Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   FLAMES 2021-22. Our time has not come (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=404038)

RandyBoBandy 10-23-2021 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck (Post 4429615)
Lindholm with the Hattie, for the W. Fun game to watch. Not that fun to listen to. Ugh.

Maybe it's time to turn off the TV sound and fire up the radio broadcast :)

Twisted Canuck 10-26-2021 07:18 AM

What, nobody posted about the Flames/Rangers game last night?

Well, 3rd road trip win in a row! Mangiappane is a honey badger, beautiful steal and goal, and then a second goal later cleaning up the garbage in the blue ice. Johnny set up Tanev for a beauty as well. Anyway, 5-1 final.

The most important observation was seeing a full 60 minute game from everyone. Looks like the whole team has bought in to the Sutter work ethic. Good hustle every shift, no slack back checking, and they forced a ton of turnovers (20 - 6 turnover ratio), as well as handily out shooting the Rangers. So 3-1-1 doesn't look too bad suddenly.

I have to say, I am guilty of writing the team off before the season started. Maybe I need to re-evaluate that. Hopefully they can have a decent competitive season. So far, they have been looking good.

https://www.nhl.com/news/calgary-fla...ap/c-326996994

Roderek 10-26-2021 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck (Post 4430775)
The most important observation was seeing a full 60 minute game from everyone. Looks like the whole team has bought in to the Sutter work ethic. Good hustle every shift, no slack back checking, and they forced a ton of turnovers (20 - 6 turnover ratio), as well as handily out shooting the Rangers. So 3-1-1 doesn't look too bad suddenly.

I have to say, I am guilty of writing the team off before the season started. Maybe I need to re-evaluate that. Hopefully they can have a decent competitive season. So far, they have been looking good.

https://www.nhl.com/news/calgary-fla...ap/c-326996994

They played well last night, and have played well so far through 5 games, even though they lost to the oilers they controlled 5 on 5 play. If you look back to past years the Flames are notorious for not playing well after a long break. Which I realize the season hadn't started yet, but they still had a week off between preseason and first regular game. I think everyone is giving them more time to show us they are in it this year. Last few years they have just been so inconsistent. The team has barely changed, so they have to earn the belief this year.

That said so far so good. Games have been entertaining, and they are working hard. I definitely notice a difference in the physical play with the bigger bodies they brought in this year. They don't have to win the division they just need to get in.

The team is looking like it is more built for the playoffs with the size that was added. Man do I wish Johnny had the tenacity of number 88....

Roderek 10-26-2021 07:01 PM

Another good start, which is nice to see especially in a back to back scenario.

Sundancefisher 10-26-2021 07:40 PM

I’m confused.

Flames are playing really good hockey.

Where are the haters?

Mangiapane and Lindholm… kicking it.

Can’t quite say Gaudreau who? He is not getting physical but he’s making passes.

Monahan is invisible so far. Not mixing it up hard in front of the net? Lost his edge? Injured still?

Rest of the team… getting more disciplined every day.

huntwat 10-26-2021 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundancefisher (Post 4431190)
Flames are playing really good hockey.

Where are the haters?

Mangiapane and Lindholm… kicking it.

It’s early, give them time. I don’t see why you flamers are surprised with mange. As I said earlier, he is your best player.

Twisted Canuck 10-26-2021 08:12 PM

They have completely taken me by surprise. Was not expecting the type of team I'm seeing. I guess Sutter still has it, getting the most out of his roster. Everybody is working hard. Good to see Tkachuk get on the board tonight. As for Monahan, I dunno what to think. He has the odd shift where he does something, but overall pretty invisible.

Mangiappane and Lindholm are both lights out, again. And the Flames D had a good game overall, though towards the end there were some breakdowns.

Looch opens scoring, got to love that. And Vladar had a good game I thought, that young man has a lot of upside ahead I think.

So, second in the Pacific, and Vegas in last place. I did not see that coming.

I can't remember the last time Flames had four straight road wins.

