Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   How's Wizard Lake Doing? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=323214)

Hamsnacks 06-08-2017 04:18 PM

How's Wizard Lake Doing?

Been told to try Wizard lake for some good Pike fishing.
Just wondering if anyone has been there this year/spring and how it went for them?
Any keepers or was everything under regulation?

Not looking for any secret spots or anything like that but what part of the lake has been good to you?

Thanks

wildwoods 06-08-2017 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hamsnacks (Post 3558722)
Been told to try Wizard lake for some good Pike fishing.
Just wondering if anyone has been there this year/spring and how it went for them?
Any keepers or was everything under regulation?

Not looking for any secret spots or anything like that but what part of the lake has been good to you?

Thanks

Find a weedbed at wizard and you've found pike. Some nice ones in there but you'll have to filter thru the hammer handles

Hamsnacks 06-13-2017 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildwoods (Post 3558743)
Find a weedbed at wizard and you've found pike. Some nice ones in there but you'll have to filter thru the hammer handles

Is the lake heavy with weeds, don't have a very strong motor or a high end boat just something very simple.
Think I would be fine or might have problems?

Talking moose 06-13-2017 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hamsnacks (Post 3562255)
Is the lake heavy with weeds, don't have a very strong motor or a high end boat just something very simple.
Think I would be fine or might have problems?

You'll be fine. Especially right now. Weeds won't be an issue for about another month. Even then, any boat will do fine in that lake all year long...(except November through April)

-JR- 06-13-2017 05:29 AM

Used to fish that lake during the week a lot when i lived in Devon.
Best spot is just past the narrows on the left side maybe 100 feet before some red balls that are used for a water ski group.

Hamsnacks 06-14-2017 01:11 AM

Thanks for all the responses, greatly appreciated!

Will go most likely next week and post an update to let anyone else who may be wondering.

neilsledder 06-14-2017 07:20 AM

Had some good days ice fishing it. Gets busy in the summer with water skiers and being long and narrow it's hard to get away from them. But it's decent fishing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vook 06-14-2017 03:13 PM

Was there with kids couple days ago. Lots of small pikes around 50 cm. Was fishing for couple hrs. No perch. Kids had a fun anyway.

subcultural heritage 06-25-2017 11:49 AM

Canoe?

Been wondering about taking the canoe there for a quick trip, is it worth it?

Red Bullets 06-25-2017 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subcultural heritage (Post 3570964)
Been wondering about taking the canoe there for a quick trip, is it worth it?

The west end of the lake is nicer for canoeing. No skiers and less pleasure boaters.

Ronji 06-26-2017 07:37 AM

Wizard Lake

I was fishing for a couple of hours yesterday and the action was great. Caught 21. The only bad thing, as there wasn't a keeper in the bunch.
Used a couple of different rapala's. A white one, and another in yellow perch.