Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Feral Pigs?? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=138836)

a little redneck 06-27-2012 03:11 PM

Feral Pigs??

Are there any of them Feral Pigs running around that need to be turned into bacon?

drake 06-27-2012 03:53 PM

lol

Elk Hunter 55 07-02-2012 11:51 AM

Would be Easier to Steal Military Secrets

The most you'll get is that there are wild boar in Alberta. The most likely spot is to the north west of Calgary :sHa_shakeshout:

flyguyd 07-02-2012 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elk Hunter 55 (Post 1503308)
The most you'll get is that there are wild boar in Alberta. The most likely spot is to the north west of Calgary :sHa_shakeshout:

X2

Would be easier to find Jimmy Hoffas body:thinking-006:...... LOL

Big Daddy Badger 07-02-2012 04:37 PM

Sure...let me draw you a map....not:sHa_shakeshout:

Buds you might as well ask folks for their banking info... people guard that info closer than their money.

I'd love to have at some to but it looks like it's a paid hunt, who you know or chithouse luck.:)

357mag 07-03-2012 09:11 PM

It's really funny how closely guarded this info is. We're talking about a pest that destroys agricultural land at an amazing rate, but I guess being delicious kinda makes up for it :thinking-006:

elkslayer132 07-03-2012 09:39 PM

I heard there was a few out west of Water Valley and Sundre i was thinking of having a look and talk to a few land owners out that way

wolf308 07-03-2012 09:42 PM

think their around mayerthorpe arent they?thats what i heard anyhow

Lefty-Canuck 07-03-2012 09:45 PM

When I shot mine I was forced to stare into this strange pen that flashed an amazing light.....I forgot where I was and what had happened.

LC

Big Daddy Badger 07-03-2012 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck (Post 1505519)
When I shot mine I was forced to stare into this strange pen that flashed an amazing light.....I forgot where I was and what had happened.

LC

Yours was guided wasn't it?

Lefty-Canuck 07-03-2012 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pesky672 (Post 1505521)
Yours was guided wasn't it?

Nope....well if you count that my buddy knew where they were :)....but not officially or $$$ guiding.

LC

Big Daddy Badger 07-03-2012 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck (Post 1505523)
Nope....well if you count that my buddy knew where they were :)....but not officially or $$$ guiding.

LC

Ahhh...couldn't remember.

I have seen exactly three boar.

One large tusker strolling through a stubble field near Camrose about 15 years ago and one weiner pig that went by me at mach chicken in a pasture near Wainwright a couple years ago and another tusker in the ditch one night just outside of Viking.

I guess there is an outfit north of here that offers boar hunts but...I prefer to just leave it to my own luck.

mcreg 07-03-2012 10:02 PM

Feral hogs

Not sure how far you are willing to travel but other than a few "herds" in AB, they are having a real problem in the Moose Mountains, in SK. Last I heard they were even paying for your shells just to try to control them. They were ripping up the 2 golf courses there and being very destructive. However, in saying that I haven't heard anything this year! Perhaps others have?
Good Luck

a little redneck 07-03-2012 11:45 PM

No problem, only a matter of time before I find some. I've seen some Texan hunts and those pigs are pretty nasty critters. They also mess up the land pretty good... rooting up big patches of grass and making big holes. I'm sure farmers wouldn't like them very much if they have cattle.

winger7mm 07-04-2012 12:23 AM

Yup west and south of mayerthorpe has a pretty healthy population. I heard a few years back numbers in the 10thou range, but that is all he said she said

Xiph0id 07-04-2012 12:28 AM

My uncle told me there were some in the valleyview area.
But he talks alot of crap, so who knows!

HunterDave 07-04-2012 12:45 AM

Lac Ste Anne County.......that doesn't narrow it down much but that's where they are. :)

avb3 07-04-2012 01:03 AM

Seen a couple in Red Deer County last week. My son lives near there, and waiting for him to get permission.

And it was feral; there are no wild pigs in Alberta.

Grizzly Adams 07-04-2012 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elkslayer132 (Post 1505508)
I heard there was a few out west of Water Valley and Sundre i was thinking of having a look and talk to a few land owners out that way

Wouldn't waste my time. :D Maybe a hold out or two, but those have been eradicated. County hasn't had any complaints for over a year.

