Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Guns & Ammo Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   picked up my stuff from the gunsmith.. (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=240799)

Dean2 12-31-2014 01:28 PM

Sounds like you have made good progress with your smith but it also sounds like he is making excuses still. HS stocks are brittle but they can and often are inlet, trimmed and have new bottom metal fitted to them without making this kind of a mess.

If you know what you are doing you can turn out better work with hand tools than 99.8% of people can with milling machines and the like. It is all in knowing which tool to use and how to use it properly. I don't work on guns for a living but would be HUGELY disappointed in myself if I turned out this kind of work.

While the fit and finish is pretty poor at least with fiberglass it can be fixed by someone who knows what they are doing. Once fixed you will never be able to tell it was messed up in the first place. If your current smith can't fix it to that level of quality, go to someone like Leeper, Bob Galoway or Dave Bently that can.

Just my 2 cents. Hopefully your existing smith can fix it back to perfect or nearly so.

Pathfinder76 12-31-2014 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marxman (Post 2679066)
looks like you will be stuck with it i cant see fixing something like that it cant be unmangled or built up and redone. i would have known before attacking a job like that i couldnt do it properly without tool guidance of some kind

Oh, it's repairable. But it will require paint.

Pathfinder76 12-31-2014 01:31 PM

Mitch Kendall would be a good guy to fix it as he also does paint.

fish_e_o 12-31-2014 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean2 (Post 2679088)
It is all in knowing which tool to use and how to use it properly.

there are special end mills for laminated materials such as fiberglass they prevent chipping and de-laminating

twofifty 12-31-2014 01:38 PM

Kinda what I was thinking: wrong cutting edge bevel, dull edge, improper feed rate.

Dean2 12-31-2014 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fish_e_o (Post 2679096)
there are special end mills for laminated materials such as fiberglass they prevent chipping and de-laminating

Absolutely true and work great IF you have one and really know how to set it up and use it for very fine work. By the same token a good set of real sharp needle files, some inletting black and proper technique will accomplish the same thing.

Pathfinder76 12-31-2014 02:07 PM

Exactly, the best stock makers in the world don't do finish work on their mills.

sdeviation 12-31-2014 03:04 PM

HS stocks are a slurry of material put into a mold and cooked hard
the have alot of air voids and micro cracks in there finish from this process
u can be a superstar and do much worst than what is in them pics...
Gravel has a truck load of rem warrantied stocks ...0.02

Pathfinder76 12-31-2014 03:29 PM

I've worked on HS stocks. I know better than that.

stvnbrg 01-01-2015 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuck (Post 2679093)
Mitch Kendall would be a good guy to fix it as he also does paint.

I have a kimber Montana that has been skeletonized, accurized and painted by Mitch Kendall. Amazing !

gtr 01-01-2015 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AMisler (Post 2677510)
So I had some work done on some rifles recently at a well known gunsmith, who will remain nameless, and im somewhat displeased in the workmanship. I had some stock inletting and action machining done from the smith and it doesnt seem quite up to par with my standards of what a professional well known gunsmith should produce.

In my eyes when you have a stock inletted professionally, there shouldn't be chips or chunks out of the stock and straight lines should be straight not crooked in efforts to follow a straight line.

Also in my eyes, when there is machine work done on an action, you'd think they would clean out the fillings and shavings from the action to ensure nothing ends up where it shouldn't be or something getting damaged.

Now I'm not trying to raise a huge stink, but I'm thoroughly disappointed. The damage is already done on the stocks, and yes the actions could be cleaned (so long as there is no damage) but what are my options at this point? What would you do as a customer?

I did not have the time to inspect the work before taking it home, so I have yet to discuss this with the smith. I have been completely satisfied as a customer with them up until this point, and I would like to continue as their customer.

Thanks guys

Surprised it took as many posts as it did,for you to be blamed,and shamed,as if its your fault.These fellows make their mother's proud I'am sure...I hope you get some satisfaction.