Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Summer Perch techniques (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=184438)

#1younggun 07-10-2013 11:33 AM

Summer Perch techniques

love fishing for perch in the winter but never had much success in the summer. Just wondering if anybody would be willing to share what they use for summer perch rigs and where you can find them?

huntsfurfish 07-10-2013 11:39 AM

In and around weeds. Small jigs or slip bobbers. small piece of worm or small leeches or small minnows(dead).

BuckHunterBowen 07-10-2013 12:40 PM

The other day at moose lake we caught them trolling in 14ft of water with blades

fish gunner 07-10-2013 12:42 PM

Small mepps black fury with the fly trailer hook with an 1"chunk of worm and a split shot 1'above, sized for depth. Slow and try to stay abt 6"-1' off bottom.
Tight linez #1.

pickrel pat 07-10-2013 02:58 PM

If you want humpys go deeper than you would think.... Deep deep.

chriscosta 07-10-2013 04:41 PM

a tiny jig and fish like you would for walleye try close to beaver dams but all the other advice is solid as well

Who Da Fisherman 07-10-2013 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pickrel pat (Post 2034679)
If you want humpys go deeper than you would think.... Deep deep.

Certain lakes I would agree, now some other lakes shallower the better.
Find the points go to the sides and work the flats, weed edges and then from 3' out to 30'. It may may take awhile but you should find them, small fikas jigs loaded with maggots 2"-12" off the bottom. Good luck and tight lines.
WDF

pikeslayer22 07-10-2013 11:01 PM

Camera works miracles for finding them!

Alberta Bigbore 07-11-2013 12:14 AM

Slip bobbers, jig and worm are a favorite of mine for summer perch.

Kokanee9 07-11-2013 07:08 AM

Small piece of pork rind also works well. Either on bare hook or jig head.

Last year at this time was finding nice ones at 20-25ft mark.

pickrel pat 07-11-2013 08:28 AM

I like to use perch eyes.... Not sure if its better bait but they sure stay on the hook good. Dont have to rebait much. A single eye is good for 10 or 20 perch before you need to rebait.

#1younggun 07-11-2013 10:28 AM

Thanks for all the responses guy. I really appreciate it, gonna try and get into some this weekend and looking forward to trying some new tactics!

curtis_rak 07-11-2013 02:52 PM

I've been having a helluva time lately finding perch. The one particular lake I've been spending time on has a max depth of about 17' and not much for structure, just a gradually sloped "bowl"... I know they are there but finding them has been a challenge. And with the lake being so shallow, the field-of-view on my sonar is limited so that doesn't help me a whole lot.

I might try my camera next like pikeslayer22 said...

buckbrushoutdoors 07-11-2013 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by curtis_rak (Post 2035939)
I've been having a helluva time lately finding perch. The one particular lake I've been spending time on has a max depth of about 17' and not much for structure, just a gradually sloped "bowl"... I know they are there but finding them has been a challenge. And with the lake being so shallow, the field-of-view on my sonar is limited so that doesn't help me a whole lot.

I might try my camera next like pikeslayer22 said...

sounds like my lake, And i find them in the lilly pads

curtis_rak 07-11-2013 03:16 PM

Definitely have some lily pads at this place... will try it out. The pads are in about 5' of water

Vega21 07-11-2013 06:53 PM

Shrimp my friend use shrimp on a single hook.

jaystev 07-11-2013 08:44 PM

Ive found the perch hang out right up against the weed beds. If you can find a weed bed with a drop off on its edge wire worms, small jigs, or if bait is allowed mealworm under a bobber. Using a bobber I usually will put a couple hooks on, one around four feet up from the other. Vary your depth untill you find em. A trick I learned from an oldtimer, a big willow leaf rig usually used for trout with a heavy weight on it. Put it on a extra rod and every once in awhile thump the bottom along the weeds and stir things up a little. It usually brings out the bigger ones to investigate. If youre having problems with a pike hanging out catch him and release him into the weed bank thatll scare em out. O and If you arent seeing them within 10 minutes move on to the next likely spot.

chriscosta 07-11-2013 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaystev (Post 2036410)
Ive found the perch hang out right up against the weed beds. If you can find a weed bed with a drop off on its edge wire worms, small jigs, or if bait is allowed mealworm under a bobber. Using a bobber I usually will put a couple hooks on, one around four feet up from the other. Vary your depth untill you find em. A trick I learned from an oldtimer, a big willow leaf rig usually used for trout with a heavy weight on it. Put it on a extra rod and every once in awhile thump the bottom along the weeds and stir things up a little. It usually brings out the bigger ones to investigate. If youre having problems with a pike hanging out catch him and release him into the weed bank thatll scare em out. O and If you arent seeing them within 10 minutes move on to the next likely spot.

excellent advice right here