Silver Redhorse Suckers

I have not caught two of the sucker species.

Largescale Suckers and Shorthead Redhorse.

fishman
07-31-2011, 04:54 PM
i haven't caught sturgeon but not sure if it is a game fish
golden trout caught in northern california does that count
lake trout yes
bull trout yes
rainbow yes
brookies yes
brown trout yes
splake yes
tigers yes
wallleye yes
pike yes
pearch yes
white fish rocky and lake yes
sauger yes
steelhead yes
cuthtroat yes
salmon yes
grayling yes
List is short sturgeon and not excited about catching one

whitetail Junkie
07-31-2011, 04:55 PM
Everything but Golden Trout!

Scott N
07-31-2011, 05:30 PM
Golden Trout seems to be the rare one. But... you have to work for them.

Dust1n
07-31-2011, 06:49 PM
yup but still hunting for a chubb though didnt know we had them in alberta
including largies,smallies,rock bass,squawfish,sunfish,bluegill, catfish.

I realy want to catch an aroura trout!!!:mad3:

outdoors forever
07-31-2011, 07:20 PM
NOT EVEN CLOSE!!! :)

I've caught :

pike
burbot
perch
walleye

Thats it. :scared:

Itsmyfishingshow
07-31-2011, 07:25 PM
glad ive found other people who get a feeling when they catch a new fish they havent yet. its like pokemon gotta catch em all.

anyway im filling up my list.
recently completed:
steelhead
brook trout

in my sights:
bull trout
whitefish
mountain whitefish
burbot
sturgeon.(if theyre in sturgeon river but i think that river is just a dump)

buckbrushoutdoors
07-31-2011, 07:41 PM
Hey BBJ where did u catch your golden trout?

mikeo2
07-31-2011, 07:43 PM
I see a couple people have steelhead on the list, since when did we get steelhead in Alberta?

fishman
07-31-2011, 08:01 PM
I see a couple people have steelhead on the list, since when did we get steelhead in Alberta?

If u do your research you will find that there is a couple places, not where you think but they are there one place is in a lake

Steven Noel
07-31-2011, 08:09 PM
If u do your research you will find that there is a couple places, not where you think but they are there one place is in a lake

I'm sorry but there are no Steelhead in Alberta. A Steelhead is a sea-run rainbow trout. Alberta lacks seas.

The steelhead is a sea run rainbow trout (anadromous) usually returning to freshwater to spawn after 2 to 3 years at sea. In other words, rainbow trout and steelhead trout are the same species.

Both have the same scientific latin name; Oncorhynchus mykiss.

mikeo2
07-31-2011, 08:12 PM
Whoever was giving you this information is wrong, steelhead are ocean run rainbows and last time I checked they couldn't make it over the great divide, so unless someone constructed a river across the mountains connecting Alberta and the pacific ocean we do not have steelhead in Alberta.

***Steve types faster than me***

Badflies
07-31-2011, 08:25 PM
Heyo,
In recent years I have crossed off bulls, sauger and brookies, but 3 fish still elude my grasp. Goldeye, which run through the city I live in (no excuse), golden trout and grayling. Those last two require some pretty specific expeditions. If you are signed off on all AB gamefish which ones were the last ones on the list?

*** oh and I catch steelhead here all the time, they run two weeks after the coho up the bow river :thinking-006:

WayneChristie
07-31-2011, 08:32 PM
I caught them all, but dont worry, I put them all back:bad_boys_20:

ishootbambi
07-31-2011, 08:37 PM

i wanna know too? they dont live anywhere i know of that doesnt require a pretty good hike.

fishpro
07-31-2011, 08:40 PM
Actually some of the rainbows in Alberta are of the steelhead strain. The rainbows that were introduced into the Bow River came from the steelhead from one coastal strain.

As for my list, I have caught:
Rainbow Trout
Brown Trout
Brook Trout
Cutthroat Trout
Golden Trout
Lake Trout
Bull Trout
Dolly Varden (caught in BC, but is an Alberta sport fish)
Splake
Mountain Whitefish
Lake Whitefish
Arctic Grayling
Pike
Walleye
Perch
Sauger (in Sask)
Burbot
Goldeye (in Sask)

I have the following remaining:
Lake Sturgeon
Arctic Char (Quebec Red Trout)
Mooneye

WayneChristie
07-31-2011, 08:44 PM
Actually some of the rainbows in Alberta are of the steelhead strain. The rainbows that were introduced into the Bow River came from the steelhead from one coastal strain.

