Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Guns & Ammo Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Remington Mohawk 600 info (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=22068)

Ruger4 11-03-2008 09:41 AM

Remington Mohawk 600 info

Hi Guys

Have come across a Remingtion Mohawk 600 in .222 which is now in my name. I have heard of them before but dont know alot about them, their popularity , the good the bad the ugly on this make and model. Any comments are welcome if any info available on them.

PS , scoped with a fixed 10 power and shoots a consistant group out to 200 yards. Reloading 50 grain Horns w/ 20.5 4198

Thanx
Rob

Ricktye 11-03-2008 04:55 PM

I have one in a .243. Fun little gun! There was a safety recall many years ago on them (all serial numbers) there is/was a possibility of them firing when you close the bolt, even with your finger off of the trigger. Make sure the recall/repair was done before you take it out for use. I almost accidently shot my poor old dad with mine before the recall, and I wasn't aware of the problem. You can likely call Remington to see if your serial number has been repaired. It is not safe unless it was/is repaired!

R...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruger4 (Post 207010)
Hi Guys

Have come across a Remingtion Mohawk 600 in .222 which is now in my name. I have heard of them before but dont know alot about them, their popularity , the good the bad the ugly on this make and model. Any comments are welcome if any info available on them.

PS , scoped with a fixed 10 power and shoots a consistant group out to 200 yards. Reloading 50 grain Horns w/ 20.5 4198

Thanx
Rob

raised by wolves 11-03-2008 04:58 PM

Economy model or less expensive rifle in its day. They usually appear on a buy/sell with a ridiculous asking price. A good gun, but by no means valuable or a collector.

Grizzly Adams 11-03-2008 07:51 PM

The first version, I ever saw, had a laminated stock, with a plastic ventilated rib and was chambered in .350 Rem. mag, which was introduced, with that model. That was when Barry and Otto were still alive and had Barotto sports in downtown Calgary.:D I was told it was very popular for polar bear protection, in northern oil camps. After that, Remington cheapefied the gun and made it in a couple of reg. calibers. I have one in .308 . Nice gun, but I often wonder about that plastic trigger guard. Brownells sells a replacement metal version, but it ain't cheap.
Grizz

.257Weatherby 11-04-2008 09:00 AM

Mohawk

Quote:

Originally Posted by raised by wolves (Post 207225)
Economy model or less expensive rifle in its day. They usually appear on a buy/sell with a ridiculous asking price. A good gun, but by no means valuable or a collector.

As they say " beauty is in the eye of the beholder" or "one mans junk is another mans treasure" they do tend to cause a stir from time to time.
It depends on what calibre it is in and condition of course.
Keep it shoot and enjoy it. Of course find out about recall first:)
And if someone offers you stupid money for it...... well you know what to do do.
Tight Groups:
Rob