Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Shed Hunting Thread (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=77457)

boonie 01-09-2011 12:27 AM

massive sheds!!!!!!!

OMG:scared0015:

Got out yesterday before the snow and picked up a couple more, nothing big. Looks like any sheds that were on the ground will have to wait til the snow melts now.

savage7mm 01-09-2011 01:11 PM

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s...6/IMG_0440.jpg
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s...6/IMG_0438.jpg

laker 01-09-2011 07:26 PM

ww, those are some wicked ass sheds!! If I recall, I saw a deer head at a taxidermists about 5 years ago that was a splittin image of that set of sheds.Was shot around Innisfree I believe. Any chance that set is from that neck of the woods?? Either way that set is the Holy Grail of deer sheds!!
Scooped another matched set yersterday.There was only 4" of antler sticking out of the snow,reached down to pick it up and heard it clank on the match that was buried beneath it. Deep snowz gonna make for tough finding.

ww2269 01-09-2011 08:13 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by laker (Post 793394)
ww, those are some wicked ass sheds!! If I recall, I saw a deer head at a taxidermists about 5 years ago that was a splittin image of that set of sheds.Was shot around Innisfree I believe. Any chance that set is from that neck of the woods?? Either way that set is the Holy Grail of deer sheds!!
Scooped another matched set yersterday.There was only 4" of antler sticking out of the snow,reached down to pick it up and heard it clank on the match that was buried beneath it. Deep snowz gonna make for tough finding.

NO, a ways from there. Here is another set that my cousin in Sask showed me when we went there this fall, this guy is a true hog as well, probably in the 220 range.

savage7mm 01-09-2011 08:33 PM

its a 7 inch spike in the pictures, and the box is a 50 pack of .22 shells,
thanks for posting it brownbear

laker 01-10-2011 07:35 AM

ww, I always wondered where the big bucks drop their headgear!! I'm going to start looking in TAVERNS from now on!

Crossfire 01-18-2011 04:43 AM

Snow

Is anybody trying to find sheds in this deep snow?

boonie 01-18-2011 07:34 AM

Snow

Snow is over knee deep here. Even using snowshoes is tough in this powder. Giong to have to fire up the sled and go out this weekend but I imagine most horns that have dropped are buried in snow.

Roughneck Country 01-18-2011 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ww2269 (Post 793486)
NO, a ways from there. Here is another set that my cousin in Sask showed me when we went there this fall, this guy is a true hog as well, probably in the 220 range.

Nice sheds!

whitetalehunter12 01-18-2011 01:04 PM

snow is over knee deep where i am to. went out on monday and it is was brutal. Snowshoes are of little help in snow like this.

Lone_Wolf 01-18-2011 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crossfire (Post 804188)
Is anybody trying to find sheds in this deep snow?

Not I. I'll be waiting till spring.

bearbuster 01-18-2011 01:56 PM

Just had the sled out yesterday to check my "antler trap" 2 Green field bales on the edge bush/ hay field. Found 5 antlers in total, 150" pair. This is the second year I have done this and it works great. So far this year 7 antlers, 2 pairs.
Snow is knee deep but about 10' around the pales is packed along with trails leading to and from

laker 01-19-2011 08:08 PM

Ya, the deep snow will make it tough to spot horns in the fields,but they will still stick out in other areas. Knowing where to look when the snowz too deep in the fields is the ticket to keep finding sheds when others are waiting for the snow to melt. Not me, i can't sit and wait that long. i will keep scooping,but in spots where the deer move once the snow gets too deep in the fields. I've run hidden antlers up into the skidoo tunnel when checking fields, so thats one way to find them,but a pain in the arse getting them unstuck. Up to 10 now,but the cold temps have kept me from getting out. This weekend should be good.
Will post pics of the first 170" set......stay tuned!
Good luck shedderz

yoteman 01-20-2011 03:54 PM

Heh Crossfire,

If you really want to know about shed hunting contact Bently Coben at (306) 656-4903 ( Bently Coben's Wildlife productions ) Bently is known world wide as one of the experts in shed hunting, he has Americans come up yr.after yr. to hunt for sheds. I know that he finds tons of sheds at the Harris game preserve about 15 miles from his home in Tessier Sask. Gary Donald ( Big Buck) magazine also does lots of filming at Harris. I gave Bently my lab Gypsy back in the 80's ( lost 2 labs through divorces ) don't know who I miss more my ex's or my labs ( labs of course. ) Bently taught Gypsy how to hunt sheds, she was one of the best dogs I've ever had. I haven't talked to Bently in yrs. but he has a pretty lucrative business going on. The last time I saw Bent he had a garage full of sheds.... I beleive he was offered about $ 200 thousand for his collection but he said no ... I'm sure Bent would answer all of your questions, I beleive It would be worth the nickel. Just make sure to say from Brian In P.A. the goose hunter.... Islander that's the way to train them, nice video, I trained my last lab to hunt golf balls like that.

