Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Need advice on FCPP First Canadian Protection Plan (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=51296)

Tuco 01-30-2010 11:24 PM

Need advice on FCPP First Canadian Protection Plan

We are buying a new RV and they asked if we want to buy the extended warrianty from FCPP. Does anyone have any experiance with this plan???

Selkirk 01-31-2010 02:26 PM

Fourteen hours later, and still no response from anyone! :(

Sorry, I know nothing about FCPP. However, when it comes to buying extended warranties, I always advise to 'tread cautiously'. Many extended warranties are not worth the paper they're written on, and the number of auto warranty companies that have gone bankrupt in the last few years has turned a lot of people off the idea.

Here's a few links for you ...
http://www.wheels.ca/TADA/article/167044
http://www.ehow.com/how_17714_determ...warrantys.html
http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/f...please-563987/
http://ezinearticles.com/?Is-a-New-O...It?&id=3059702
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extende...S.A_.26_Canada
http://brianx.com/lifestyle/extended-warranties.html
And Google will give you a whole lot more; http://www.google.ca/
Hope some of that ^ helps,

TF

Piker 01-31-2010 07:36 PM

Extended warranty

We just purchased a new r.v. and got the warranty on the finish of the unit. If we do not make a claim on it in 6 yrs. we get the whole amt back. we also got the warranty on the unit itself. [I] am not sure of the company or the price as we have not brought it home yet. The warranty does not kick inuntil we drive it off the lot. Piker

The Elkster 01-31-2010 08:03 PM

Good luck in 6 years. I suspect the fine print will dictate something other than a full refund. No company is going to cover people for free. Being that most of these warranty companies are independant from the RV place how are they making money if only those that make a claim have to pay. If something seems too good to be true it usually is.

Put away the money you'd spend on an extended warranty and use that to cover any repairs after the regular warranty period is up. Generally most stuff will go early (appliances, leaks etc) if its going to go and therefore is covered by the standard RV warranty. Take a very close look at what the extended warranty will actually cover and keep in mind you'll have to prove things like wear and tear damage as opposed to faulty equipment. I've known too many people who have paid big money for warranties only to have claims turned down on account of anything under the sun. Once these companies have your money they are in the drivers seat and they know it. Don't like it...sure you can spend 10k in court to TRY to get your 2k back or a 2k claim honored.

One other thing to keep in mind is that warranties rarely cover labor and often times that that cost eclipses the parts costs so an extended warranty at best may only cover a fraction of any repair bills.

Just some thoughts

RUBBERDUCKY 02-01-2010 12:28 PM

I deal with f.c.p.p on a daily basis in car and truck industry, they are fine to deal with, if you get a detailed list of whats covered and not, get the plan # from the dealer, and call them, they will give you a list of whats exactly covered, and whats not,

heres the # 1-800-381-2580

i talk to them all the time, and for the most part, they will cover just about anything, depending on the type of plan you purchase.

beerhunter 02-01-2010 04:23 PM

The warranty company is good FCPP. I have even seen many customers get their money back when they haven't used the warranty over the full term.

The cost of the plan does cover parts and labour. Its a common sense warranty if it doesn't work they fix it. If you broke it too bad. Lots of stuff to go wrong in an RV, plumbing, electrical, appliances etc. Each time you take it out it has an earth quake inside. Things happen when these things bounce down the road. You chose what works for you. It is good piece of mind.

chevycruze2012 09-14-2015 06:29 PM

Complete ripoff and SCAM

I purchased a brand new 2012 Chevy Cruze from a GM dealership in Mississauga, Ontario on July 31, 2012. The sales representative along with his business manager sold me an enhanced coverage option (Ultimate Wrap) from FCPP (First Canadian Protection Plan.) Before signing the Time of Sale Plan including this extended top of the line warranty from FCPP, I inquired more about this warranty. Mr. ***** explicitly stated that this enhanced warranty was a 60 months or 140000 whichever comes first, and is “bumper-to-bumper” warranty. It covers everything, but not regular maintenance items such as tires, brakes, and battery as those are covered under the dealership if the vehicles is maintained at the dealership regularly. He went on to say that this warranty acts as an extension to the manufacturer’s warranty and it would give me a peace of mind. In addition, he assured me that in the event that I do not file any claims, I will be eligible for a full refund once the warranty is expired. Based on his words that this enhanced warranty is “bumper-to-bumper,” and I could get my money back if I do not use the warranty, I agreed to purchase the warranty from FCPP for the amount of $2,170.73 with tax included.

On September 09, 2015 I took my 2012 Chevy Cruze to a GM dealership in Windsor, Ontario due to the A/C blowing warm air. Upon my arrival at the dealership, I informed them that I have a FCPP extended warranty coverage and provided them with a copy of my policy. Later in the day, I received a call from the dealership stating that it was a leak in the condenser system and that they called FCPP at 3:05 pm and were on hold for approximately 45 minutes to talk to the manager there. The dealership was told that the customer (myself) would first have to authorize the removal of the A/C condenser for inspection. Pictures would have to be taken and sent to the manager, in which they would later review them and determine if the condenser is indeed covered by the warranty. If the FCPP determines that the damage was caused by impact or rust, the repairs would not be covered. The manager also advised the dealership that they would not pay for a rental vehicle for the customer (myself) until the part arrives (it takes 4-5 days to order the part.)

