Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fly-Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   "Fishing" in closed waters (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=374827)

Jayhad 01-05-2020 03:36 PM

"Fishing" in closed waters

So the regs define sport fishing as using a line and a hook.
So by definition you can cast a fly into closed waters as long as you have no point in your fly, correct?

huntsfurfish 01-05-2020 03:46 PM

:party0052::party0051:

.243dude 01-05-2020 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huntsfurfish (Post 4086387)
:party0052::party0051:

X2 this should be interesting. :thinking-006:

Mr Flyguy 01-05-2020 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jayhad (Post 4086383)
So by definition you can cast a fly into closed waters as long as you have no point in your fly, correct?

Well, you go ahead but when the CO comes around we don't know you.

Paintedblac 01-05-2020 08:43 PM

I actually called the fish cops and asked if I could practice my Spey casting on the river when the season is closed if I cut the hook off he said that would be fine.

lone wolf 01-05-2020 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jayhad (Post 4086383)

Please define "no point in your fly" for us.

ShortsideK 01-06-2020 09:04 AM

Fishing is defined as the activity of trying to catch fish.

Since your plan is to cast a line having a fly with no hook, thus having no capability of catching a fish, you cannot be considered to be fishing.
No different than casting a piece of yarn.

goldscud 01-06-2020 12:37 PM

Probably best to let the fish cops know exactly what and where you will be doing your casting/teasing

Mr Flyguy 01-06-2020 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShortsideK (Post 4086657)

Since your plan is to cast a line having a fly with no hook, thus having no capability of catching a fish, you cannot be considered to be fishing.

Hmm, what happens if the fish swallows the bit of yarn or the yarn gets stuck in its teeth, sounds like fishing to me!

Anyway, why even bother practicing casting on closed waters?

58thecat 01-06-2020 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy (Post 4086796)
Hmm, what happens if the fish swallows the bit of yarn or the yarn gets stuck in its teeth, sounds like fishing to me!

yup...eats it and now your fishing...find another body of water.....save a potential run in.

spurly 01-06-2020 03:59 PM

Casting

If you look for trouble. It’s easy to find.

freeride 01-06-2020 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShortsideK (Post 4086657)

On river monsters Jeremy Wade used yarn to catch quite a few eels where he was not allowed to use a hook but allowed to fish. Snags in teeth...

Would be fishing then.

old dog 01-06-2020 05:18 PM

Sounds like u just want a run in with the COs to me

fordtruckin 01-06-2020 10:14 PM

I’d present your question to your local CO over AO. They are the ones your going to have to explain yourself too not some AO member. I can also say that if indeed illegal and your excuse is .......... on AO said it was ok won’t end well for you.

Jayhad 01-07-2020 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freeride (Post 4086840)
On river monsters Jeremy Wade used yarn to catch quite a few eels where he was not allowed to use a hook but allowed to fish. Snags in teeth...

Would be fishing then.

Clearly it is not, fishing is defined as using a hook and line

Jayhad 01-07-2020 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy (Post 4086796)

But you are using your feelings for this interpretation not the written rules which state fishing is defined as using a line and hook, not weather or not the fish can be brought in.

This has nothing to do with practicing my casting, all though that's funny.

Jayhad 01-07-2020 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lone wolf (Post 4086569)
Please define "no point in your fly" for us.

I don't need to, the regulations have an illustration clearly showing a hook and its parts. Just use one with out a point.... not to hard to imagine. If you are going cut your point off just slide the cutters up the curve a little more to ease your senses.

What this thread really shows me is that a bunch of you have been beat down so hard that you can't ride the line, you can't push the envelop, you're too scared of your perceived keepers.
It's a shame betas surround us all.

Sundancefisher 01-07-2020 10:48 AM

Letting fish cops know is good. Also doing it well out of sight of people would be wise also. Problem is people are sheep. If they see you fishing they may go fishing without looking up the regs. Thinking of protecting the resource it is always good to lead by example. I have no issue with practicing on the River. Question is there a spot not closed that would work just as well?

I know a guy who had a horrible time with fish and wildlife because his kid was casting a fisher price rod with a giant bobber and fake hook. Cop said it was fishing and still ticketed. He paid the ticket as the alternative was too much time off work.

Happy casting.

Curious if the cop was clear and is okay with using a big fly with the bend and point broken off.

Mr Flyguy 01-07-2020 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jayhad (Post 4087221)
But you are using your feelings for this interpretation not the written rules which state fishing is defined as using a line and hook, not weather or not the fish can be brought in.

This has nothing to do with practicing my casting, all though that's funny.

