Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Changes To Archery Mule Deer. (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=159850)

packhuntr 12-22-2012 06:50 PM

Ok, your first words were, "still is". Go ahead and blame archers. What i find funny about your above post is that you dont seem to understand what a big deer is. You apparently are the issue with regards to your lack of big deer on your wall, not archers Sir. If a "nice clean 190 typ", is all you need to pull the trigger, great,, keep passing up giant super hog mule deer in your search. I wont bauk at em for 2 seconds in my spotting scope lol. I as well want one of those, but i tell ya what, it aint archers that are preventing me from finding one slim, its SRD and 350 rifle muledeer buck tags per wmu, not mentioning does,, that is hurting the deer! When you learn what a big mule deer is and join planet earth, show us a picture, i look foreward to seeing your smilin mug behind one of these no scoring, go nowhere super crankers.
I dont wanna talk this stuff man, it doesnt have too much to do with our latest greatest ESRD disaster. Congrats on your buck and besta luck next time you get a tag. I will pray for you while im praying for something on my next tag,,, cause the way it looks, prayer is all we have left to turn to for fisheries and wildlife management. Our mule deer are in for one hell of a ride, the ones that are left anyways.

BigJon 12-22-2012 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packhuntr (Post 1763064)
Suppose now that its been established that a dead mule deer resource is all that srd desires,,,, even if a guy draws a mule deer tag, our early season archery experiences will be likely infiltrated by a bunch of guys packin xbows in open country, steam rolling everything alive with a shouldered and shot weapon. Shes a hell of a deal. And for anyone that wants to debate xguns vs archery go somewhere else and argue, after picking one up brand new and day one watching the kids shooting fist sized groups at 50 like its a 22-250. Shes a hell of a mess, and all the while issues that need attention are ignored/forgotten.

Wait...when was it decided that xbows were going to be considered archery gear? They'd have to be for them to be allowed in the early archery season...did I miss that part?

H380 12-22-2012 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigJon (Post 1764074)
Wait...when was it decided that xbows were going to be considered archery gear? They'd have to be for them to be allowed in the early archery season...did I miss that part?

I think what pack was getting at is the fact that the door now seems open to all the traffic will allow .

whitetail Junkie 12-23-2012 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packhuntr (Post 1763615)
Jryley, you are so far off its almost embarrasing. Collectively singing campfire songs will NOT fix the issues you are mistakingly envisioning as menial. Hows this for a common theme Jryley. Instead of SRD being sneaky and manipulating things (as usual) by killing this archery hunt in attempt to kill more deer, why not leave as is for 2 years while instituting mandatory 2 year arch mule registration. Good opportunity to get a solid idea of whats going on completely shot because of incompetence. Additionally i disagree about allocations. There should be resources enough that afew opportunities for outsiders should exist. Sure that situation needs a potential facelift, but i wont jump on the bandwagon that is crying over a handful of tags, not when these animals are being rifle-shot, clean off the alberta landscape by kill hungry residents looking to annually empty thier deer tag swelled pockets. I dont dislike people for thier view on this, but i wont agree that a small percentage of archers and afew non res aliens are what is going wrong here.

Of coarse you wont jump on the bandwagon,because you like the outfitters....I agree that maybe some opportunities for outsiders should exist,"ONLY" when residents opportunities are plentiful,which they are not right now!!!

in my opinion you are a hypocrite! Ive hunted big game in Alberta with a rifle only, since I was 12 years old.in 17 years ive got drawn for and shot only 4 mule deer bucks,in the last 4 years(2009,2010,2011,2012) you have killed 4 muledeer bucks with an arrow,so to say that animals are being rifle shot off the land scape is Total Bull Chit......You are a Hypocrite! ,You can sure preach about the poor job the esrd is doing,but nothing stops you from killing,Hypocrite!

duffy4 12-23-2012 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie (Post 1764910)
Of coarse you wont jump on the bandwagon,because you like the outfitters....I agree that maybe some opportunities for outsiders should exist,"ONLY" when residents opportunities are plentiful,which they are not right now!!!

in my opinion you are a hypocrite! Ive hunted big game in Alberta with a rifle only, since I was 12 years old.in 17 years ive got drawn for and shot only 4 mule deer bucks,in the last 4 years(2009,2010,2011,2012) you have killed 4 muledeer bucks with an arrow,so to say that animals are being rifle shot off the land scape is Total Bull Chit......You are a Hypocrite! ,You can sure preach about the poor job the esrd is doing,but nothing stops you from killing,Hypocrite!

Careful you are apparently breaking rules and insulting a fellow board member. You will likely get a warning for that. Or maybe not, who knows what the rules are anymore???

jryley 12-23-2012 07:15 PM

Quote:

Lol exactly WTJ! there are a few guys on this forum whos egos far outweigh what common sense and courtesy dictate. I have no doubts in my
Mind WHATSOEVER, that if the day came where Mule deer in its entirety was unavailable to everyone except bow hunters guys like pack would rejoice. They have no comprehension of what the outdoors community is and should be, as again, they are only concerned with how many sets of antlers they can brag about to their pals over drinks. Its truly a sad state of affairs and frankly i dont willingly associate myself with wannabes such as those types of fellows. They are a disgrace to the community and really habe no place with the guys that still view our resources as a publicly accessible opportunity.