whitetalehunter12 01-20-2011 05:13 PM

went out today for less than a hour. by the time i got back to the road i was bushed. im waitin till spring. this snow is to much. didnt find anything

steve 01-20-2011 10:31 PM

Found a little four point yesterday. Got lucky and stepped on it.

boonedocks 01-23-2011 08:46 PM

sheds

I found a small 4 point wt shed yesterday Jan 22,I also got trailcam photos of him this morning still sporting the other side.Most deer in my area are still carrying their horns.

boonie 01-23-2011 11:38 PM

Still holding

2 Attachment(s)
Most are still hanging on around here also but a few have shed. Thought I would post pics of the 2 better bucks feeding at my place. Hopefully they drop them in the yard.

bowzonebucks 01-23-2011 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boonie (Post 811328)
Most are still hanging on around here also but a few have shed. Thought I would post pics of the 2 better bucks feeding at my place. Hopefully they drop them in the yard.

where ya from boonie?

steve 01-23-2011 11:48 PM

My buddy found this today, we were standing on top of it a few days ago.

70"

http://i647.photobucket.com/albums/u...s/2e72778b.jpg

steve 01-23-2011 11:52 PM

Quote:

Two great looking bucks.

BrownBear416 01-24-2011 11:19 AM

Great bucks Boonie and love the Cuddebacks :)

Great Shed Cat Wrestler :)

boonie 01-24-2011 08:00 PM

Where from?

I'm from the Westlock area.

The Bit Runner. 01-24-2011 09:20 PM

Quote:

Those are two nice bucks, Boy is that second one a beauty, Thanks very much for sharing!!

Springer 01-25-2011 12:28 PM

Another advantage with the trail Cam hey . When they show up and their missing the Bone you should be able to get out ASAP and pick those beauty Sheds up !
Great Post and very good quality photo's.

jace 01-25-2011 10:35 PM

Shed hunt

Last years first day shed hunting with my pup Tucker and a couple buddies in early March. Hiked for about 5 hours, & God knows how many miles, but found some decent sheds and a couple skulls, mostly Mule, but any shed is a good find. Cant wait till the snow melts and get back out this year.

boonie 01-25-2011 11:39 PM

Got Lucky

Well the droptine buck dropped his antlers Sunday night. Got lucky and the left side was laying in the yard. Scores right around 80 inches. I have a pic of him with both on at 12:20am and at 12:40am he had dropped his left one. My next pic of him at 5:30am shows him without the right side. Going to go for a walk tomorrow and look for it. Pics to come.

whitetalehunter12 01-27-2011 01:18 PM

I mentioned earlier that I would be waiting till spring to shed hunt but with todays warm weather and melting snow i decided to go have a look for some sheds. Well I didnt find anything and now i know why im not finding anything.:sign0176: I talked with a land owner who has a chunk of land by the ministik lake sanctuary which is where i usually go most of the time to shed hunt. I asked for permission to shed hunt on his land. He said yes. I thought great. then i asked if he had seen any good bucks or any sheds. He said he he hasnt seen a good buck for 10 years and he hunts the area. He went on to say the buck to doe ratio is way out of wack and there are way more does than bucks. He says he expects a 70% kill off this year. All the deer that come on his farm are all does and yearlings. Time to find a new place to shed hunt:confused:

hunter10 01-27-2011 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boonie (Post 813649)
Well the droptine buck dropped his antlers Sunday night. Got lucky and the left side was laying in the yard. Scores right around 80 inches. I have a pic of him with both on at 12:20am and at 12:40am he had dropped his left one. My next pic of him at 5:30am shows him without the right side. Going to go for a walk tomorrow and look for it. Pics to come.

Awesome! Those are great bucks, cant wait to see the pictures!

hayseed 01-27-2011 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hunter10 (Post 815254)
Awesome! Those are great bucks, cant wait to see the pictures!

x 2 on that, great lookin deer.. hope ya find all the bone...