Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Never Hurts to Send an Email (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=386054)

vegasmacker 08-13-2020 02:32 PM

Never Hurts to Send an Email

Put up a previous thread about only 10 mule doe tags being issued in 300 and was fairly certain it was a mistake. Saw the undersubscribed list and noticed there was 91 tags available, but one problem I was working Saturday and likely wouldn’t be able to try and get one until the afternoon. In reality I had a years priority so should have been 100% for a draw as only 37 priority 1’s had applied. I talked to fish and game who said that didn’t seem right, but we’re nice enough to give me the number to the licensing lady. Talked to her and she said well we screwed up on the computer, but that’s how we decided to do it. She was not very nice about it and basically told me best of luck on Saturday.

Angry, I sent a very polite email to the minister about how this was computer error, so shouldn’t the people who actually put in for the draw still have the opportunity etc. Low and behold someone from his office called me the next day. They told me the minister had no idea it had been handled this way and that someone who shouldn’t have made this decision did, but they would be rectifying it with the people who had applied to the draw. Got this email today. Never hurts to write an email!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...2e13b749e7.jpg

oldgutpile 08-13-2020 04:43 PM

draw system failure

That's great that they were able to rectify it for so many people. Good on you for chasing it down, especially after having to deal with a crustly civil servant. This also speaks volumes for the ministers office in the way it obviously got rectified in such short order.

Dean2 08-14-2020 09:59 AM

Got to say I have been impressed with how Nixon has handled the portfolio overall, this is just one more example of how much better it is run now than under the NDP. As to the crusty lady, to be fair she isn't a civil servant, RELM is outsourced to a private company. They seemed to have had a lot of screw ups this year.

elkhunter11 08-14-2020 10:21 AM

Good on you for taking some action, instead of just complaining, and good on those in charge for correcting the mistake.

sns2 08-14-2020 10:27 AM

Glad you got your tag.

I sent him a very polite email, thanking him for his good performance thus far, and asking him why we are not allowed to use a dog in tracking a downed big game animal, and asking if they'd consider it. No response.

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk

Lefty-Canuck 08-14-2020 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sns2 (Post 4218291)
Glad you got your tag.

I sent him a very polite email, thanking him for his good performance thus far, and asking him why we are not allowed to use a dog in tracking a downed big game animal, and asking if they'd consider it. No response.

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk

That proposal has been made in depth at AGMAG, I think the next run of regulations and changes you may see it. It will be highly regulated and I believe only certain qualified folks will be able to assist with tracking.... if it passes.

LC

walking buffalo 08-14-2020 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck (Post 4218302)
That proposal has been made in depth at AGMAG, I think the next run of regulations and changes you may see it. It will be highly regulated and I believe only certain qualified folks will be able to assist with tracking.... if it passes.

LC

Got to love Mother Alberta....

Another make work project by the lobbyists.

This new group of professionals will need and deserve their own DOA,

Or, just have APOS run the program....

heybert 08-15-2020 08:26 AM

Glad you got it all sorted. What I can’t understand is why the system goes through a foreign company instead of it being run locally.

Lefty-Canuck 08-15-2020 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by walking buffalo (Post 4218608)
Got to love Mother Alberta....

Another make work project by the lobbyists.

This new group of professionals will need and deserve their own DOA,

Or, just have APOS run the program....

Or just let AFGA make all the decisions and enjoy the fun and game from that...

LC

marky_mark 08-15-2020 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heybert (Post 4218884)
Glad you got it all sorted. What I can’t understand is why the system goes through a foreign company instead of it being run locally.

IBM ran it before
But it was based out of downtown edmonton

elkhunter11 08-15-2020 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck (Post 4218996)

LC

No thanks.

walking buffalo 08-15-2020 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck (Post 4218996)

LC

lame...

The point is, tracking dogs is not something that needs to be monopolized by government licenced "professionals"....

The standard Wildlife hunting certificate should be enough qualification to be allowed to use a dog for tracking wounded game.

-------

Thanks for the thread Vegasmaker, and the effort to have F&W correct their mistake.

This is not just on AlbertaRelm, F&W Licencing and Resource Data has made some bad decisions lately.
Happy so this this boat turn tack.

Moosetalker 08-17-2020 04:44 PM

[QUOTE=walking buffalo;4219204]lame...

The point is, tracking dogs is not something that needs to be monopolized by government licenced "professionals"....

The standard Wildlife hunting certificate should be enough qualification to be allowed to use a dog for tracking wounded game.

Agreed Fully in favor of having a tracking dog under leash control for personal not for profit use.

However!!! I would like the people and there will be those that will/advertise.
That they have a dog for tracking for xx$. They will need to be regulated and licensed.

Dean2 08-17-2020 05:18 PM

The idea that u need to have this much control over who can use a dog for tracking wounded game is beyond stupid. All over the world dogs are used to blood track wounded game with no issues at all. It really isn't that complicated.

Smoky buck 08-17-2020 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean2 (Post 4220338)
The idea that u need to have this much control over who can use a dog for tracking wounded game is beyond stupid. All over the world dogs are used to blood track wounded game with no issues at all. It really isn't that complicated.

I agree 100% it is just a tool to recover an animal the hunter has shot. It does nothing but help prevent game from being lost. Leash requirement I could understand

landowner 08-17-2020 07:02 PM

Sooo, if I am riding out in my pasture with my cattle dog, and He finds a deer that a neighbor or friend wounded in the morning, am I in trouble?

Pathfinder76 08-17-2020 08:54 PM

So I put in for wmu 300 antlerless MD and wasn’t drawn. How many bloody tags are they going to give out for that zone now? What a gong show.