Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fly-Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Red Deer River bulls and browns (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=155222)

newflyfisherman 11-06-2012 09:52 AM

Red Deer River bulls and browns

I have been fishing the upper red deer a few weeks back, caught a few browns and a few bulls, lots of whities. I'm wondering if anyone knows any good spots below dickson dam for more of the same. Not so much for the bulls but for browns any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Flyfisher87 11-06-2012 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newflyfisherman (Post 1686563)
I have been fishing the upper red deer a few weeks back, caught a few browns and a few bulls, lots of whities. I'm wondering if anyone knows any good spots below dickson dam for more of the same. Not so much for the bulls but for browns any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

I haven't fished it in years. But the stretch from Dickson Dam to the Joffre bridge used to be fairly good for browns. The guy to ask would be FishHunter7. He would have more up to date info than I would have.

Snakeroller 11-06-2012 05:11 PM

There is a nice little stretch just east of the confluence of the Medicine River and the Red Deer River. Just go south of Sylvan Lake to the dead end of Highway 781. It is easy to get down if you turn left (east) when you get there.

Let me know if you get lucky. I didn't.

Snakeroller

Snakeroller 11-06-2012 05:13 PM

There is a nice little stretch just east of the confluence of the Medicine River and the Red Deer River. Just go south of Sylvan Lake to the dead end of Highway 781. It is easy to get down if you turn left (east) when you get there.

Let me know if you get lucky. I didn't.

Snakeroller

Fishnafterwork 11-06-2012 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyfisher87 (Post 1687237)
I haven't fished it in years. But the stretch from Dickson Dam to the Joffre bridge used to be fairly good for browns. The guy to ask would be FishHunter7. He would have more up to date info than I would have.

X2 on fishhunter7..... Send him a pm and he can tell u where each brown is in the river and when.. Haha. :)

Bhflyfisher 11-06-2012 06:01 PM

I would try and get a hold of dave jensen via facebook or his email or on here. he'll point you in a better direction and wont bs you.

Flyfisher87 11-06-2012 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishnafterwork (Post 1687347)
X2 on fishhunter7..... Send him a pm and he can tell u where each brown is in the river and when.. Haha. :)

And what flies to use

newflyfisherman 11-06-2012 07:00 PM

Thanks for the info guys. And I have fished the dead end on 781 this earlier in the season snakeroller, a few walleye but no trout..have not been back since mid june might have to take a crack at it before it gets to cold.

Bhflyfisher 11-06-2012 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newflyfisherman (Post 1687483)
Thanks for the info guys. And I have fished the dead end on 781 this earlier in the season snakeroller, a few walleye but no trout..have not been back since mid june might have to take a crack at it before it gets to cold.

most of the fish are either going to be on their redds, or just getting off. Its not really the best time to be looking for numbers. There will be a couple though packing on the feed bag.

fish gunner 11-06-2012 10:22 PM

two guys one rigged for pike,one for trout. after buddy hooks the brown start ripping big streamers close to shore structure. some very big pike in those waters, white stripe is my fave near the end of 1.5.