Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Almost run over by riverboat (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=150671)

ksmitty 09-30-2012 09:58 PM

Almost run over by riverboat

I'm sure I am not the only guy that has had a river boat race by at full throttle 8 feet away. I almost went down when the wake hit. Is there any thing we can do to rid the rivers of these losers? Aside from the erosion and habitat degradation I can't imagine what could have happened if one of my kids was there. :argue2:

Rick. 09-30-2012 10:05 PM

At eight feet you should be able to get a good description and report them to the RCMP. No excuse for that behavior. At eight feet you would, IMO, be justified in stoning the idiot. Rick.

BlackHeart 09-30-2012 10:34 PM

What were you in...a float tube???...that you almost capsized?
And what river were you in and your position within that river?

boonerkiller 09-30-2012 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ksmitty (Post 1628537)
I'm sure I am not the only guy that has had a river boat race by at full throttle 8 feet away. I almost went down when the wake hit. Is there any thing we can do to rid the rivers of these losers? Aside from the erosion and habitat degradation I can't imagine what could have happened if one of my kids was there. :argue2:

Really.......I can't imagine

Geezle 09-30-2012 10:50 PM

*sigh* here we go again...:party0051:

BlackHeart 09-30-2012 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geezle (Post 1628603)
*sigh* here we go again...:party0051:

Yep! Canoeist = puritist.....or should I say puritanism.

ksmitty 09-30-2012 11:02 PM

No standing in the red deer river about waist deep fishing a log jam. The channel is fairly narrow at 20 feet or so. The boater could have cut power but went by full bore. The wake hit me mid chest. Unfortunately all I know is the boat is green and silver. I am not trying to stir up a "kill the jet boaters" post but I was wondering if any groups were lobbying to tighten the restrictions of use in rivers of this size.

Gust 09-30-2012 11:07 PM

Rules of a waterway are more stringent that the rules of the road,,, you also were in the right and you should have reported the boater no different than you would report a reckless driver on a roadway.
I
Waterways are not no-mans land for activity as some think when out there.

BeeGuy 09-30-2012 11:46 PM

I would still make a report.

Boater was probably DUI

BlackHeart 10-01-2012 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ksmitty (Post 1628610)
No standing in the red deer river about waist deep fishing a log jam. The channel is fairly narrow at 20 feet or so. The boater could have cut power but went by full bore. The wake hit me mid chest. Unfortunately all I know is the boat is green and silver. I am not trying to stir up a "kill the jet boaters" post but I was wondering if any groups were lobbying to tighten the restrictions of use in rivers of this size.

Well you are stirring it up.

So let get this straight.....channel is 20ft there....that would put middle of river 10 ft from each side. Now let's add in that you chest deep into the river. That chews up how much from one side??? Let say its pretty steep there, which would make it hard to even stand....45degrees....that you out from shore probably 4 ft give or take. Beam of a jet boat can be from 7 to 9 ft average.

Are you with still??? So let's say 8ft beam. Youve taken 4 of 20 leaving 16 a available. Now consider that beam has to have its space. So if the guy pits the boat to the waters edge that leave 8ft max space. Which is what you say he gave. So other than put it on shore, there was no more room possible for him to give you.

I call BS.

Gust 10-01-2012 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackHeart (Post 1628654)
Well you are stirring it up.

So let get this straight.....channel is 20ft there....that would put middle of river 10 ft from each side. Now let's add in that you chest deep into the river. That chews up how much from one side??? Let say its pretty steep there, which would make it hard to even stand....45degrees....that you out from shore probably 4 ft give or take. Beam of a jet boat can be from 7 to 9 ft average.

Are you with still??? So let's say 8ft beam. Youve taken 4 of 20 leaving 16 a available. Now consider that beam has to have its space. So if the guy pits the boat to the waters edge that leave 8ft max space. Which is what you say he gave. So other than put it on shore, there was no more room possible for him to give you.

I call BS.

He could of slowed down so as not to damage structures or cause harm.

You follow????
Capiche???????
Comprende?????????