As for my list, I have caught:
Rainbow Trout
Brown Trout
Brook Trout
Cutthroat Trout
Golden Trout
Lake Trout
Bull Trout
Dolly Varden (caught in BC, but is an Alberta sport fish)
Splake
Mountain Whitefish
Lake Whitefish
Arctic Grayling
Pike
Walleye
Perch
Sauger (in Sask)
Burbot
Goldeye (in Sask)

I have the following remaining:
Lake Sturgeon
Arctic Char (Quebec Red Trout)
Mooneye

tons of mooneyes around here, probably caught 50 or 60 the last couple weeks, with 5 sturgeon thrown into the mix. my first sturgeon . definitely not my last. now my favourite Alberta fish

mikeo2
07-31-2011, 08:46 PM

That doesn't make them steelhead, just makes them rainbows, in order for it to be a steelhead it needs to spend time in the ocean and return to the rivers for spawning.

Steven Noel
07-31-2011, 08:54 PM
That doesn't make them steelhead, just makes them rainbows, in order for it to be a steelhead it needs to spend time in the ocean and return to the rivers for spawning.

Exactly. Genetically they are the same. Only location differentiates them.

ishootbambi
07-31-2011, 08:57 PM
Exactly. Genetically they are the same. Only location differentiates them.

same thing as an alaskan brown bear and an alberta grizzly......

maclennanchris
07-31-2011, 10:09 PM
Just cant seem to catch the Panty Trout..........

horsetrader
07-31-2011, 10:20 PM
I'm still trying to catch a PICKEREL

fishman
07-31-2011, 11:12 PM
Hummmmmmmmmm so if a steelhead decides to stay in his birth river his whole life then he isn't a steelhead...wowww and genes has nothing to do with it..........so if u take a yellowstone cutthroat and plant in alberta water he is now a canadian............lol

slivers86
07-31-2011, 11:15 PM
All i've got is

pike
rainbow
cutt
whitefish

tomorrow will likely be walleye, and hopefully brookie :D

Steven Noel
07-31-2011, 11:17 PM
Hummmmmmmmmm so if a steelhead decides to stay in his birth river his whole life then he isn't a steelhead...wowww and genes has nothing to do with it..........so if u take a yellowstone cutthroat and plant in alberta water he is now a canadian............lol

But you see unlike a Westslope Cutthroat Trout (which is a distinct subspecies of Cutthroat Trout, gentically seperate from other Cutthroat Trout subspecies) a Steelhead is laregly not genetically specific but rather a type of Rainbow Trout
that is predominately located in an ocean or great lake and exhibits the trait of being anadromous.

Alberta Bigbore
07-31-2011, 11:34 PM

x2 ? I remember mine... big $$ for the helicopter, to lazy to hike in. scenery was breathtaking

trapshooter
08-01-2011, 12:39 AM
I am 13 and have caught:

Rainbow Trout
Perch
Pike
Long Nose Suckers
Walleye
Kokannee (In B.C.)
Large Mouth Bass (In B.C.)

Thats It :(

npauls
08-01-2011, 12:43 AM
All I have left is grayling and golden trout. The worst part was that I was camped pretty damn close to the trail head up to a golden lake this whole weekend and am not capable of making the hike right now. It taunted me all weekend and once I am healed up I will be tackling that hike and checking that fish off of the list.

For the grayling I am not sure if I want to hike in and locate the small amount down in the south or head north for a trip and check them off easily at a few known grayling waters.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
08-01-2011, 12:44 AM
I was13 or 14 my grandpa my uncle and I hiked about 14 hrs Into corral lake we camped there for 5 days what a beautiful place that is. i we also fished them in kananaskis at tombstone lake. Same place I caught my first grey ing have fished wedge pond since for grey ing.

KegRiver
08-01-2011, 01:13 AM
To answer the question. No, and I don't intend to.

I've caught Raindow Trout, Cutthroat Trout, Brown Trout, Grayling, Mountain Whitefish, Goldeye, Burbot, Pike and Walleye.

Now I target Goldeye, Pike and Walleye. That's all I need.

