Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Cold Lake 2022/23 Hard Water Season. (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=417180)

58thecat 12-21-2022 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bridger2010 (Post 4592237)
I saw a dude fishing straight north of the marina late last week. He was about 200 yards out.

You sure that wasn’t a Raven…. [emoji13]
They get big around here and puff up twice the size I’m the cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bridger2010 12-21-2022 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 58thecat (Post 4592307)
You sure that wasn’t a Raven…. [emoji13]
They get big around here and puff up twice the size I’m the cold.

Lol do they sit in ice fishing huts?

There are some big birds in town, no doubt.

AlbertanGP 12-21-2022 07:45 PM

It was a sad hour at the south side Timmies by WalMart this morning when I passed through but couldn't fish. :(

On the bright side, I've been looking for some quality moderate to slow action ice rods for quite some time and Ryan hooked me up with some sweet Haat rods. Guess I'll have to come back and try the MH casting rod out. :)

58thecat 12-22-2022 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlbertanGP (Post 4592486)
It was a sad hour at the south side Timmies by WalMart this morning when I passed through but couldn't fish. :(

On the bright side, I've been looking for some quality moderate to slow action ice rods for quite some time and Ryan hooked me up with some sweet Haat rods. Guess I'll have to come back and try the MH casting rod out. :)

The temps are making good ice now, get your butt back here in the new year.
Looks like you had a great trip too.:sHa_shakeshout:

Egymcara 12-22-2022 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlbertanGP (Post 4592486)

It was nice meeting you Dean, really enjoyed your company! I'll keep you updated the best I can, without rubbing it in of course :]

Deebs 12-23-2022 11:40 AM

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...589116caf.jpeg

Some brave souls taking on the weather. Sent to me from a friend

58thecat 12-23-2022 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deebs (Post 4593102)

Good on them!
Hope the lakers are biting which they probably are being early season.
I don t mind the cold but the gear breaks on me and usually not just one item.
After Xmas the forecast looks good temp wise just hope the dam wind isn’t acting up.

Egymcara 12-23-2022 03:00 PM

Just scouted around the lake and conditions are pretty horrible considering how much cold weather we just had. French bay has flood water all over, holes I drilled were 7" to 9" which is basically the same ice from 8 days ago. 1 Person was out fishing near the beach. Drove by the marina and seen 1 person walked out into laker territory. West end is awful, water everywhere and ice is maybe 4 inches thick. Looking like another terrible year for lake travel and more snow in the forecast.

AlbertanGP 12-23-2022 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Egymcara (Post 4592751)
It was nice meeting you Dean, really enjoyed your company! I'll keep you updated the best I can, without rubbing it in of course :]

Always nice to put a face to a name. I might have to book a week off. I have some new friends and old to fish with over there. Still trying to get out with Mat as well. :happy0180:

58thecat 12-24-2022 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Egymcara (Post 4593174)
Just scouted around the lake and conditions are pretty horrible considering how much cold weather we just had. French bay has flood water all over, holes I drilled were 7" to 9" which is basically the same ice from 8 days ago. 1 Person was out fishing near the beach. Drove by the marina and seen 1 person walked out into laker territory. West end is awful, water everywhere and ice is maybe 4 inches thick. Looking like another terrible year for lake travel and more snow in the forecast.

Dam....glad I got the skandic for lake travel going forward...hope she freezes up a bit more though....if not I will play around on other lakes waiting impatiently for safe ice on cold lake.

Please all be safe out there.

Weavster 12-24-2022 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Egymcara (Post 4593174)

That’s the way it goes the last few seasons it seems with the flood water. Hopefully everyone stays safe that ice will be shifting like crazy now.

-JR- 12-24-2022 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deebs (Post 4593102)

Which motel is this ?

Is it Dock side Inn !

58thecat 12-24-2022 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -JR- (Post 4593333)
Which motel is this ?

Is it Dock side Inn !

Looks like it.

Deebs 12-24-2022 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 58thecat (Post 4593339)
Looks like it.

Yes it is

Chewie66 12-24-2022 02:33 PM

Looks like there's a truck out there today a few hundred yards out from the beach. A little early for this guy.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

Frank_NK28 12-24-2022 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chewie66 (Post 4593441)
Looks like there's a truck out there today a few hundred yards out from the beach. A little early for this guy.

