Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Mandatory Breathalyzer (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=416162)

brslk 10-11-2022 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweld (Post 4566684)
Maybe you have a great personality. Myself, my wife and anyone I know that’s been pulled over it’s automatic. They made my wife blow with my grandma in the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nah, I drive 200kms a day and have been pulled over a few times in recent years (no tickets) and have never been asked to provide a breath sample.
Maybe it's just you

58thecat 10-11-2022 06:08 AM

My perspective, an extra few minutes at a check stop or when pulled over is nothing if it takes one or more drunks off the roads.

elkhunter11 10-11-2022 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 58thecat (Post 4566803)
My perspective, an extra few minutes at a check stop or when pulled over is nothing if it takes one or more drunks off the roads.

Except our courts don't keep them off of the roads, some people have been convicted many times of impaired driving. And people charged now, don't even get a trial, the government collects a fine. impound fees are collected, and many go right back to driving drunk, these days, it's more about revenue, than public safety.

58thecat 10-11-2022 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elkhunter11 (Post 4566807)
Except our courts don't keep them off of the roads, some people have been convicted many times of impaired driving. And people charged now, don't even get a trial, the government collects a fine. impound fees are collected, and many go right back to driving drunk, these days, it's more about revenue, than public safety.

True, that is the justice system which is a wash and rinse but tying these meatheads up just a little is good and bet you not that many have a life changing moment and don’t go back to drinking and driving which is a good thing.

So an extra few moments is nothing when getting pulled over.

Of course there are your hard core drunks etc that just don’t care:(

sewerrat 10-11-2022 07:00 AM

If you have nothing to hide then a check stop isn’t that big of a deal.

The had 2 here in Innisfail one on Sunday morning and one on Monday morning,

checking all the people that came from the west.

MyAlberta 10-11-2022 07:11 AM

How does the saying go, your freedom is my responsibility. If my inconvenience contributes to removal of an intoxicated driver, I’ll gladly volunteer. Must be past experience that reminds me of the carnage at stake.

Grizzly Adams1 10-11-2022 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 58thecat (Post 4566803)

A few real penalties might do way more. :D

Grizz

elkhunter11 10-11-2022 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 (Post 4566833)
A few real penalties might do way more. :D

Grizz

Exactly! But the authorities would rather hold up hundreds of law abiding citizens, than deal with one criminal, very much like our firearms laws. Our legal system has become an industry, make more laws, lay more charges, more people make money, yet we reduce sentences, and have more repeat offenders.

slough shark 10-11-2022 09:10 AM

I’ve had friends lose their siblings or parents to drunk driving, it’s terrible, I also know quite a few people who have had their license suspended, several of them learned so that’s good. To be honest I haven’t seen a drinking check stop for probably 15 years, I suppose I don’t really fit the profile of staying out drinking all night as I’m generally in bed before midnight. Maybe it’s me I never really minded them because it does keep at least some people honest and provides a bit of a deterrent to not over doing it and then driving home.

Unregistered user 10-11-2022 09:35 AM

When you stick that straw in your mouth do you know if it is sterile? Always ask for a new straw and insert it into the machine yourself. It is not refusing to provide a sample, you have the right to protect your own safety.

elkhunter11 10-11-2022 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered user (Post 4566874)
When you stick that straw in your mouth do you know if it is sterile? Always ask for a new straw and insert it into the machine yourself. It is not refusing to provide a sample, you have the right to protect your own safety.

With all of the recent mask nonsense, the least that they could do is have the straws in sealed packages, with only the person forced to blow, actually touching the straw .

bezzola 10-11-2022 11:38 AM

I was checked in a check stop last month and also when i was pulled over for my tinted windows. I think its a good thing. Both times he opened the package and i removed it

KGB 10-11-2022 11:43 AM

As a practicing religious Jew or Muslim, you can refuse to put this thing into your mouth if it is not certified kosher or halal… Sorry my dear Christian or catholic friends, you are SOL here, lol! :sHa_sarcasticlol:

bat119 10-11-2022 11:58 AM

The penalties are harsh still doesn't stop people from driving impaired Police across Saskatchewan laid 319 impaired driving charges in June.

Criminal code impaired driving charges come with an immediate, indefinite licence suspension and a minimum 30-day vehicle impoundment.

If the driver is convicted, they will face stiff fines that start at $1,000, safe driver recognition penalties starting at $1,250 and longer-term driving suspensions.

Impaired drivers must also take driver education and install Ignition Interlock in their vehicle.

It costs thousands to get a DUI yet some still do it, blowing on a traffic stop is one way to screen drivers not really a big deal.

does it ALL outdoors 10-11-2022 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweld (Post 4566734)

From that link,

They stopped almost 12,000 vehicles and ended up with 23 DUI's and 2 drug impaired drivers, what is that, 2%? What a colossal waste of time.

How many bad drivers out there cause death? A LOT more than impaired drivers im sure, I would be tickled pink if they did their "Big Ticket Event" all year long instead of just the week or two a year they do it now. Unless someone has their phone in their hand chances of getting a ticket for what falls under bad driving are pretty slim, something about low hanging fruit.

