Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   $$$ whitetail allocations $$$ (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=316543)

walking buffalo 03-06-2017 08:40 AM

This thread is giving me a headache.

It is full of incorrect information in just about every post.

This reveals an alarming truth, outfitters, guides and resident hunters generally have no clue about the Outfitter Allocation and Policy.

This is a great fault that lies on the shoulders of the Gov, APOS and the resident stakeholder groups.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurt505 (Post 3487033)
Blaming outfitters for non-resident hunting is like blaming natives for year round hunting, it's not their fault, it's the governments.

No Kurt, Outfitters are fully to blame (but not alone in responsibility) for the current situation.
They are the ones lobbying and threatening to sue for what they want.
They are the ones resisting change to the system.

"Super secret" level meeting are being held to review and update the Outfitter Policy and Allocation agreement. Actually, these have been going on for the last several years.... with absolutely NO progress, just stonewalling and suppression of the Public consultation process.

Oh, and a hostile takeover of the APOS head office. Lol.... nice job. ;)

Deer Hunter had it right.

A Deer Allocation is worth $130.

Go ahead and pay 4-20K, but that doesn't mean you will ever recoup the balance when the gov orders an return of these privileges.

Buy your bridges. :)

walking buffalo 03-06-2017 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hiway mike (Post 3487257)
Around 390 allocations currently for sale or lease in alberta.

And I hear that Walmart is interested in buying them all. :)

Kurt505 03-06-2017 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by walking buffalo (Post 3487265)
This thread is giving me a headache.

It is full of incorrect information in just about every post.

This reveals an alarming truth, outfitters, guides and resident hunters generally have no clue about the Outfitter Allocation and Policy.

This is a great fault that lies on the shoulders of the Gov, APOS and the resident stakeholder groups.

No Kurt, Outfitters are fully to blame (but not alone in responsibility) for the current situation.
They are the ones lobbying and threatening to sue for what they want.
They are the ones resisting change to the system.

"Super secret" level meeting are being held to review and update the Outfitter Policy and Allocation agreement. Actually, these have been going on for the last several years.... with absolutely NO progress, just stonewalling and suppression of the Public consultation process.

Oh, and a hostile takeover of the APOS head office. Lol.... nice job. ;)

Go ahead and pay 4-20K, but that doesn't mean you will ever recoup the balance when the gov orders an return of these privileges.

Well it's good to know the outfitters are in charge of our fish and wildlife, maybe we can talk to them about sustinence hunting too.... :sHa_sarcasticlol:

walking buffalo 03-06-2017 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurt505 (Post 3487269)
Well it's good to know the outfitters are in charge of our fish and wildlife, maybe we can talk to them about sustinence hunting too.... :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Start with that Sask kid and his Outfitted Subsistence Bighorn hunts. :)

Torkdiesel 03-06-2017 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by walking buffalo (Post 3487272)

What ???

Kurt505 03-06-2017 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by walking buffalo (Post 3487272)

I have absolutely no doubt the outfitters are lobbying to keep their allocations, it's their source of income. When the borders were shut down because of bse it was the farmers who lobbied... go figure. In both cases they are not the ones who make the decisions though. You can't fault them for wanting to protect their income.

Torkdiesel 03-06-2017 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by walking buffalo (Post 3487265)

The industry is not going anywhere. People have been crying and whining about Outfitters for the last 50 years, and yet, here we are.

The industry brings in foreign money to our economy, an economy that isn't doing the best right now I might add. Like I said earlier, just because you don't make a living off it doesn't mean others that do aren't just as important. I'm sure I can find somebody that would like to eliminate every one of the industries you guys work in, but it doesn't make it right.

walking buffalo 03-06-2017 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurt505 (Post 3487285)
I have absolutely no doubt the outfitters are lobbying to keep their allocations, it's their source of income. When the borders were shut down because of bse it was the farmers who lobbied... go figure. In both cases they are not the ones who make the decisions though. You can't fault them for wanting to protect their income.

Sure, I don't fault those who fight for what they want, but that doesn't grant them immunity from being responsible for the outcome.

walking buffalo 03-06-2017 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torkdiesel (Post 3487288)
The industry is not going anywhere. People have been crying and whining about Outfitters for the last 50 years, and yet, here we are.

The industry brings in foreign money to our economy, an economy that isn't doing the best right now I might add. Like I said earlier, just because you don't make a living off it doesn't mean others that do aren't just as important. I'm sure I can find somebody that would like to eliminate every one of the industries you guys work in, but it doesn't make it right.

There you go off the deep end again, cry wolf. :rolleye2:

I never stated any desire to end Outfitting or guiding, for residents or non-residents. So it is clear, I am in favour of both. There is room for Outfitters/guides and I am a Proponent of maintaining non-resident access to hunting big game, even when and where the species is on a draw for residents.

My comments were in relation to Outfitter Allocations, Big Game allocations to be specific. The Outfitting industry could carry on just fine, even grow, without having a licence specific allocation.

Torkdiesel 03-06-2017 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by walking buffalo (Post 3487295)

My comments were in relation to Outfitter Allocations, Big Game allocations to be specific. The Outfitting industry could carry on just fine, even grow, without having a licence specific allocation.

Oh ya. And how would that work ?

walking buffalo 03-06-2017 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torkdiesel (Post 3487299)
Oh ya. And how would that work ?

If only there was an example of a jurisdiction that works this way....
:lol:

Torkdiesel 03-06-2017 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by walking buffalo (Post 3487308)
If only there was an example of a jurisdiction that works this way....
:lol:

Go ahead ! Show me where this works ?

And don't use the states that have land owner tags and Indian reservations to make up the bulk of their business, because we have neither here.