Grizz

NBFK 07-04-2012 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winger7mm (Post 1505762)
Yup west and south of mayerthorpe has a pretty healthy population. I heard a few years back numbers in the 10thou range, but that is all he said she said

10,000 ? That seems a little far fetched......

buckbrushoutdoors 07-04-2012 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 357mag (Post 1505453)
It's really funny how closely guarded this info is. We're talking about a pest that destroys agricultural land at an amazing rate, but I guess being delicious kinda makes up for it :thinking-006:

I have yet too see these pigs damage anything! Maybe the odd garden but no real damage. A herd of cattle or a single bear in a oat field cause way more damage than a few pigs. Where do people get this info?

winger7mm 07-04-2012 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NBFK (Post 1505859)
10,000 ? That seems a little far fetched......

Im sure its alot higher then that even. THe pigs escaped/let go more then 25 years ago, (give or take a couple years) IIRC there was 2000 "released" Do the math

winger7mm 07-04-2012 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckbrushoutdoors (Post 1505861)
I have yet too see these pigs damage anything! Maybe the odd garden but no real damage. A herd of cattle or a single bear in a oat field cause way more damage than a few pigs. Where do people get this info?

Havent you ever seen that hog hunters show (at least I think its called that) They run hogs with dogs catch em by hand and take em off site to be slaughtered. Any how thats where they get the info from :thinking-006:

houndsmen 07-04-2012 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winger7mm (Post 1506093)
Im sure its alot higher then that even. THe pigs escaped/let go more then 25 years ago, (give or take a couple years) IIRC there was 2000 "released" Do the math

You need to start thinking alot more before you post. Some of this crap your coming up with is so far out there it's quite annoying. Where do you come up with these BS numbers??? 25 yrs ago? 2,00 released?? Over 10,000 now??? You obviously don't know what your talking, ssshhhhhhh :snapoutofit:

walking buffalo 07-04-2012 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckbrushoutdoors (Post 1505861)

From real life experience. Google "Feral hogs environmental agricultural damage". After just a little research, a person would have to be purposefully blind to not accept that Feral hogs have the potential to inflict massive environmental damage.

Alberta is at risk of experiencing the same Feral hog problems occurring throughout the US if the population gets established.

To answer the OP,
YES! There are feral pigs in Alberta that need to be turned into Bacon.

buckbrushoutdoors 07-04-2012 11:45 AM

I have seen the damage they can cause in the southern states where the numbers are in the 6 figures per state but here where we have wolves and cougars and large coyotes the numbers stay in check from what I have personally seen(not google). I have yet to see any damage from a few pigs that would even rival what one bear can do to an oatfield in one night.

and winger keep making yourself look stupid with all your lies good job :sHa_sarcasticlol:

houndsmen 07-04-2012 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by walking buffalo (Post 1506132)
From real life experience. Google "Feral hogs environmental agricultural damage". After just a little research, a person would have to be purposefully blind to not accept that Feral hogs have the potential to inflict massive environmental damage.

Alberta is at risk of experiencing the same Feral hog problems occurring throughout the US if the population gets established.

To answer the OP,
YES! There are feral pigs in Alberta that need to be turned into Bacon.

Real life experience? Find me 3 farmers that have had any sizeable amount of damge too anything by hogs in the last few years around here? I can't understand why people like you seem to think these pigs are going to destroy the world? They created some problems when they first showed up, then, they got all there heads blown off. Thats about the size of it. Their's still a few around but they stick too useless swampland mostly. If they don't they get killed. Thats That!

That's the problem with getting ALL your info. from google WB, sometimes you have too actually be in the middle of it in real life to actually see whats going on.

Matt L. 07-04-2012 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winger7mm (Post 1506093)

I live south and west of Mayerthorpe, there aren't even that many INSIDE the fences! I don't know where the hell you got the info from, but it is bull****. I suggest checking your sources before making spectacularly outlandish claims.

winger7mm 07-04-2012 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by houndsmen (Post 1506105)
You need to start thinking alot more before you post. Some of this crap your coming up with is so far out there it's quite annoying. Where do you come up with these BS numbers??? 25 yrs ago? 2,00 released?? Over 10,000 now??? You obviously don't know what your talking, ssshhhhhhh :snapoutofit:

The farmer that owned the pigs was going under, so he released them, not sure if it was for the insurance of lost animals, to not have to pay for feed, who knows. Im sorry that you find me annoying. Im just repeating things I was told growing up. I lived in that area for 22 years. And IIRC he released them in 85 or around there somewhere.

Elk Hunter17 07-04-2012 12:13 PM

Saw 6 this morning on the way to work but I had no rifle, lucky piggies