Sundancefisher 10-26-2021 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huntwat (Post 4431201)
It’s early, give them time. I don’t see why you flamers are surprised with mange. As I said earlier, he is your best player.

He plays with hear and energy.

Loved watching him help win Canada gold.

Sundancefisher 10-26-2021 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck (Post 4431220)
They have completely taken me by surprise. Was not expecting the type of team I'm seeing. I guess Sutter still has it, getting the most out of his roster. Everybody is working hard. Good to see Tkachuk get on the board tonight. As for Monahan, I dunno what to think. He has the odd shift where he does something, but overall pretty invisible.

Mangiappane and Lindholm are both lights out, again. And the Flames D had a good game overall, though towards the end there were some breakdowns.

Looch opens scoring, got to love that. And Vladar had a good game I thought, that young man has a lot of upside ahead I think.

So, second in the Pacific, and Vegas in last place. I did not see that coming.

I can't remember the last time Flames had four straight road wins.

Agree with Vladar also. Good movements and positioning. Reflexes look competitive.

sns2 10-27-2021 07:04 AM

As an Oilers fan, I could not be happier with the Flames success. As TC has stated, they seem to really be buying into Sutter’s plan to maximize the talents they have as a team. I appreciate the hard nosed hockey, and work ethic I am seeing, and I am watching each game, as they are darn entertaining. Fellas, hockey has never been better than when the BOA means something. As it stands right now, it hasn’t meant something like this for a loooong time. Go Oil. Go Flames.

58thecat 10-27-2021 07:06 AM

Let’s see how they pan out once they are up against injuries....see the real depth of this organization....all good when ya can role the lines....long season.

Sundancefisher 10-27-2021 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sns2 (Post 4431334)
As an Oilers fan, I could not be happier with the Flames success. As TC has stated, they seem to really be buying into Sutter’s plan to maximize the talents they have as a team. I appreciate the hard nosed hockey, and work ethic I am seeing, and I am watching each game, as they are darn entertaining. Fellas, hockey has never been better than when the BOA means something. As it stands right now, it hasn’t meant something like this for a loooong time. Go Oil. Go Flames.

It would be amazing to have two strong teams in Alberta go as far as possible with one claiming the cup.

Alberta domination!

:sHa_shakeshout:

Sundancefisher 10-27-2021 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 58thecat (Post 4431335)
Let’s see how they pan out once they are up against injuries....see the real depth of this organization....all good when ya can role the lines....long season.

Fingers crossed.

Roderek 10-27-2021 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundancefisher (Post 4431357)
It would be amazing to have two strong teams in Alberta go as far as possible with the Flames claiming the cup.

Alberta domination!

:sHa_shakeshout:

Fixed it for ya! :)

Reddin 10-27-2021 10:24 AM

0-1-1 "This team sucks, weak everything: coaching, goaltending, defense. Boring. Sigh."

4-1-1 "I've always been a super fan."

Twisted Canuck 10-27-2021 10:28 AM

Man, I sure have come to love the Ignore feature, it makes the forum so much more pleasant. :)

sns2 10-27-2021 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reddin (Post 4431411)
0-1-1 "This team sucks, weak everything: coaching, goaltending, defense. Boring. Sigh."

Your calling in life was likely to work with kids showing them a good time. What a downer.

Reddin 10-27-2021 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sns2 (Post 4431426)
Your calling in life was likely to work with kids showing them a good time. What a downer.

Check out the first page.

Talking moose 10-27-2021 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reddin (Post 4431411)

Hahaha no doubt.
But that’s not exclusive to the flames. All clubs have those fans.

Roderek 10-27-2021 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reddin (Post 4431429)
Check out the first page.

Just because we weren't optimistic before the season started, doesn't mean we weren't fans. We were just being hesitant due to last years performance and the changes made in the off season. There was no major moves to change the core of the last 2 years after underperforming seasons. So the expectations were low. That said 6 games in they appear to be playing the way we all expected for the last few years. The inconsistency in play, not starting the games on time, playing 60 minutes all seem to have been addressed.