BeeGuy 10-01-2012 12:11 AM

yup, typical conservative boater entitlement

stay safe out there kids

BlackHeart 10-01-2012 12:12 AM

And a few more things to consider.....at step a jet boat has control ....with power off it's much less.....on a narrow river with bends ..... for me to kill the power does a few things 1) limits control 2) creates a bow wake much larger for you to deal with 3) forces me to stay deeper and therefore center of this 20ft river which would put the average jet within 2ft of you.

BlackHeart 10-01-2012 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gust (Post 1628657)

You follow????
Capiche???????
Comprende?????????

I do understand....that you know nothing of jet boats and their handling, their displacement, their depth at step or off strep...and such......... Think about it....the rivers 20ft wide there. Stick to things you know about....

boonerkiller 10-01-2012 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gust (Post 1628657)

You follow????
Capiche???????
Comprende?????????

You are a clown that knows nothing of how a boat handles on/off step or the fact that it draws significantly less water at higher speeds thus a smaller wake at higher speeds.......what damage to structure are you referring to?

Pikey 10-01-2012 12:53 AM

Jet boats are cool, wish I had one.

I have a 40 year old canoe, and I still love it (had the boy on the NSR today in it for the first time).

No dollar signs in my future for a jet boat, so I'll be in my canoe.

For the first time ever we had a brush at the lake this year with a boater not paying attention, and came way to close (saw us with seconds to spare). We were on glass calm water in our life jackets and plain as day. I can take a scare like that solo, but with my kids in the canoe - no.

Being respectful in a forum is one thing, but on the water it means a whole lot more. The message here is to be responsible, whether you're boating, or driving to the lake/river.

jungleboy 10-01-2012 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackHeart (Post 1628672)
I have a better idea!

Gust, BeeGuy, n Kssmitty....come for a ride some day... You bring the beer.....I will even let you drive cause with 3 cases, Im gonna get DUI. Then you can speak about jet boats with an ounce of knowledge.

Butt if you liberals bring light beer...your going to have to say "Justin" before every shot or you go in!

I see a possible connection here to the problem , maybe leave the beer on shore (I think there is some law about that but I could be wrong:rolleye2:)..Oh and I am no liberal commie pinko so don't even go there.

BlackHeart 10-01-2012 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pikey (Post 1628679)
Jet boats are cool, wish I had one.

I have a 40 year old canoe, and I still love it (had the boy on the NSR today in it for the first time).

No dollar signs in my future for a jet boat, so I'll be in my canoe.

For the first time ever we had a brush at the lake this year with a boater not paying attention, and came way to close (saw us with seconds to spare). We were on glass calm water in our life jackets and plain as day. I can take a scare like that solo, but with my kids in the canoe - no.

Being respectful in a forum is one thing, but on the water it means a whole lot more. The message here is to be responsible, whether you're boating, or driving to the lake/river.

I agree! On the lake, I give all others a wide wide berth, whether 40fter or canoe. And appreciate the same courtesy in return. But be an adze and think you have a right to elbow what ever space you like, cause your big or cause your small....welllllll ...your going to be given the same courtesy.

On a river, space is limited....but the holier than thou crowd seems to flourish here with their goochy gear and my space entitlement

And I could never imagine someone from my dads era whining about such trams and discomforts of being outdoors. Makes me wonder who put estrogen in the water supply.

BlackHeart 10-01-2012 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungleboy (Post 1628682)
I see a possible connection here to the problem , maybe leave the beer on shore (I think there is some law about that but I could be wrong:rolleye2:)..Oh and I am no liberal commie pinko so don't even go there.

Beer is for the shore leave.....Whatever that ends up entailing...
And No! I would not call you anything like that.

It wasn't me that caused the red panty brigade to get their knickers in a bunch....so the connection???...missing it.

pickrel pat 10-01-2012 01:16 AM

Blackhearts words ring true when speaking of jet boats.

steve 10-01-2012 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ksmitty (Post 1628610)

Really could have cut power? 2 half throttle so the wake is bigger? Or slowed right down for you, then it would be a thread about how you stood there laughing as the guy was trying to push his boat off the rocks.

Share the river. Like you said you were standing in a 20' run. Why not move to shore when you hear one coming?

KegRiver 10-01-2012 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve (Post 1628703)
Share the river. Like you said you were standing in a 20' run. Why not move to shore when you hear one coming?

