Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Poacher!! (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=348687)

wildbill 07-29-2018 02:53 PM

Poacher!!

So anyway was fly fishin fer walleye on the section of the river between the 509 and cottonwood campground today, and low and behold this guy comes a Rollin down the hill with a huge tackle box and says do mind if I fish upstream, “I says sure whatever man” he’s usin an ultra light with a jig, it almost looked like a minnow (no bait allowed in that stretch) then he catches an eye, I says “what are you usin?” (It seemed he was bein elusive) he says “salted minnows” blew a cog, we’re talkin plant upset here, tunnel vision kill mode, stay calm, count to ten, shaking with anger, long story short i reemed this guy out for a good ten minutes straight can’t even think I’m so ticked off, “oh I let the fish go” wasn’t the answer I was lookin fer, I leave, can’t think straight, take a picture of his license plate, call the hotline, give the nice lady the info, next call from constable so and so, he says “he is actually indeed fishing lawfully” I’m floored, I says “the section between the 509 and Cottonwood has got a bait ban” he says “I’ve had several complaints about the same stretch this morning” I says “the 509 is at Kipp hey?” He says “I’ll look at a map and call you back.”
Ten minutes later he calls and said “you were right” and asked for buddies info, goes to show, the squeaky wheel gets the grease!
And sometimes the learners need learnins!

Positrac 07-29-2018 03:46 PM

Good job. Now go have a Snickers...

MooseRiverTrapper 07-29-2018 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildbill (Post 3818950)
So anyway was fly fishin fer walleye on the section of the river between the 509 and cottonwood campground today, and low and behold this guy comes a Rollin down the hill with a huge tackle box and says do mind if I fish upstream, “I says sure whatever man” he’s usin an ultra light with a jig, it almost looked like a minnow (no bait allowed in that stretch) then he catches an eye, I says “what are you usin?” (It seemed he was bein elusive) he says “salted minnows” blew a cog, we’re talkin plant upset here, tunnel vision kill mode, stay calm, count to ten, shaking with anger, long story short i reemed this guy out for a good ten minutes straight can’t even think I’m so ticked off, “oh I let the fish go” wasn’t the answer I was lookin fer, I leave, can’t think straight, take a picture of his license plate, call the hotline, give the nice lady the info, next call from constable so and so, he says “he is actually indeed fishing lawfully” I’m floored, I says “the section between the 509 and Cottonwood has got a bait ban” he says “I’ve had several complaints about the same stretch this morning” I says “the 509 is at Kipp hey?” He says “I’ll look at a map and call you back.”
Ten minutes later he calls and said “you were right” and asked for buddies info, goes to show, the squeaky wheel gets the grease!

Wow I’d hate to see how you deal with a real issue.

Zip 07-29-2018 05:22 PM

Yup..quite the story, but you got your roll in this story a bit wrong. Your roll was to call it in if you felt that need, but to go off on the guy for 10 minutes...well that was wrong, that was up to the guys you called to do! You had no idea what this individuals reaction was going to be towards you..stay safe out there, there's bears as well as bad humans...
Zip:)

Chewbacca 07-29-2018 06:18 PM

Sounds like you listened to one many episodes of the Champ. Only thing missing was a flurry to the solar plexus. :)

https://youtu.be/unVLoVq43XI

Zip 07-29-2018 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chewbacca (Post 3818996)
Sounds like you listened to one many episodes of the Champ. Only thing missing was a flurry to the solar plexus. :)

https://youtu.be/unVLoVq43XI

:)

rem338win 07-29-2018 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zip (Post 3818986)
Yup..quite the story, but you got your roll in this story a bit wrong. Your roll was to call it in if you felt that need, but to go off on the guy for 10 minutes...well that was wrong, that was up to the guys you called to do! You had no idea what this individuals reaction was going to be towards you..stay safe out there, there's bears as well as bad humans...

Sorry, nope.

The police are the public and the public are the police.

Members of society are in the right to correct others when someone is doing wrong. OP said he told him off. He didn't say he waterboarded him in the river.

He didnt confront someone committing armed robbery, he told a guy off for using a salted minnow. Not exactly a precursor to violent crime.

I can't say I'd handle it the same way he did, but it isn't wrong to confront a problem without running to mom or dad first.

Zip 07-29-2018 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rem338win (Post 3819010)
Sorry, nope.