Once again, its not hunting opportunity lost, its only one species. The reason the plugs are up in arms is quite simply its easier to find, hunt and shoot bug mule with their bow than a big cagey white. Its sad.

Outcast 12-23-2012 07:48 PM

I amagine if everyone that rifle hunts only picked up a bow and arrow and went out muley hunting from 2009 - 2012 they would each shoot 4 mulies equivalent of the quality that pack seems to be able to "park" year after year...........

If I had to wager a guess, me thinks that if the above was the case it would justifiably be on draw anyways and Pack would have a different outlook.

Wake up. It's not that easy!

Lefty-Canuck 12-23-2012 08:06 PM

What is the harvest success rate when comparing archery vs. Rifle?

LC

pottymouth 12-23-2012 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jryley (Post 1765301)

Once again, its not hunting opportunity lost, its only one species. The reason the plugs are up in arms is quite simply its easier to find, hunt and shoot bug mule with their bow than a big cagey white. Its sad.

Thanx for not picking up a bow and shooting sll the big muleys. I mean chasing cagey whitetails is eay more exciting than just killing HUGE muleys with the bow.

Oh and if packhunter can consistantly kill big muleys , then everyone should be able to.Heck muleys are so dumb ,every draw year , rifle guys should be sporting a new 200 incher for the trophy wall.

pottymouth 12-23-2012 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck (Post 1765392)
What is the harvest success rate when comparing archery vs. Rifle?

LC

According to the crying on AO , bowhunters are killing at a 100% efficiency with a 40yard weapon. While rifle hunters are struggling at less than 15% out to 700 yds.

In other news esrd has confirmed that mule deer are dumb and attracted to bows. Lmao

stringer 12-23-2012 09:21 PM

Quote:

You had the same opportunity but apparently you chose not to take it and now your blaming bowhunters for yor lack of succcess lol.

stringer 12-23-2012 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jryley (Post 1765301)
Lol exactly WTJ! there are a few guys on this forum whos egos far outweigh what common sense and courtesy dictate. I have no doubts in my
Mind WHATSOEVER, that if the day came where Mule deer in its entirety was unavailable to everyone except bow hunters guys like pack would rejoice. They have no comprehension of what the outdoors community is and should be, as again, they are only concerned with how many sets of antlers they can brag about to their pals over drinks. Its truly a sad state of affairs and frankly i dont willingly associate myself with wannabes such as those types of fellows. They are a disgrace to the community and really habe no place with the guys that still view our resources as a publicly accessible opportunity.

The reason most people i talked with that don't bowhunt is because they are unable to figure out how to shoot a bow from inside the cab of their truck.We all have the same oppertunity but some refuse to take it and then whine when some one else is successful.Pick up a bow and show us how it's done if you think its so easy.there's 200 in muledeer in every coulee.

jryley 12-23-2012 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stringer (Post 1765557)
The reason most people i talked with that don't bowhunt is because they are unable to figure out how to shoot a bow from inside the cab of their truck.We all have the same oppertunity but some refuse to take it and then whine when some one else is successful.Pick up a bow and show us how it's done if you think its so easy.there's 200 in muledeer in every coulee.

Been doing it (bow hunting) for 15 years. Dont know what that has to do with anything? If you can honestly look another hunter in the eye and say bow hunting whitetail or rifle
Hunting for that matter is easier than mule, even comparable...youre a bloody liar or a straight up hack.

Outcast 12-23-2012 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jryley (Post 1765585)
Been doing it (bow hunting) for 15 years. Dont know what that has to do with anything? If you can honestly look another hunter in the eye and say bow hunting whitetail or rifle
Hunting for that matter is easier than mule, even comparable...youre a bloody liar or a straight up hack.

Really.......its painful to read the crap you believe..

packhuntr 12-23-2012 10:44 PM

WOW. I have nothing more to say.

stringer 12-23-2012 10:47 PM

Quote:

Im looking in you strait in the eye and telling you that you don't have a clue what your talking about.I was bowhunting for 15 years 25 years ago.

Outcast 12-23-2012 10:48 PM

What's next.......are you "equal hunting for all folk" going to want general elk on draw because of guys like me that shoot a bull every year?

What else can we take away?

sakogreywolf 12-23-2012 10:53 PM

Quote:

Out of curiosity, what's your success rate with bow?

stringer 12-23-2012 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Outcast (Post 1765647)
What's next.......are you "equal hunting for all folk" going to want general elk on draw because of guys like me that shoot a bull every year?

What else can we take away?

Thats their plan and after that it will be WT.People should be careful what they wish for.