This is where it gets absurd, the dealership and I quote: “Now, assuming it was determined that the leaking A/C condenser would be covered by the First Canadian warranty the part could now be ordered and replaced. The customer would still be responsible for the cost of diagnosis and including the first remove/replace prior to the warranty coverage determination. This means that in order to get a picture of the part for them, the whole assembly has to be dismounted and FCPP will not cover the cost of that even if it deemed a mechanical failure.

I ended up paying $60.68 plus tax from my own pocket for the diagnosis without having the issue resolved. It is a complete waste of my time and I advise everyone to stay away from First Canadian Protection Plan. They will make sure that they make it harder for you to file a claim through them. I spoke to them personally on the phone and they were extremely rude, unprofessional, insulting and uncooperative—horrible customer service.

I advise you to do your homework and read the reviews online before signing up for FCPP warranty (First Canadian Protection Plan.) I will not make that mistake ever again, as mentioned by someone online, I would have you rather save $100 a month should some repairs are needed in the future.

This is a scam. If you have issues with them, report to the Better Business Bureau (BBB:) http://www.bbb.org/edmonton/business...725/complaints

schmedlap 09-14-2015 06:40 PM

Good advice

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Elkster (Post 498143)
Good luck in 6 years. I suspect the fine print will dictate something other than a full refund. No company is going to cover people for free. Being that most of these warranty companies are independant from the RV place how are they making money if only those that make a claim have to pay. If something seems too good to be true it usually is.

Put away the money you'd spend on an extended warranty and use that to cover any repairs after the regular warranty period is up. Generally most stuff will go early (appliances, leaks etc) if its going to go and therefore is covered by the standard RV warranty. Take a very close look at what the extended warranty will actually cover and keep in mind you'll have to prove things like wear and tear damage as opposed to faulty equipment. I've known too many people who have paid big money for warranties only to have claims turned down on account of anything under the sun. Once these companies have your money they are in the drivers seat and they know it. Don't like it...sure you can spend 10k in court to TRY to get your 2k back or a 2k claim honored.

One other thing to keep in mind is that warranties rarely cover labor and often times that that cost eclipses the parts costs so an extended warranty at best may only cover a fraction of any repair bills.

Just some thoughts

Not to say this particular outfit is bad, in any way, but ...? READ the paper thoroughly and understand it - if you don't, find someone who does.
Personally, I think most of such things are not good deals for the ordinary buyer/user. Now, if you are going to use "hard" and put a relatively lot of miles on quite quickly, they can be a net value, if the warrantor is still around when you make a claim.

skiwili 09-14-2015 07:19 PM

I am glad I cancelled my rv extended warranty within the first 30 days. The reason I cancelled is that FCPP wants me to have the RV inspected by the RV dealers only every year.

Ddawg 09-14-2015 09:07 PM

I purchased a f.c.p.p. 5 year extended warranty on my RV in 2007, the trailer came with 2 yr manufacturers warranty. We never made a claim, we had two options: A. 100% back on in store purchases at the RV dealer. Or Option B. 60 % cash back, and you must apply with in 30 days after the policy expiries to get it back, if you are late no cash. If I had to do it again, I would pass in the extended warranty and put the money away for repairs.

Radiolad 08-08-2016 05:20 PM

I work at a dealership that sells FCPP and know the plan inside and out. I don't know what the RV place was doing when they said 100% in store or 60% cash back ( unless the RV plans are different from the car and truck but I don't think they are )......this is how it works.....

You get up to 2000 dollars back minus your deductible. If you paid 2500 for the plan and have a 200 dollar deductible then you would get 1800 cash back....period.

I have seen MANY people get their money back for this plan if they don't use it. It's not a bad plan but sometimes you do have to pay for something small that is associated with the larger part that is being covered.

As with anything on the internet, people don't go out of their way to write a glowing report about warranties....you only hear or read about the bad experiences but never hear about the good experiences which I truly believe far outweigh the bad ones.

When was the last time you had a friend or neighbour come up to you and say "my vehicle broke down and the warranty covered it....I am so angry!!"

Bottom line....is the plan perfect....no....is it decent coverage that should help you out of most binds....yes.

Just my 2 cents

Bigbuckwsm 08-08-2016 09:30 PM

I've had good luck with them, 3 camper jacks and they are replacing my slide mechanism, parts and labor for the slide is $3300 and &500 a pop for the 3 jacks. All happy jac products!

canuck2a 08-08-2016 10:49 PM

Be careful with the warranty we had it on our holiday trailer. I thought I would get the whole amount back after warranty was up cause we never had to use the warranty but never did. That was the only reason we went with it was the possibility of getting back, but they have so many loop holes to get out of paying you. Unless buying a motor home I cannot see the benefit of such warranty. Just my 2 cents.

Hiwa 08-09-2016 12:11 AM

I bought a disability plan from that company for $1200 when I bought my Jeep. 3 years later my back screwed up and I couldn't work for 6 months. After a S-ton of paperwork, doctors notes, prescription copies ,etc. and months of waiting and I finally back to work , I got a claim cheque from them 3 weeks later.

The amount was $1200.

I learned my lesson. IF I ever buy from a dealership again ( doubt it) , when it comes to dealing with the finance dept. at the dealer , I will refuse every single option they offer me other than my regular payments for the vehicle if I can't pay in full , and even then I would probably be better getting the money elsewhere.