Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   fishing around grande cache (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=27194)

Moults 02-04-2009 09:12 PM

fishing around grande cache

hey guys

I am working in the grande cache area (fighting the evil pine beetle) for the next little while and im new to the area. can anyone offer any tips for fishing the local lakes? location and presentation would be appreciated. thanks!

Moults

Little Red Man 02-04-2009 09:40 PM

I have only ice fished the local lakes a few times, but so far a small jig (does not seem to matter what kind.....just small) with a piece of worm or maggot seems to get attention. The lakes around here are not very deep, but I usually drill a hole and look for about a dozen or so feet of water.

whiskybaron 02-05-2009 10:24 AM

I lived there for a lot of years and the fishing has gone down hill a lot it is hit and miss but all you need are eithier small jigs or small russian hooks with worm, maggot or like a lot of the locaals use corn. Grande Cache lake is usually better and though there are big fish in the lake you will most likely catch 6 to 10 inch trout, victor lake has better quality of fish but they are harder to catch toward spring the bite will pick up around late feb into march and april. Piere grey lakes can be quite good in the winter but am not sure of the aceess anymore I have not lived there for a few years. PM and I can share a few of the spots that used to produce well for me. I will be fishing victor lake on Saturday if u are around.

Cal 02-05-2009 05:56 PM

Yeah I would go with any of the piere grays lakes if you can get to them, is rock lake accessible? Might be fun to go after the lakers.

Little Red Man 02-05-2009 08:49 PM

Yeah...Pierre Greys is accessible and fishing OK. Have not seen any big ones though.

My thought was to try Rock as well....but drove in there to the end of the road and seemed to be a long way away from the lake. Probably a good hike to get in there.

Cal 02-05-2009 08:59 PM

My wife got a 16 incher out of the middle lake last summer. The summer before I was only out there one day but we got a whole stringer full of 12 to 13 inchers so theyre in there.

Dark Wing 02-06-2009 02:21 AM

Fishn' in G.C.

I've had a lot of success in Grande cache lake. I use light line (6lb) with a single hook and worm or maggots. We catch mostly rainbows and the odd brookie an bulltrout. Victor lake is stocked with brook trout and the odd big rainbow (6lb plus), my biggest was close to 8lb and had a buddy pull one out that tipped the scale at over 9lb. At this time of year the rainbows will have eggs in them, make row sacks with an old nylon, its the deadliest bait I've used to catch the big guys.

sneer 02-06-2009 08:36 AM

Rock Lake?

Isn't Rock Lake closed for fishing for the Winter, Little Red Man???

When did they stop stocking rainbows in Victor Lake? Was there a reason for it (or is it like most of the other cases...no rhyme or reason)?

I've only been out to Pierre Gray once this year, which was well after prime time. It was a so so day. Had one decent bull trout on for a few seconds but otherwise, just played with some very little brookies.

Were bull trout stocked in all the lakes around GC at one point? Do they reproduce?

whiskybaron 02-06-2009 10:23 AM

Rainbow trout were never technically stocked in victor they are there by accident and they get in by swimming the channel between the two lakes in high water, that is why the ones you do catch in victor are always a good size, victor is stocked with brookies. The bull trout are in piere grey natural

Dark Wing 02-06-2009 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sneer (Post 260833)
Isn't Rock Lake closed for fishing for the Winter, Little Red Man???

When did they stop stocking rainbows in Victor Lake? Was there a reason for it (or is it like most of the other cases...no rhyme or reason)?

I've only been out to Pierre Gray once this year, which was well after prime time. It was a so so day. Had one decent bull trout on for a few seconds but otherwise, just played with some very little brookies.

Were bull trout stocked in all the lakes around GC at one point? Do they reproduce?

Victor lake was stocked with Rainbow between 1970-85 and from 86-until now with brooktrout. Which was to bad cause that lake produced some of the hardest fighting healthy rainbows in Alberta. I was talking to the Game warden a couple of weeks ago and he said they might restock it with rainbows this year.

Bull trout are found naturally in a lot if not all the lakes but are hard to catch. I've caught them in Victor, G.C., McDonald and alepeche lake.

whiskybaron 02-06-2009 12:24 PM

I hope they do not stock it with rainbows there are some huge brookies in that lake it would be a shame to see them convert both lakes to rainbow. Do you have any idea why they would change?

sneer 02-06-2009 03:25 PM

Triploid

This is just a total hypothesis. But with the shift to 3N trout in the province, the spawning behavior in brook trout could change enough to make them a less sought after species (no more spawning colors and no more schooling in the shallows in November looking for spawning beds).

I also read somewhere that Brookies and Rainbows are genetically different in how they grow. When in the presence of excess calories, Rainbows want to grow whereas Brookies want to store the calories for future use. Hence why Rainbows grow bigger and faster than Brookies.

lambski 02-06-2009 09:52 PM

3n vs 2n

pretty sure if the lake is land locked they are still going to throw some 2ns with the 3ns so we still might get the so called spawners in shallow with all the colour. I was thinking the other day and wonder if the 3ns even though there genetically made to think that spawning does not exist will surcome to learnt behavior after time and follow the mannerisims of 2ns:scared:

Big.Bear 02-06-2009 10:24 PM

Quote:

Isn't Rock Lake closed for fishing for the Winter, Little Red Man??
that is correct it is closed for the winter. There are signs at the boat launch there and I don't believe the road all the way to the lake is maintained.

addicted 02-06-2009 11:28 PM

If I was told correctly the 3n fish are approximately 99% sterile leaving that 1% to overcome genetic manipulation. My friend is from north BC and told me of a lake there that was stocked with tripoids years ago before hand there was no naturally spawning fish in the lake after they left it for afew years they gave back and shocked and found younge rainbows in it the only thing they could say is the fish found a way to reproduce. Kinda like Jurasic Park ....... cleaver girl ....yikes lol

Little Red Man 02-07-2009 12:48 AM

Yeah...never checked the regs to see if it was open in winter because I was only checking to see how far the road got to the lake with snow and never actually made it close enough to the lake to attempt fishing....guess it is a bit of a moot point......

Moults 02-15-2009 12:50 PM

great thread guys, thanks a bunch for the insights!