Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fly-Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Who knows some lakes for fly fishing pike in the calgary area within 1.5 hours drive. (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=343358)

hard*core*hunter 04-18-2018 11:13 PM

Who knows some lakes for fly fishing pike in the calgary area within 1.5 hours drive.

Looking for some lakes that will be good to drop a boat in to fly fish pike. I’m looking for a 1.5 hour drive at most really from Calgary. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

scel 04-19-2018 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hard*core*hunter (Post 3773131)
Looking for some lakes that will be good to drop a boat in to fly fish pike. I’m looking for a 1.5 hour drive at most really from Calgary. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Any one of the reservoirs will hold pike in good numbers. Crawling Valley, McGregor, and Travers are good pike lakes.

To the north, there is Sylvan and Gull, but they will be pushing your 1.5 hour limit.

32-40win 04-19-2018 02:31 AM

Take you 1-1/2hrs to get to almost any lake from Calgary, don't set that as a maximum, set it as the minimum. Only ones under that are Eagle and Langdon reservoir. 2 hrs will get you to more places, Burntstick up by Caroline, up around Red Deer and a bit east, over towards Brooks, and the area between it and Vulcan, such as CVR, Newell, Badger and Mcgregor and Travers.
Couple more east and west of Stavely, can't say much about them, never tried either.

calgarygringo 04-19-2018 06:29 AM

Closest with a boat CVR, Macgregor Twin Valley, Clear, all an hour and a bit from Calgary and lots of pike. If you can go 2 hours many other options north and east.

hard*core*hunter 04-19-2018 06:46 AM

Ok great thanks. Do you think the ice is off enough to get a boat in the water.... on most of these lakes...?

eagleflyfisher 04-19-2018 08:02 AM

I don't think there is any water open any where right now, it's pretty much still winter conditions.
Most lakes are closed right now but confirm that by checking your regulations.
A good way to plan a trip is simply doing some research of your own. Alberta fishing guide works, google earth is amazing . I've located lakes that are not listed in the guide , they don't always pan out but it's all part of the adventure.

damaltor 04-19-2018 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hard*core*hunter (Post 3773177)
Ok great thanks. Do you think the ice is off enough to get a boat in the water.... on most of these lakes...?

:snapoutofit:

calgarygringo 04-19-2018 09:57 AM

Most are closed right now and probably still have 2 feet of ice if they were open. The first open water is usually down Lethbridge way. Check the regs as there are several open all year spots we usually fish while everyone waits for opening day. You will need a smaller boat as most have no official launches but lots of pike to be had in early season.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

millsboy79 04-19-2018 10:14 AM

Are you just wanting to catch pike on the fly or are you hoping for a trophy?

You can always catch smaller ones in chestermere, dalemead, and eagle.

There is also Clear and twin.

graybeard 04-21-2018 09:11 AM

Sorry, misread post...

hard*core*hunter 04-23-2018 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by millsboy79 (Post 3773298)
Are you just wanting to catch pike on the fly or are you hoping for a trophy?

You can always catch smaller ones in chestermere, dalemead, and eagle.

There is also Clear and twin.

Ya was wanting to try it out while the bow is cloudy....

calgarygringo 04-23-2018 08:52 PM

Better check the regs first most of those won't be open for a while yet.

Jetboatjimi 04-24-2018 06:46 PM

Check the regs..
In the not too distant past..
Badger Lake, by Lomond holds Monster Pike..
My best was 46" to the boat..
Lost larger ones..
Watch your Ass .. The Wind can Kill You !
Awesome Fishery..

calgarygringo 04-26-2018 09:16 PM

Unfortunately he is looking for closer.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jetboatjimi (Post 3775915)
Check the regs..
In the not too distant past..
Badger Lake, by Lomond holds Monster Pike..
My best was 46" to the boat..
Lost larger ones..
Watch your Ass .. The Wind can Kill You !
Awesome Fishery..