Stinky Coyote 12-23-2012 11:10 PM

trophyboy 12-23-2012 11:15 PM

Can't wait until next bow season. I spotted a big non-typical muley today and a couple good typicals and it's only my first day of scouting after the season, SWEET. When ESRD makes bow-hunting a draw in the zones that I hunt in, I will then utilize my landowner tag and continue to bow hunt. Life is good indeed.:sHa_shakeshout:

This is Alberta boys take what you can when you can!

Lefty-Canuck 12-23-2012 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stringer (Post 1765659)
Thats their plan and after that it will be WT.People should be careful what they wish for.

X2....I forget where I saw or read it but it seems the "manifest destiny" is to place everything on draw eventually and then we are all equally screwed and at the mercy of SRD.

LC

Lefty-Canuck 12-23-2012 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trophyboy (Post 1765686)
Can't wait until next bow season. I spotted a big non-typical muley today and a couple good typicals and it's only my first day of scouting after the season, SWEET. When ESRD makes bow-hunting a draw in the zones that I hunt in, I will then utilize my landowner tag and continue to bow hunt. Life is good indeed.:sHa_shakeshout:

This is Alberta boys take what you can when you can!

Me me me me me me me me me.....me me.....me

LC :)

trophyboy 12-23-2012 11:35 PM

Tired of all the stupidity in this province in regards to ESRD incompetence, so now, yes, you're right it is all about me and I really don't care anymore.:sHa_shakeshout:

pottymouth 12-23-2012 11:58 PM

Quote:

Ill look you straight in the eye and tell whitetail are 10 x easier.... They are way more patternable , and more susceptible to calling and attractants.

15 years of bowhunting should transend to 15 HUGE dumb muleys.... post them up , and prove to us who is smarter you or the dumb muleys..... oh and don't post no dynks .

And if you got none , then I would just apologize to packhunter.

Can't wait.

Icefisher2885 12-24-2012 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pottymouth (Post 1765741)
Ill look you straight in the eye and tell whitetail are 10 x easier.... They are way more patternable , and more susceptible to calling and attractants.

15 years of bowhunting should transend to 15 HUGE dumb muleys.... post them up , and prove to us who is smarter you or the dumb muleys..... oh and don't post no dynks .

And if you got none , then I would just apologize to packhunter.

Can't wait.

Not only that, but I don't see guys smashing huge mulies by sitting in a tree till one decides to walk by. It's also not hard to tell he doesn't hunt the SE corner of the province based on his commen referring to how we choose to hunt mules cause we can't figure out how to shoot big cagey whitetails. Pretty tough to shoot something that more or less doesnt exist in this part of the province.

super7mag 12-24-2012 08:05 AM

What a derail , how did this become a ****ing match about who can kill the bigger deer? The problem if we can get back on track, is by putting Mules on draw in only certain zones , while not aknowledging outfitter allocations , and land owners tags is counter productive. It will also just put more pressure on zones that still have a general tag( which I believe is the plan they had in mind all along). Deer hunters has proved the numbers used are fudged, what needs to happen is for hunters to actually force the ministry to show its numbers and reasoning for the decisions being made.

Is there anything on here that could be put forward as a group that can be agreed on?
: land owners tags for anterless only?
: outfitter allocations be adjusted for environmental fluctuations same as tag #s for residents?
: no wmu should have more no res tags then res tags ever?
: archery mule should ( if they are he'll bent on it) should have its own draw code similar to antelope?

Are there any of these we could get a concenus on?

missingtwo 12-24-2012 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by super7mag (Post 1765883)
What a derail , how did this become a ****ing match about who can kill the bigger deer? The problem if we can get back on track, is by putting Mules on draw in only certain zones , while not aknowledging outfitter allocations , and land owners tags is counter productive. It will also just put more pressure on zones that still have a general tag( which I believe is the plan they had in mind all along). Deer hunters has proved the numbers used are fudged, what needs to happen is for hunters to actually force the ministry to show its numbers and reasoning for the decisions being made.

Is there anything on here that could be put forward as a group that can be agreed on?
: land owners tags for anterless only?
: outfitter allocations be adjusted for environmental fluctuations same as tag #s for residents?
: no wmu should have more no res tags then res tags ever?
: archery mule should ( if they are he'll bent on it) should have its own draw code similar to antelope?

Are there any of these we could get a concenus on?

I agree with landowners antlerless only.
NO outfitter tags for any species that is on draw
The above 2 should negate the need for your other 2.

trophyboy 12-24-2012 09:24 AM

Anyone who's done any amount of actual hunting from anything other than a truck knows that whitetail are much easier to get with a bow than mule deer. As potty said they are patternable and mule deer just simply aren't. I thought that was pretty much common sense. I walked a ridiculous amount of miles this year trying to get my mule deer with the bow. :argue2:

sakogreywolf 12-24-2012 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trophyboy (Post 1765986)
Anyone who's done any amount of actual hunting from anything other than a truck knows that whitetail are much easier to get with a bow than mule deer. As potty said they are patternable and mule deer just simply aren't. I thought that was pretty much common sense. I walked a ridiculous amount of miles this year trying to get my mule deer with the bow. :argue2:

:D I am not a big guy by any means and I generally lose 5 - 10lbs during bow season.