What's the weather got to do with this thread? Oh, you mean whether...:sign0161:

58thecat 01-07-2020 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jayhad (Post 4087218)

Sportfishing – means angling (using hook and line), bowfishing or spearfishing, but also includes using a minnow trap, seine net or dip net to collect bait fish for personal use.

Bait – an attractant or organism (alive or dead), with scent or flavour intended to attract fish when attached to a hook or line used in angling. (See “Fishing with Bait”).

your fly with no hook attached to the line is considered bait but.....

The official Statutes and Regulations should be consulted for all purposes of interpreting and applying the law. Clarification of the regulations may be obtained from your nearest Fish and Wildlife Office of Alberta Environment and Parks.

Don't be that guy/gal....

vcmm 01-07-2020 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundancefisher (Post 4087263)
Letting fish cops know is good. Also doing it well out of sight of people would be wise also. Problem is people are sheep. If they see you fishing they may go fishing without looking up the regs. Thinking of protecting the resource it is always good to lead by example. I have no issue with practicing on the River. Question is there a spot not closed that would work just as well?

I know a guy who had a horrible time with fish and wildlife because his kid was casting a fisher price rod with a giant bobber and fake hook. Cop said it was fishing and still ticketed. He paid the ticket as the alternative was too much time off work.

Happy casting.

Curious if the cop was clear and is okay with using a big fly with the bend and point broken off.

That F&W shouldn't have a badge.:argue2::snapoutofit:

Sundancefisher 01-07-2020 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vcmm (Post 4087287)
That F&W shouldn't have a badge.:argue2::snapoutofit:

It was silly

huntsfurfish 01-07-2020 12:34 PM

Sounds like someone just wants to push peoples buttons.

Even if you call them.
Fish cops will still be tied up checking on you. Wasting their time and its not like we have to many Fish Cops as it is.
And as mentioned u may attract followers.
Plus it gives poachers an excuse to be down there fishing errr not fishing:).

No need to practice on closed water.

freeride 01-07-2020 12:36 PM

Quote:

Then go practice with a pointless fly, toss a net in the river too while your at it.

I know this was a hypothetical question and I am not sure what the answer would be.

To me personally it wouldnt be worth the price of the ticket or fighting it, especially since you dont need a fly to cast a fly rod. What would be the point of ruining a fly to test the law?

freeride 01-07-2020 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huntsfurfish (Post 4087323)

Even if you call them.
Fish cops will still be tied up checking on you. Wasting their time and its not like we have to many Fish Cops as it is.
Plus it gives poachers an excuse to be down there fishing:).

Exactly I just think this thread is FISHING without a point on a hook for the OP

Jayhad 01-07-2020 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 58thecat (Post 4087272)
Bait – an attractant or organism (alive or dead), with scent or flavour intended to attract fish when attached to a hook or line used in angling. (See “Fishing with Bait”).

your fly with no hook attached to the line is considered bait but.....

No it isn't, this rational is ridiculous at best... explain to me how fly anglers are to fish in areas where bait is banned by your logic.

Jayhad 01-07-2020 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huntsfurfish (Post 4087323)

Even if you call them.
Plus it gives poachers an excuse to be down there fishing errr not fishing:).

Perhaps you are correct with your first assumption.

On your two other assumptions, I don't think so; poachers take regardless of rule or witnessing another. That's like saying you shouldn't shoot on crown land because a poacher may get the excuse to poach.

This has absolutely nothing to do with practicing my cast.

58thecat 01-07-2020 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jayhad (Post 4087338)
No it isn't, this rational is ridiculous at best... explain to me how fly anglers are to fish in areas where bait is banned by your logic.

the fly is an attractant...ahhh heck why dance with a troll....

The official Statutes and Regulations should be consulted for all purposes of interpreting and applying the law. Clarification of the regulations may be obtained from your nearest Fish and Wildlife Office of Alberta Environment and Parks. They will set you straight....

daveyn 01-07-2020 06:57 PM

Quote:

So if you believe you already know the answer then why are you asking the question?

catnthehat 01-07-2020 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jayhad (Post 4087222)
I don't need to, the regulations have an illustration clearly showing a hook and its parts. Just use one with out a point.... not to hard to imagine. If you are going cut your point off just slide the cutters up the curve a little more to ease your senses.

What this thread really shows me is that a bunch of you have been beat down so hard that you can't ride the line, you can't push the envelop, you're too scared of your perceived keepers.
It's a shame betas surround us all.

I have caught fish without a hook on a fly, both pike and walleye, using a small piece of Sampson braid rope.
It has nothing to do with "being afraid to ride the line" or pushing the envelope" as you say, it has everything to do with me knowing full well that fishing is just that , with a hook on your line or not.
Cat