I quit watching the "news" years ago, but they would always end their bad driving story with "alcohol and speed were not believed to be factors", but bad driving was the main factor, and just cause it doesn't fall under the speed or alcohol premise the bad drivers seem to get a pass. Where else can you run someone over and kill them with your car and get away with often a small traffic ticket, if anything at all? But if that person had one drop of booze in their system that changes everything, and they focus on the booze, not the bad driving. If you run someone over, especially in a crosswalk you should have your license revoked on the spot.

Time to focus on the REAL problem, BAD driving. Not to suggest impaired isn't a problem, because it is. Its a real problem. But showing up at my house two hours after I'm home is a HUGE over reach. They would have to kick my door in, there is a ZERO percent chance I am going to open it and invite that nonsence into my home.

Sorry for the derail.

A friend of mine has a newly minted RCMP living next door, he said everyone he interacts with gets breathalized, even witnesses. That's a bit much

Phil McCracken 10-11-2022 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by does it ALL outdoors (Post 4566969)
From that link,

They stopped almost 12,000 vehicles and ended up with 23 DUI's and 2 drug impaired drivers, what is that, 2%? What a colossal waste of time.

How many bad drivers out there cause death? A LOT more than impaired drivers im sure, I would be tickled pink if they did their "Big Ticket Event" all year long instead of just the week or two a year they do it now. Unless someone has their phone in their hand chances of getting a ticket for what falls under bad driving are pretty slim, something about low hanging fruit.

I quit watching the "news" years ago, but they would always end their bad driving story with "alcohol and speed were not believed to be factors", but bad driving was the main factor, and just cause it doesn't fall under the speed or alcohol premise the bad drivers seem to get a pass. Where else can you run someone over and kill them with your car and get away with often a small traffic ticket, if anything at all? But if that person had one drop of booze in their system that changes everything, and they focus on the booze, not the bad driving. If you run someone over, especially in a crosswalk you should have your license revoked on the spot.

Time to focus on the REAL problem, BAD driving. Not to suggest impaired isn't a problem, because it is. Its a real problem. But showing up at my house two hours after I'm home is a HUGE over reach. They would have to kick my door in, there is a ZERO percent chance I am going to open it and invite that nonsence into my home.

Sorry for the derail.

A friend of mine has a newly minted RCMP living next door, he said everyone he interacts with gets breathalized, even witnesses. That's a bit much

Please give me an example or two when this actually happened?...Thanx...:)

elkhunter11 10-11-2022 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil McCracken (Post 4567039)

If they never planned to use it, why did they change the law? They don't just change a law, unless they plan on exploiting that change.

fishnguy 10-11-2022 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by does it ALL outdoors (Post 4566969)
From that link,

They stopped almost 12,000 vehicles and ended up with 23 DUI's and 2 drug impaired drivers, what is that, 2%?

That would be two tenth of a percent or 0.2%.

Talking moose 10-11-2022 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil McCracken (Post 4567039)

You go to a lounge to meet friends for wings and hockey.
You don’t drink anything.
Your vindictive ex drives by and sees your truck leaving.
She phoned cops annonomously saying your drunk and swerving all over.

Meanwhile your back at home drinking now for the last hour.

Some people would do such a thing.

Cageyc 10-11-2022 06:49 PM

The only thing they take up is time, I’m for it because we don’t need any impaired people on the road, I see so often a big puff of smoke and then the smell of pot. No hard evidence but most likely impaired and shouldn’t be driving. It’s not a big deal until it is.

RandyBoBandy 10-11-2022 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KGB (Post 4566942)
As a practicing religious Jew or Muslim, you can refuse to put this thing into your mouth if it is not certified kosher or halal… Sorry my dear Christian or catholic friends, you are SOL here, lol! :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Well, I guess you would be a candidate for a blood test then :sHa_sarcasticlol:

trapperdodge 10-11-2022 08:45 PM

Over reach by the cops. They should have to show reasonable and probable grounds to ask you to blow. Police state tactics.

marky_mark 10-11-2022 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trapperdodge (Post 4567121)
Over reach by the cops. They should have to show reasonable and probable grounds to ask you to blow. Police state tactics.

I don’t think it’s a directive that came from the police. More so the bureaucratics.
The ndp policy that you get your vehicle impounded without even breaking the law is another example

PH Trekker 10-11-2022 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishnguy (Post 4567041)
That would be two tenth of a percent or 0.2%.

It's actually 0.002 of 12,000 equals 24.

Albertacoyotecaller 10-11-2022 10:12 PM

It’s overreach and I am tired of it. Last summer I had to blow 4 times in two weekends.

KyleSS 10-11-2022 10:32 PM

Bigrib 10-11-2022 10:43 PM

does the breathalyzer check for marijuana intoxication or just alcohol ?

KGB 10-11-2022 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandyBoBandy (Post 4567100)
Well, I guess you would be a candidate for a blood test then :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Then I have to claim that I am a Jehova witness - I think it is them who deny any medical treatments for their bodies. But I could be wrong.:scared0018:

Scott N 10-12-2022 03:56 AM

No one on here condones impaired driving, but this does seem like overreach as others as stated. It's an example of "you're guilty until proven innocent", and seems like a misappropriate use of limited resources to me. Police should have a justifiable reason to demand a breath sample.

Rvsask 10-12-2022 05:59 AM

Next thing you know the damn fish cops will be wanting to look in my livewell. The horror.