Good point. Maybe he couldn't hear it coming, for whatever reason.
But if he had, it would have been the smart thing to do.

Or maybe he didn't have time to get out of the water. In a narrow channel like that, with bends and all, sound might not carry all that well.
Moving when one is chest deep in water is not all that easy, as anyone who has tried it would know.

I wonder though about why a jet boat would be running a river like that.
20 feet is an awfully narrow channel for any power boat.

If indeed the channel is that narrow at that point, it would be a very risky thing to run. Sounds to me like the sense of entitlement might be on the boaters side on this one.

Oh, and by the way folks, name calling can get you a free vacation.
Lets be civil, okay.

Gust 10-01-2012 07:00 AM

Regardless of whether your boat is a jet, a jon, a punt, a diry whatever, there are rules. You dont get special rights because you have a specific vessel.

Oh right, age old waterway laws are liberal nanny state rubbish,, continue being a moron oout there.

catnthehat 10-01-2012 07:07 AM

Here's the deal - No ONE owns the lake or rivers!
The problem however, is that us jet boaters must yelid right of way to small craft .
No sweat, I run a 12' tinner and a canoe as well as a jet.
The probllem with this rule is theblanket statement.
if a boat comes around a corner and discovers a canoe or fosherman in the middle of te creek, at times there is nowhere to go but hit the bank - which I have done , BTW!
Other times , there is not enough time.
AS was mentioned, dropping down off step , there is a risk of bottoming, and also throwing an even larger wake that when on step.

To say that a jet boater "should have doen this " or "should have done that" is pretty hard to lay down at times, simply because the conditions may not have warranted it.
This time of year there is a channel I love to take but do not because I know there are always people fishing the bank, the channel is narrow , and it's far easier for me to go around to get into the Athabasca from the mouth of the Clearwater.
However, I get a bit ticked when people are fishing off the back of my parked boat trailer and will not move so I can beach the boat.
Respect goes both ways, and if one teis to get along htere is usually no problems, however, if a person decides that they own the rivers, well things get ugle.
I for one do not know why some of us power boaters need to continually go by canoes on a lake, or why guys on jjet skis will not give a jet boat timee to get up and out of the way before they start rippig around a posted 12KPH zone!!:thinking-006:
Cat

BeeGuy 10-01-2012 07:29 AM

It is not the responsibility of other recreationalists to operate anyone else's craft in a safe manner.

If you are travelling at speeds or in a manner which makes it impossible to avoid a dangerous situation in a narrow stretch or around the next blind corner, then I hope you have,

1) no conscienece with regards to lives you may ruin

2) insurance

Gust 10-01-2012 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve (Post 1628703)
Really could have cut power? 2 half throttle so the wake is bigger? Or slowed right down for you, then it would be a thread about how you stood there laughing as the guy was trying to push his boat off the rocks.

Because he dosnt have to.

Gust 10-01-2012 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackHeart (Post 1628685)
I agree! On the lake, I give all others a wide wide berth, whether 40fter or canoe. And appreciate the same courtesy in return. But be an adze and think you have a right to elbow what ever space you like, cause your big or cause your small....welllllll ...your going to be given the same courtesy.

On a river, space is limited....but the holier than thou crowd seems to flourish here with their goochy gear and my space entitlement

And I could never imagine someone from my dads era whining about such trams and discomforts of being outdoors. Makes me wonder who put estrogen in the water supply.

The laws are older than your dad.

Gust 10-01-2012 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pickrel pat (Post 1628688)
Blackhearts words ring true when speaking of jet boats.

But not on the law.

Hearing a boat coming does not dictate more rights on a waterway,,, thats like saying a harley with straight pipes always has the right of way.

jungleboy 10-01-2012 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackHeart (Post 1628686)
Beer is for the shore leave.....Whatever that ends up entailing...
And No! I would not call you anything like that.

It wasn't me that caused the red panty brigade to get their knickers in a bunch....so the connection???...missing it.

Re read the thread ... you're right , my bad .I think I was up too late last night.

Shawnlh 10-01-2012 08:05 AM

Regardless of all the banter. If someone were to blast by me at that close of a distance, I would have beaned him with a rock, and would have been ready to throw down on the shore.
I would be instantly enraged.

But that's just me :argue2: