Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fly-Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Southern Alberta Rivers (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=331216)

Hookeye 10-11-2017 03:45 PM

Southern Alberta Rivers

Hi. New to the forum. I fish the BC interior every year from ice off until things get too warm. This year I went to visit family in Lethbridge and checked out the Highwood and the Crowsnest and didn't fish them but I'm interested in them. I was fortunate to meet a few guys on the Highwood and they shared some patterns with me in exchange for a few of my lake flies. I also picked up the Trout Highway book and I'm now stoked! Is early July usually good timing for the area? Also what do I need to tie? PM me if you'd like to share and I'll trade you for some info on the lakes I fish. Thanks!

Fenix_84 10-11-2017 04:05 PM

July is a great time, possibly the best time. The book you picked up also lists flies that will produce, looks like you already have everything you need.
adams, caddis, drakes, stimulators, ants will work, everyone has their favorites.

Hookeye 10-11-2017 06:37 PM

I kind of get the impression after reading Barry Mitchell's book that your fishery is mostly top water. I lived in the Cariboo and there the only dry you needed was a Tom Thumb. Caddis larvae and stonefly nymphs worked wonders on the Quesnel, Horsefly, Cariboo, Blackwater and Chilcotin. We never worried about hatch matching other than if you saw a few mayflies you would stick on a Tom Thumb and trout would be on it like red on a radish. A few baitfish patterns, a muddler and when the salmon are spawning an egg pattern would fill your day with fun. I likely have much to learn but I'm up to the challenge. I got some tying to do. Hopefully moths haven't eaten my best dryfly cape as it doesn't see much use.

jgib01 10-12-2017 09:18 AM

Perhaps more fair to say that folks prefer dries on the east slopes during the summer, versus subsurface not being productive. Who on earth would want to fish nymphs during a rise??! (For reference, I am an admitted dry fly addict these days, so it pained me on the cool weekend past to fish nymphs and streamers all day)

In early July caddis should be productive; perhaps a good idea to have some pmd's and stimulators too. Check out hatch charts for some general ideas... there's lots of them online, like this one here: http://bowcrow.tripod.com/flyfishing/id8.html Beginning of July can be pretty variable depending on ambient temps and when the runoff has hit, so probably a good idea to check out reports closer to the date. For example, Country Pleasures and Crowsnest Angler both have decent reports on their websites that are updated frequently that time of year.

Flieguy 10-12-2017 12:37 PM

the highwood and crow are two of the busiest rivers in Alberta, but they hold lots of fish. A good dry fly day on either river is awesome

mikeym 10-12-2017 04:26 PM

early July can be hit or miss on the eastern slopes depending on the winter snowpack. usually the rivers are pretty hi to blown out that time of year if the snowpack is deep and its been a rainy start. late july is usually when the rivers are starting to come down so that they are least safe to wade acroos and starting to clear up. i like hitting them in the fall when they are a lot lower and clear.

rgds
Mike

jgib01 10-13-2017 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeym (Post 3642384)
early July can be hit or miss on the eastern slopes depending on the winter snowpack. usually the rivers are pretty hi to blown out that time of year if the snowpack is deep and its been a rainy start. late july is usually when the rivers are starting to come down so that they are least safe to wade acroos and starting to clear up. i like hitting them in the fall when they are a lot lower and clear.

rgds
Mike

Yup, like I said, lots of variability from year to year. I think this year the best fishing (on the waters I hit anyway) was late June & early July, and then again in September til early Oct. Last year, there was no runoff to speak of, and June was decent. I wasn't fishing then, but a buddy informs me that in '95 they weren't fishing until mid August.

Hookeye 10-13-2017 09:24 PM

Thanks everyone. I'll continue researching and planning. Found a book today at the local Rotary Club book sale called Fishing the Canadian Rockies by a fellow named Ambrosi which looks like a great resource.
Thanks again.

ÜberFly 10-13-2017 09:41 PM

Great find!! 👍👍

Which edition?!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hookeye (Post 3643311)
Thanks everyone. I'll continue researching and planning. Found a book today at the local Rotary Club book sale called Fishing the Canadian Rockies by a fellow named Ambrosi which looks like a great resource.
Thanks again.

Hookeye 10-14-2017 02:13 PM

The 2001 edition. Not the Fly Fishing the Canadian Rockies edition. Went back there this morning and got a second copy of Barry Mitchell's book as well. Found it in a box of travel related books when it should have been in fishing.