Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Late season moose tactics? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=45859)

benrudmik 11-18-2009 11:27 PM

Late season moose tactics?

I was drawn again for late season antlered moose in WMU 350. I was drawn in 07 and never filled my tag. I really hope that I get a chance to harvest my first moose this year. I leave on Friday, and Ill be hunting every day until i fill my tag or December 1 arrives.

I spent about a week in October hunting WTD and scouting moose. I saw a few nice bulls and a bunch of cows and calves. Hopefully those bulls show up next week.

So I am just curious to hear what you all think Moose are up to these last 10 days of the season. And what the best approach is for late season moose.

Thanks

Cal 11-19-2009 09:28 AM

I personaly use the run and gun method, use an ATV cover lots of cutlines looking for fresh tracks, then track them on foot. I dont often find them by water at this point, they are usualy on higher ground with alot of feed. In 350 this might non narrow it down much though. All the best places I've found for lat season moose have lots of rose hips, timing is important thoug, by now they have probably eaten most of the rose hips and moved on to other feed. Good luck

benrudmik 11-19-2009 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cal (Post 436418)
I personaly use the run and gun method, use an ATV cover lots of cutlines looking for fresh tracks, then track them on foot. I dont often find them by water at this point, they are usualy on higher ground with alot of feed. In 350 this might non narrow it down much though. All the best places I've found for lat season moose have lots of rose hips, timing is important thoug, by now they have probably eaten most of the rose hips and moved on to other feed. Good luck

Yeah that exactly what we usually do. We walk from camp in the morning and then hop on the quad after 12 and tour a ton of country. I hope the walking gets a bit better because its really cruchy out there right now. thanks for your input

pdfish 11-19-2009 11:34 AM

I know of a couple areas in 350 that hold moose but I'm guessing you've already got your spot picked out. If it was me, I'd be looking in the big timber (mature polars and spruce) up on the ridges. Personally, I wouldn't waste my time down in the swamps.

huntinstuff 11-19-2009 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cal (Post 436418)

x2....

Wind is your friend. IF you walk into the wind, chances are the moose, if it is bedded, will be facing you. Reason is, the wind allows him to smell what is behind him and he can watch what is in front of him. Thus, you should walk slowly and deliberately.

Cut a track and follow it if you can. Slowly. I mean 5 minutes for every 50ft or so. Your sight picture changes alot as you walk so take your time. No sense walking thru the bush like a madman....

Best of Luck. I know this works (done it for about 15 moose so far)

Elkaholic6 11-19-2009 01:27 PM

1st of November till the 7th we went out to 351 and filled 2 of our bull tags. Seen 2 bulls a day. All of them except 2 were in tall poplars and willows. We use our quads to go check out cutlines and cutblocks and wont find them too far off the trails.

Bowser 11-19-2009 01:39 PM

The bulls should be lookin for food after the rut to fatten up for winter. Find your red willow stands at first and last light, do some social grunting, and late in the season I have seen more in the hilltops and benches than the low country. Find some full growth stands boardering cut blocks as they will use these for travel. I also found moose to be very social and have found small social grunting around cut blocks pull bulls out to the cut-line. As stated above watch your wind and keep all noise to a minimum. Good Luck and let us know how you made out.

WkndWarrior 11-19-2009 01:59 PM

I find this to be a very interesting topic as I have never hunted moose in the rut before yet have had a fair amount of success between Nov 1-30(late season). There are many variables that would have influence on ones success late season. Weather, hunting pressure, food sources. In the area I hunt you dont see them as much crossing or walking the cut lines. Instead they stay tight to the feeding/bedding areas which are fairly dense bush.

I once heard that if you walk cross wind they will want to swing around and get down wind of you. I've tried it many times with little success in the area I hunt.

What has worked for me is calling two of the last three seasons. They are curious and will come and investigate.

Bowser 11-19-2009 02:16 PM

Some pics from last weekend, just to keep you on edge !
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/h...nab/moose2.jpg

and 3 hiding for a total of 6

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/h...nab/moose5.jpg

benrudmik 11-19-2009 03:30 PM

Thanks again for all your tips. I will be posting pictures of my first Bull Moose sometime next week, so keep an eye out for me.:lol:

Cal 11-19-2009 07:03 PM

I often use bull grunts while tracking, the moose dont answere but they will forgive you a little noise. As well you can sometimes use grunts to get them to come out from behind a tree or bush and give you a shot. I've seen big whitetails that should deffinatly have known better watch me walk up on them or even cautiously move a bit closer to try and figure out whats going on when doing this stalk and grunt thing.

jrs 11-19-2009 10:35 PM

Perfect thread, I'll be watching for tips as well. My brother hunted the rut hard this year and still has his tag (non split season area) so new tactics are needed for the last efforts.
We were deer hunting last week and saw 2 bulls hanging out in young aspen stands. All the fresh moose sign seemed to be in similar cutblocks. Unfortunately the bulls were not in the proper zone for my brother as we were looking for deer further east (15 days out in 438 so far, he has not seen a bull yet). The moose for the most part seemed to be hanging out in hilly areas where we were, what i'd usually consider to be more "elky". The only tracks we found in the proper zone appeared to be cow/calf pairs and they were in similar cutblocks but with more pine. Neither of us filled any tags but the elk and moose do seem to hang out in similar habitat during this time of year.
Good luck to you anyway, still a few weeks of season left here. Hope you find one.