Some just have to be first to go through.

Egymcara 12-24-2022 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chewie66 (Post 4593441)

I don't mind being the first guy to drive out but this year is just too risky for me. I took my FJ maybe 200m out on FB yesterday and turned around because ice is just too thin and water everywhere. 10 CM of snow coming tonight will make it even worse

Egymcara 12-25-2022 10:41 AM

Just got back from French Bay, we got about 4 more inches of snow last night. Took my sled out to a 90' hole I usually try, fishing was slow and the ice is pretty thin = 7". No water where I was at but drove over a fair amount getting there. Snow depth was probably about 12" total but I wouldn't take anything other then a machine out there.

Cheers - Merry Xmas

Jawjacker 12-25-2022 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Egymcara (Post 4593585)
Just got back from French Bay, we got about 4 more inches of snow last night. Took my sled out to a 90' hole I usually try, fishing was slow and the ice is pretty thin = 7". No water where I was at but drove over a fair amount getting there. Snow depth was probably about 12" total but I wouldn't take anything other then a machine out there.

Cheers - Merry Xmas

We are heading out there Tuesday. Do you think we will be okay walking on at French Bay. Egymcara thank you or all the updates.

Egymcara 12-25-2022 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jawjacker (Post 4593590)
We are heading out there Tuesday. Do you think we will be okay walking on at French Bay. Egymcara thank you or all the updates.

Definitely safe for walking, just the headache of lugging all your gear out by foot :]

Wapiti340 12-25-2022 05:16 PM

Any suggestions for walking on tomorrow regarding flood water and ice travel. French bay, marina, or provincial park?
Thanks

Egymcara 12-25-2022 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wapiti340 (Post 4593680)
Any suggestions for walking on tomorrow regarding flood water and ice travel. French bay, marina, or provincial park?
Thanks

French bay and Marina are fine, haven't been to PP but I hear guys are getting out to the hump area. If you are walking on, anywhere should basically be safe from what I've seen.

Wapiti340 12-25-2022 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Egymcara (Post 4593695)
French bay and Marina are fine, haven't been to PP but I hear guys are getting out to the hump area. If you are walking on, anywhere should basically be safe from what I've seen.

Appreciate the info! Your guys help goes a long way for us out of town folks
Cheers

58thecat 12-26-2022 07:18 AM

Chomping at the bit to get back home now……it’s officially laker time!

Egymcara 12-26-2022 01:53 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Made it out to the Marina today with a few buddies, took the sleds. Fished one of our 80' holes for the morning. Action was so/so, got a few decent looking fish and lost a bunch. Ice was 7" at my hole, snow cover wasn't bad at all but deeper in other areas. Seen a few other people venturing out on foot as the morning progressed. The main marina launch was pretty rough and we hit water in a few spots.

2" Glow Buzz Bomber was the lure catching all the fish :]

Cheers!

58thecat 12-28-2022 06:36 AM

Ahhhhh got stuck down south in freezing rain etc so sat another day.
The lakers are laughing at me and I developed a hook setting twitch!

[emoji38]

YouTube vids are not the same as actually being out there.

Wapiti340 12-28-2022 07:44 AM

I was gonna post a couple pics but, until Cat is back in town I’ll hold off…. Caught my first “keeper” finally. Beautiful strong fish that is back in the water to be caught another day :). Bait fish were in and out of the flasher most of the day and so were the cruising lakers. We only landed 5 on the ice but all were good fish and lost a bunch more. 66’ of water just over 6” of ice where we were.
Cheers

mlements 12-28-2022 11:27 AM

Looking to drive up from Edmonton tomorrow

Does anyone have any idea if walking access is better on French bay or from Marina? Thanks in advance!

TroutingOuting 12-28-2022 12:01 PM

main lake?

Does anyone have any updates on conditions of the main lake/English Bay? Walk on vs quad possibilities.

While I'm at it, any willing to share Marie Lake access and conditions - would be appreciated. Coming from west of Edmonton tomorrow. Just trying to decide if I should leave the quad at home or not.

Thanks in advance!

Egymcara 12-28-2022 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlements (Post 4594382)
Does anyone have any idea if walking access is better on French bay or from Marina? Thanks in advance!

Both are fine, more snow in French Bay if that changes your mind at all.