Only 6 games in it is still too early to tell if this is going to be long term results but so far it definitely gives reason for optimism. The off season signings appear to be working out. This is an area Treliving has not been great at. Grudbranson looks good, Vladar looks good(2/2 for a back up) Colemen looks good, Pitlick looks ok even with the injury, Lewis looks ok. The only one that does not look good is Zadorov and Sutter has done the right thing and scratched him.
Monahan doesn't look great and Sutter has rightfully moved him to the 4th line.

It really appears the Flames have bought into the system and if they can keep it up, there is no reason to think they won't make the playoffs, and you only need to get in. The size added to this team has made a significant difference IMO and that is only going to help when they get to the playoffs.

The game against the Oilers, they controlled the play 5 on 5, gave to many power plays, but they had a week off from preseason and that game, which should not be a big deal, however, this team has never played well after a week off. They always seem to go into their breaks on a win streak and come back and lose 3-4 in a row.

Rig-Rat 10-27-2021 09:28 PM

Still early but I am liking what I am seeing. Team looks to be bought into the system, and showing up on time and hitting the game hard right away. Full 60 min, although I do think they sat on that lead yesterday in NJ.
Even in the first game against the Oil I thought we were the better 5 on 5 team, just typical 1st game and getting the legs going.
Hope this early road trip get them bonded as a team, and they keep it rolling and stay up in the standings all season. Nice change LOL
Coleman is a nice fit.
Mang and Lindy WOW knew would have decent season, but not this fast, keep it up. Johnny playing well and the goals will come. Tkachuck I would like to see in front of the net more, but doing good. Monny I thought was ok last game, he was getting passes out there. Needs to pick his shots, not right in the pads, or chest of the goalie.

kevinhits 10-28-2021 05:31 PM

Well, I am shocked so far. I haven't been this pleased in many years of faithfully watching the Flames, but, DAMN, I am impressed how this group has jelled so far. I feel Markstrom and Vlader are going to be great for us.:sHa_shakeshout:

spoiledsaskhunter 10-28-2021 06:54 PM

........they'd be in deep if it wasn't for marky tonight. giver in the third boys!

Twisted Canuck 10-28-2021 07:52 PM

Markstrom was first, second, and third star tonight. He was lights out, stopped a lot of really good shots from Pens, quite apart from the volume of shots. Some high percentage opportunities and he shut the door.

Another 60 minute effort, with all the lines contributing. Looch has more goals then Monahan?? :lol:

Yep, I'm happily surprised with them. And, first in the Pacific, at least till tomorrow.

waldedw 10-29-2021 05:06 AM

They are defiantly on a good roll right now, the boy's up front are scoring and Markstrom has the door shut in net, it's coming together for them, now let's see if Sutter and the boy's can keep it together.

Howard Hutchinson 10-29-2021 09:34 AM

Keep it up down there fellas, Be nice for for the all other teams to not look forward to playing in the Republic of Alberta:sHa_shakeshout::sHa_shakeshout:

Twisted Canuck 10-30-2021 10:50 PM

Six straight wins, and a 4-0 shutout to boot at home. Got to like that. Monahan finally gets on the board too. Backlund gets empty net, then Johnny scores a late one because they were playing to the buzzer.

My favorite play was Coleman blocking a shot in the last minute in a game that is virtually won. Still sacrificing for the team and his goalie. That's heart.

So Flames are having a bit of a roll. Sweet.

Howard Hutchinson 10-30-2021 11:07 PM

Too bad we won't have a BOA till Dec 27th. It's gonna be a doozy

pikergolf 10-31-2021 06:08 AM

Wow, just took notice that the Flames have quietly had a great start as well as the Oilers. Great time to be an Alberta hockey fan, maybe we will have a battle of Alberta this year.

Sundancefisher 10-31-2021 09:11 AM

Flames have the better goals for and against stats compare to the Oilers but both teams are doing great.

Flames offence has taken off while their D is great and seems to be improving.

Oilers offence is dangerous while their D is lacking credibility still… only minor improvements so far.