The police are the public and the public are the police.

Members of society are in the right to correct others when someone is doing wrong. OP said he told him off. He didn't say he waterboarded him in the river.

He didnt confront someone committing armed robbery, he told a guy off for using a salted minnow. Not exactly a precursor to violent crime.

I can't say I'd handle it the same way he did, but it isn't wrong to confront a problem without running to mom or dad first.

Well there are a lot of ways to skin a cat, this encounter is a good example, now if going off on a complete stranger for 10 minutes is what a person wants to do...fill your boots, I'm thinking that if that's normal behaviour...the chances of running into a person who will bite back is getting pretty high...like I said it's usually better to stay safe...or just go around yelling at people you don't even know for such a small problem in the real world, I guess that would work as well!

Talking moose 07-29-2018 08:52 PM

“Can’t think straight”.....”can’t even think I’m so ticked off”...I’m just glad you didn’t melt. Lol!!
Ps
Glad he didn’t keep a fish. You’d still be out there digging his grave....haha
Good job on calling it in though.

RZR 07-30-2018 06:01 AM

Outdoorsmen are such pigs, between poaching and leaving garbage all over the place. Was out yesterday and had to clean up empty beer cans and garbage on shoreline, and this stuff wasn’t washed up on shore either. Then people wonder why the government and the tree huggers want everything closed. :angry3:

58thecat 07-30-2018 06:58 AM

Just because a person gets off the couch and goes outside, litters, damages areas, breaks laws does not make them an outdoors person....criminal comes to mind.

To the OP good that you got it called in but tact would go a long way...if the hammerhead was a hot head maybe things could have gone real bad real quick.

ram crazy 07-30-2018 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zip (Post 3819027)
Well there are a lot of ways to skin a cat, this encounter is a good example, now if going off on a complete stranger for 10 minutes is what a person wants to do...fill your boots, I'm thinking that if that's normal behaviour...the chances of running into a person who will bite back is getting pretty high...like I said it's usually better to stay safe...or just go around yelling at people you don't even know for such a small problem in the real world, I guess that would work as well!

Yea. But there are people on this forum who think that’s the norm to confront people who are doing the wrong thing, just ask crazy dave

Zip 07-30-2018 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ram crazy (Post 3819136)
Yea. But there are people on this forum who think that’s the norm to confront people who are doing the wrong thing, just ask crazy dave

Yes I know these people walk amongst us, but to "ream a person out for 10 minutes and so mad can't think straight"....sometime that will back fire on the OP...then things could get crazy, do people not realize yet that the world has changed a bit for the worse..these days you could meet up with a bad person who would not take a 10 minute reaming out very well...that was my only concern, out there by a stream or River may not be the best place to be yelling at a complete stranger...I would have saved my breath and called it in while he was fishing and waited for the right guys to come in and yell at him..much more satisfying to see a guy get caught red handed than possibly taking one or two on your chin!

walleyechaser 07-30-2018 08:37 AM

The amount of people who don't read the regs or don't care blows my mind. Usually the same people who complain that they used to be able to keep so many fish in the good ol days.

Quite a few times we have seen guys throwing walleye under their van (for some reason it's always a van). Called them in and never seen the fish and wildlife guys show up. So did the same as you. One Eastern block individual got really offensive at ridge. His significant other told us we have no right to tell them that they cant keep as many fish as they want. As long as they don't waste it, it is theirs to take. At that point you want to make it clear to them, but who knows if they had a gun with them. They packed up and left after making sure to let us know that we were the criminals for interfering with there evening and dinner plans.

Southern alberta is brutal with poachers

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Sledhead71 07-30-2018 08:49 AM

Quote:

You really need some anger management courses...

stob 07-30-2018 08:57 AM

don't poke the bear

Lowrance Fishburn 07-30-2018 09:01 AM

He says. "Salted minnow"...Well I snappppp, lose it. Head fake him with a set of pliers and the idiot goes for it. Flurry to the solar plexus and a stiff uppercut, he's laying there heaped over his giant tackle box. I've got the CO's on speed dial with the phone to my ear, I says "How's that pal? Is that salted minnows enough for ya?"...Ever since I've been THE CHAMP

That's pretty much what I read.

Scott N 07-30-2018 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lowrance Fishburn (Post 3819164)
He says. "Salted minnow"...Well I snappppp, lose it. Head fake him with a set of pliers and the idiot goes for it. Flurry to the solar plexus and a stiff uppercut, he's laying there heaped over his giant tackle box. I've got the CO's on speed dial with the phone to my ear, I says "How's that pal? Is that salted minnows enough for ya?"...Ever since I've been THE CHAMP

lol

Talking moose 07-30-2018 11:07 AM

Quote:

Bahahahaha!!!! Classic!! Should be your(or wildbill’s) signature line!

Zip 07-30-2018 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Talking moose (Post 3819238)
Bahahahaha!!!! Classic!! Should be your(or wildbill’s) signature line!

Yes... Lol

MooseRiverTrapper 07-30-2018 11:49 AM

Quote:

Lol
Good stuff

58thecat 07-30-2018 12:33 PM

Quote:

Bloody marvellous.:sHa_shakeshout:

Freedom55 07-30-2018 01:41 PM

Seems ironic that the Lundbreck Falls guy got elevated to hero status for similar behaviour while Wild Bill gets an earful.:argue2:

Jigger 07-30-2018 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freedom55 (Post 3819307)
Seems ironic that the Lundbreck Falls guy got elevated to hero status for similar behaviour while Wild Bill gets an earful.:argue2:

"blew a cog, we’re talkin plant upset here, tunnel vision kill mode, stay calm, count to ten, shaking with anger, long story short i reemed this guy out for a good ten minutes straight can’t even think I’m so ticked off"

Is this similar behaviour to the lundbreck guy? Nope not even close, lundbreck guy offered to net the fish then quite calmly confronted the poacher. Have you watched the videos? You consider that "similar behaviour? Or just stirring the pot?

MrDave 07-30-2018 06:12 PM

Quote:

Good thing he isn't in Florida, be shot and done.

I know more than a few truly dangerous nuts who go fishing, think first.

EZM 07-30-2018 10:33 PM

Reminds me of Danger Katz ........

pikeman06 07-30-2018 11:01 PM

...and all they found was a jar of salted minnows and a torso.

wildbill 07-31-2018 12:29 AM

And by the way, if the co had actually had actually known that section of river was actually closed and hadn’t been telling people all morning that you were allowed to use bait in that section of river and didn’t have to look at a map for 20 minutes, he more than likely would have caught the guy, I did get the plate make and model of his vehicle. And no I won’t be door mat and stand idle and say nothing, I pick up garbage every time I go out, I believe the land should be respected, if everyone one was coward and relied on co’s who don’t even know the regs themselves, there would be absolutely no deterrent. I guarantee this guy will think twice before he goes poaching again.

Positrac 07-31-2018 04:36 AM

Quote:

...he says “salted minnows” blew a cog, we’re talkin plant upset here, tunnel vision kill mode, stay calm, count to ten, shaking with anger, long story short i reemed this guy out for a good ten minutes straight can’t even think I’m so ticked off...

You really need to take a pill and calm the hell down...

Your reaction was so over the top I’m pretty sure buddy with the salted minnows just thinks you’re a bit “off” and any opportunity you had to actually get through to him was lost...

Too bad, it was a good opportunity to explain to him the legalities of that section of river. It sounds like there is some confusion by more than just him as to what can be used there.

Zip 07-31-2018 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildbill (Post 3819533)
And by the way, if the co had actually had actually known that section of river was actually closed and hadn’t been telling people all morning that you were allowed to use bait in that section of river and didn’t have to look at a map for 20 minutes, he more than likely would have caught the guy, I did get the plate make and model of his vehicle. And no I won’t be door mat and stand idle and say nothing, I pick up garbage every time I go out, I believe the land should be respected, if everyone one was coward and relied on co’s who don’t even know the regs themselves, there would be absolutely no deterrent. I guarantee this guy will think twice before he goes poaching again.

Wildbill...I would like to say that I bet a lot of people who frequent this forum pick up any garbage they find, and have respect for the land, I know whenever I'm out golfing if I see garbage or cans or whatever..the wife or I pick it up and put it where it belongs.. We also do that when out walking or hiking,or hunting..that I can guarantee you! And now that I'm talking about "guarantees"...your guarantee of that guy thinking twice before he goes poaching again..that's a hollow guarantee...good luck with that and your magical powers of persuasion...your people skills lack a bit of skill!!