NCC 03-06-2017 03:37 PM

The only guy I personally know who has bought allocations paid about $5000 for his WT and MD tags in the Rocky Mountain House Area. I don't think he has sold a hunt in the last two years. It ain't what it used to be.

My friend from Texas that used to come to Alberta every year for white tails now goes to the Yukon every third year and gets to pull the trigger more often for the same amount of dollars and a much higher quality hunt (costs and trigger pulls averaged over a 9 year period).

I am 100% in favour of non-resident hunting but not as it currently exists. Put all of the non-resident tags on draw. Once you draw a tag you find an outfitter. That way the bios can adjust the tag numbers as needed without feeling as though they need to compensate the outfitters. It will also allow the outfitters that offer a good hunt to rise to the top.

Torkdiesel 03-06-2017 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCC (Post 3487555)

I am 100% in favour of non-resident hunting but not as it currently exists. Put all of the non-resident tags on draw. Once you draw a tag you find an outfitter. That way the bios can adjust the tag numbers as needed without feeling as though they need to compensate the outfitters. It will also allow the outfitters that offer a good hunt to rise to the top.

So would like the non residents to go in the regular draw or would you still like the non residents to be separate ?

I'm guessing you realize whether an outfitter sells four mule deer hunts through our allocation process or the non residents draw 4 mule deee tags then book, there's still 4 non residents hunting right ?

silver lab 03-06-2017 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCC (Post 3487555)
The only guy I personally know who has bought allocations paid about $5000 for his WT and MD tags in the Rocky Mountain House Area. I don't think he has sold a hunt in the last two years. It ain't what it used to be.

My friend from Texas that used to come to Alberta every year for white tails now goes to the Yukon every third year and gets to pull the trigger more often for the same amount of dollars and a much higher quality hunt (costs and trigger pulls averaged over a 9 year period).

Amen!!

nube 03-06-2017 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torkdiesel (Post 3487579)
So would like the non residents to go in the regular draw or would you still like the non residents to be separate ?

I'm guessing you realize whether an outfitter sells four mule deer hunts through our allocation process or the non residents draw 4 mule deee tags then book, there's still 4 non residents hunting right ?

Ya i am not sure why he is wanting it this way. It does not change the fact the same number of deer will be shot. it will not change the number of years it takes him to get a draw and people will still continue to have an issue....

Torkdiesel 03-06-2017 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nube (Post 3487624)
Ya i am not sure why he is wanting it this way. It does not change the fact the same number of deer will be shot. it will not change the number of years it takes him to get a draw and people will still continue to have an issue....

Bingo !!!

silver lab 03-06-2017 05:34 PM

Let me help you guys.
Instead of getting 90% of the deer tags in a zone, you would only get 10% of the tags.... Alot less deer would be shot by outfitters.

Torkdiesel 03-06-2017 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silver lab (Post 3487632)
Let me help you guys.
Residents get 90% of the deer tags in a zone, you would only get 10% of the tags.... Alot less deer are shot by outfitters.

There, I fixed it for you !!!

silver lab 03-06-2017 05:40 PM

Dream on.

Lol! Thanks.

Deer Hunter 03-06-2017 05:41 PM

10% is excessive. Maybe 5% based on increasing resident demand. Maybe none.

sns2 03-06-2017 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torkdiesel (Post 3487579)

Priority The Way It Should Be

1 - RESIDENTS (we own the dang animals)
2 - Non-Resident Canadians (neighbours deserve second shot)
3 - Non-Resident Aliens (bottom of barrel / never get a tag until Albertans are looked after)

elkhunter11 03-06-2017 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deer Hunter (Post 3487637)
10% is excessive. Maybe 5% based on increasing resident demand. Maybe none.

It was only around five or six years ago that outfitters allocations made up 40% of all pronghorn tags issued for the entire province.

sns2 03-06-2017 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elkhunter11 (Post 3487642)
It was only around five or six years ago that outfitters allocations made up 40% of all pronghorn tags issued for the entire province.

Exactly.

elkhunter11 03-06-2017 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sns2 (Post 3487641)
Priority The Way It Should Be

1 - RESIDENTS (we own the dang animals)
2 - Non-Resident Canadians (neighbours deserve second shot)
3 - Non-Resident Aliens (bottom of barrel)

Given that it's the taxpayers that pay the bills to manage the game populations in this province, including the salaries for the entire AEP department; the residents should definitely be the first priority.

Torkdiesel 03-06-2017 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sns2 (Post 3487641)

(we own the dang animals)

)

No you don't. The crown does, just like oil and gas, forestry, and minerals.

And it's all for sale !

Because after all we need industry

Torkdiesel 03-06-2017 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elkhunter11 (Post 3487642)

Yes, you are correct

Over the last 30 years there have been at least 5-10 instances where the numbers have been out of whack in certain WMUs for certain species.

Nobody has ever denied that

elkhunter11 03-06-2017 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torkdiesel (Post 3487650)
Yes, you are correct

Over the last 30 years there have been at least 5-10 instances where the numbers have been out of whack in certain WMUs for certain species.

Nobody has ever denied that

That is 5 or 10 times that it should not have happened. If the pronghorn population was really that low, the season ahould have been suspended for everyone. The population should be the number one priority, rather than someone making money off of the population .

Torkdiesel 03-06-2017 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elkhunter11 (Post 3487656)
That is 5 or 10 times that it should not have happened. If the pronghorn population was really that low, the season ahould have been suspended for everyone. The population should be the number one priority, rather than someone making money off of the population .

That's right, it should be adjusted as soon as possible.

And from what I remember the outfitters voluntarily stopped using the allocations after that first season.

bigwolf 03-06-2017 06:43 PM

Iv never read a thread with this much false information. Wow