Geezle
08-01-2011, 08:33 AM
I think I've caught pretty much every game species I can without going over to a fly rod :lol:

TheLegend
08-01-2011, 10:37 AM
Bull trout
Rainbow trout
Pike
Perch
Walleye

Will not be able to get the rest this summer but hopefully catch a Brown and a brookie before summer is out.:)

WillyOneStyle
08-01-2011, 11:23 AM
I think I've caught pretty much every game species I can without going over to a fly rod :lol:

And what a great time of year to start fly fishing it is!

Lunker4Life
08-01-2011, 11:24 AM
I am not even close ive caught
Northern Pike
Walleye
Sauger

Ive caught smallmouth bass, large mouth bass, Channel Catfish, White bass, and freshwater Drum as well but none of those are sportfish of A B i got a lot to go

Huntingonthebrain
08-01-2011, 11:34 AM
I just got this a couple weeks ago...

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c300/smithmp5/Golden%20Trout/IMG_3896.jpg

marlin1
08-01-2011, 11:43 AM
cool looking golden , That's on my list but may never get one who knows, sturgeon , and char are the others . I remember reading somewhere they stocked some char in Alberta , I could be wrong . If I am or they are gone that just leaves two . Got a sculpin in a hellgramite screen once back when you could fish with the hellgies , kind of cool to see

Steven Noel
08-01-2011, 12:17 PM
cool looking golden , That's on my list but may never get one who knows, sturgeon , and char are the others . I remember reading somewhere they stocked some char in Alberta , I could be wrong . If I am or they are gone that just leaves two . Got a sculpin in a hellgramite screen once back when you could fish with the hellgies , kind of cool to see

While there are no Arctic Char in Alberta, Dolly Vardin (a very close relative of the char) exist in Chester Lake in the Spray River Valley of Kananaskis.

marlin1
08-01-2011, 04:02 PM
those may be what I was thinking of , I remember them being in that area . If a Dolley is different than a bull trout then I haven't got one of those yet in this province either

fishpro
08-01-2011, 09:00 PM
While there are no Arctic Char in Alberta, Dolly Vardin (a very close relative of the char) exist in Chester Lake in the Spray River Valley of Kananaskis.

Actually there are Arctic Char in Alberta. There is the one landlocked strain of them known as Quebec Red Trout and they do exist in Alberta. The only place that has them is Block Lakes in Banff National Park, it's about a 40km hike in and involves a climb up a headwall from what I've heard. It's on my bucket list.

fishpro
08-01-2011, 09:44 PM
But you see unlike a Westslope Cutthroat Trout (which is a distinct subspecies of Cutthroat Trout, gentically seperate from other Cutthroat Trout subspecies) a Steelhead is laregly not genetically specific but rather a type of Rainbow Trout
that is predominately located in an ocean or great lake and exhibits the trait of being anadromous.

Are you sure? You could be right, but I do have one book about various species of fish that classifies the steelhead as a separate subspecies of rainbow trout. The rainbow trout has numerous varieties that can be recognized, but the only two classified subspecies are the steelhead and the red band.

marlin1
08-01-2011, 09:55 PM
Actually there are Arctic Char in Alberta. There is the one landlocked strain of them known as Quebec Red Trout and they do exist in Alberta. The only place that has them is Block Lakes in Banff National Park, it's about a 40km hike in and involves a climb up a headwall from what I've heard. It's on my bucket list.

dam guess thats three then I have yet to catch , I was sure I'd read about char in Alberta somewhere

chubbdarter
08-01-2011, 10:06 PM
I think there is two species of Grayling in AB also.....arctic and montana

Steven Noel
08-01-2011, 10:10 PM

I knew there were Quebec Red Trout in Block Lakes (accessed by experiances climbers or helipcopter pilots only) but I was unaware that Quebec Red Trout were simply landlocked Arctic Char. Thanks for the clarification.

Jayhad
08-02-2011, 09:48 AM
For char species in Alberta we have:
Bulls,
Brookies
Dollies
Lakers
AND ARCTICS... not many but during 2001 an illegally maintained population of Arctics were washed into one of the watersheds, I have yet to catch one but have seen one first hand

pickrel pat
08-02-2011, 09:56 AM
is there any salmon in alberta? i was driving to mcbride b.c yesterday and went through jasper and across border into b.c. not very far into b.c i started seeing salmon spawning habitat signs on the creeks and rivers. so my question is do they migrate far enough east to make it into alberta? i believe it was the frasier water system where i was seeing the signs.