Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Alberta hunters charged and convicted (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=354110)

triguy 11-05-2018 10:48 AM

Alberta hunters charged and convicted

Two Alberta sheep hunters fined over $10,000 for transporting guns and sheep through Banff National Park.

https://www.rmoutlook.com/article/hu...sheep-20181101

bitterrootfly 11-05-2018 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by triguy (Post 3866412)
Two Alberta sheep hunters fined over $10,000 for transporting guns and sheep through Banff National Park.

https://www.rmoutlook.com/article/hu...sheep-20181101

Bet they wish they made the 30km trek in now, easy way is rarely the right way.

Jamie 11-05-2018 11:01 AM

I wonder what they were thinking????
They had guns put in Gun socks. That makes me think they were trying to live up to another set of regulations. Isn't it provincial parks where you have to have guns packed up?

triguy 11-05-2018 11:12 AM

right

Yes I believe you are right. Completely covered in provincial parks (bows as well) and only in vehicles on roadways in National parks.

LJalberta 11-05-2018 11:14 AM

Brutal. The story of this hunt is still posted on a couple facebook groups. Looks like they didn't quite complete the trip as the described. They clearly state in their story it was a 30km hike out (what it would be not using the park trails), but the article states it is only about 6km using park trails. Seems to indicate they knew something was not right about using those park trails.

triguy 11-05-2018 11:20 AM

what groups

Quote:

Originally Posted by LJalberta (Post 3866431)
Brutal. The story of this hunt is still posted on a couple facebook groups. Looks like they didn't quite complete the trip as the described. They clearly state in their story it was a 30km hike out (what it would be not using the park trails), but the article states it is only about 6km using park trails. Seems to indicate they knew something was not right about using those park trails.

What groups is it posted under? I would like to have a look at them.
Thanks

LJalberta 11-05-2018 11:21 AM

Alberta Hunting Addicts and Sheep Hunting. Search 'luckwell' in either of those and it will bring up the story unless they delete the post.

SageValleyOutdoors 11-05-2018 11:30 AM

The AHA post is still up... beautiful rams...
By the sounds of it, the animals were killed outside the park, legally - but that they left the vehicles in the park and hiked through the park on their way in/out.
It’s really too bad.

KGB 11-05-2018 12:18 PM

Just to make it clear: they didn’t hunt those animals in a provincial park, they used the prov. park trails to get to their hunting area that is outside of Banff. So basically they are guilty of going thru the prov park with rifles and harvested animals? Correct me if I’m wrong.

LJalberta 11-05-2018 12:26 PM

They used national park trails to access and carry out the sheep that they shot outside of the park. Saving themselves 24km each way that every other hunter would have to travel to legally shoot those sheep. It's only worse that they also claimed they did a 30km hikeout in their social media posts.

MooseRiverTrapper 11-05-2018 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LJalberta (Post 3866487)
They used national park trails to access and carry out the sheep that they shot outside of the park. Saving themselves 24km each way that every other hunter would have to travel to legally shoot those sheep. It's only worse that they also claimed they did a 30km hikeout in their social media posts.

Taking a personal interest in this are you

LJalberta 11-05-2018 12:37 PM

Maybe too much. Everyone makes mistakes. :)

Grizzly Adams 11-05-2018 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LJalberta (Post 3866495)
Maybe too much. Everyone makes mistakes. :)

More like, someone was totally stupid. Parks Canada doesn't mess around. Question is, since they didn't break any Provincial laws, do they get to keep the rams. 10, 5 is not a bad price for a sheep Hunt :lol:

Grizz

Lefty-Canuck 11-05-2018 06:31 PM

Coordinated efforts to deceive people on the route taken...clearly points out that they knew what they were doing was not totally within the rules.

LC

pikergolf 11-05-2018 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck (Post 3866726)
Coordinated efforts to deceive people on the route taken...clearly points out that they knew what they were doing was not totally within the rules.

LC

I was thinking the same thing, if they were trying to deceive their fans as to what really went on, I have no sympathy.

FinnDawg 11-05-2018 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams (Post 3866711)
More like, someone was totally stupid. Parks Canada doesn't mess around. Question is, since they didn't break any Provincial laws, do they get to keep the rams. 10, 5 is not a bad price for a sheep Hunt :lol:

Grizz

It says the sheep heads, meat, guns and cellphones were seized. Not sure if that means permanently though.

ward 11-05-2018 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pikergolf (Post 3866729)
I was thinking the same thing, if they were trying to deceive their fans as to what really went on, I have no sympathy.

I don’t understand the fan comment. Are they celebrities ?

dgrimard 11-05-2018 06:51 PM

i called parks canada

I had this same idea for a non trophy sheep hunt, called the Banff parks office and was told that "as long as rifle is in a case it is good to transport from in park to outside of park to hunt". That would suck big time if you got wrong info on the rules.

buckbrush 11-05-2018 06:53 PM

No sympathy for these guys. They knew it was illegal. They took two legal opportunities from hunters.

pikergolf 11-05-2018 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ward (Post 3866742)
I don’t understand the fan comment. Are they celebrities ?

I was being facetious.

58thecat 11-05-2018 07:03 PM

Should have taken the long way home....:thinking-006:

Peebles 11-06-2018 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck (Post 3866726)

The strange thing to me is they were convicted in part due to self-incriminating cautioned statements. Who admits to breaking the law if they knew they were doing so? Hopefully it's because they saw the error of their ways and were filled with remorse.

58thecat 11-06-2018 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 58thecat (Post 3866758)
Should have taken the long way home....:thinking-006:

Take short cuts we'll eventually it catches up to you......lie, cheat, steal....oh wait it was the authorities fault now dig away to find a loop hole eh:snapoutofit:

calgarychef 11-06-2018 06:57 AM

Sure they broke the law but some groups are allowed to hunt within national parks. I think perhaps the law should be changed to allow hiking through parks to get where we want to go.

Versatile 11-06-2018 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckbrush (Post 3866747)
No sympathy for these guys. They knew it was illegal. They took two legal opportunities from hunters.

Not sure how they took two legal opportunities away as the sheep were harvested legally. It was how they got them out that wasnt legal.

buckbrush 11-06-2018 07:54 AM

By taking a shortcut to get into an area that hunters are hiking in 30km to get to. In my eyes these animals were not legally taken. Yes they were shot in a legal area but cheating to get there isn’t fair for the hunters.

Grizzly Adams 11-06-2018 08:28 AM

Rocky Mountain Outlook ? It's stories like this , that I always pick up Banff and Canmore papers for. They thrive on this stuff. :D

Grizz

dmcbride 11-06-2018 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckbrush (Post 3867030)
By taking a shortcut to get into an area that hunters are hiking in 30km to get to. In my eyes these animals were not legally taken. Yes they were shot in a legal area but cheating to get there isn’t fair for the hunters.

Meh, if one has enough money they can get dropped off with a helicopter the day before.

crazy_davey 11-06-2018 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmcbride (Post 3867055)
Meh, if one has enough money they can get dropped off with a helicopter the day before.

Where did you get that from, Poachers weekly magazine?

Pick up a copy of the regulations and read them.

http://www.albertaregulations.ca/hun...s/genregs.html

triguy 11-06-2018 09:02 AM

yes

Quote:

Originally Posted by calgarychef (Post 3867010)
Sure they broke the law but some groups are allowed to hunt within national parks. I think perhaps the law should be changed to allow hiking through parks to get where we want to go.

Yes and some may agree with you. But the is in place NOW so you must respect it.