Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Drilled one hole and lost the auger! (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=120912)

N8orDie 02-05-2012 09:23 PM

Drilled one hole and lost the auger!

Just a funny story:

Was at chain lakes two weeks ago. My buddy's auger was missing the pin that secures the handle to the actual auger. I figured I'd just jam my needle nose pliers in the hole instead of walking all the way back to the car to look for a pin we weren't even sure was there. This solution actually worked pretty well until the auger punched through the first hole. The pliers slipped out of the hole and before I could realized what was happening, I watched the end of the auger disappear under the ice. Felt pretty stupid. Luckily, some folks near us let us use their auger and we were all able to fish.

harrydude 02-05-2012 09:31 PM

How deal were you and did you gps it?

wolfman403 02-05-2012 09:34 PM

Welded mine together and forever solved that problem:sHa_shakeshout:

WayneChristie 02-05-2012 09:39 PM

my jiffy had a pin with a cheap plastic strap, tore most of the way though the first month, so I got a spring clip from work, works great and it comes apart in less than a second. a bolt would work too. pliers eh? :bad_boys_20::bad_boys_20:

huntin 02-05-2012 09:43 PM

I have heard 2 stories of people fishing out the augers this winter with success.

perchie15 02-05-2012 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WayneChristie (Post 1290301)
my jiffy had a pin with a cheap plastic strap, tore most of the way though the first month, so I got a spring clip from work, works great and it comes apart in less than a second. a bolt would work too. pliers eh? :bad_boys_20::bad_boys_20:

mhmm yea i hear ya i have the same thing.. maybe i should put one on to before something like that does happen to me...:mad3:

HunterDave 02-05-2012 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huntin (Post 1290305)
I have heard 2 stories of people fishing out the augers this winter with success.

How'd they manage to fish it out..........with a fish tv, rope and a lasoo/hook?

Gust 02-05-2012 10:07 PM

go buy some crappy radio shack speakers from the 70's at a flea market,,, pull the magnet off the whoofer and it'll get your auger close enough to reach with your hand and feed it back up a hole

HunterDave 02-05-2012 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GustavMahler (Post 1290350)
go buy some crappy radio shack speakers from the 70's at a flea market,,, pull the magnet off the whoofer and it'll get your auger close enough to reach with your hand and feed it back up a hole

Great idea Gus......Thanks! I'm going to keep one in the truck toolbox and it can gather up all of the nails, screws, drill bits, etc until I ever need it.

grind stone 02-05-2012 11:52 PM

Quote:

N8orDie Drilled one hole and lost the auger!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just a funny story:

Was at chain lakes two weeks ago. My buddy's auger was missing the pin that secures the handle to the actual auger. I figured I'd just jam my needle nose pliers in the hole instead of walking all the way back to the car to look for a pin we weren't even sure was there. This solution actually worked pretty well until the auger punched through the first hole. The pliers slipped out of the hole and before I could realized what was happening, I watched the end of the auger disappear under the ice. Felt pretty stupid. Luckily, some folks near us let us use their auger and we were all able to fish.
:sEm_oops2::lol::lol: ahh whats a person to do.

Jimboy 02-06-2012 12:54 AM

Princess auto has large magnets for not much money

Rovin 02-06-2012 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N8orDie (Post 1290259)
Just a funny story:

You do know people read these posts, right?

Kokanee9 02-06-2012 02:35 AM

1 of those welding magnets from princess auto would work well.

Now if only you had an auger to drill another hole to fish it out.....

Kim473 02-06-2012 05:06 AM

Just a reminder. check your bolts on your power augers. I check mine often and have found more than once that the bolt has started to back off. Guess its just the vibration.

harrydude 02-06-2012 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kim473 (Post 1290487)
Just a reminder. check your bolts on your power augers. I check mine often and have found more than once that the bolt has started to back off. Guess its just the vibration.

That is why you use a new nylock nut

Kim473 02-06-2012 06:54 AM

Mine threads into the shaft. No nut. Lock tight and check often.

huntin 02-06-2012 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HunterDave (Post 1290342)
How'd they manage to fish it out..........with a fish tv, rope and a lasoo/hook?

not sure how one of them did it but the other was on saturday the auger was sticking straight up they managed to tie a couple weights to a line and get them into the top of the auger. Then they tied a heavy leader on some 30lb test looped it back to its self using the first line as a guide they got the leader around the neck choked it and pulled it back up the hole. A little bit of clever thinking i'd say

HunterDave 02-06-2012 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimboy (Post 1290470)
Princess auto has large magnets for not much money

I'll have to pick one up......$9......cheap like borscht:

http://www.princessauto.com/pal/prod...Welding-Magnet

Kokanee9 02-06-2012 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HunterDave (Post 1290722)
I'll have to pick one up......$9......cheap like borscht:

http://www.princessauto.com/pal/prod...Welding-Magnet

For the size, strength, and price, they are probably your best bet.

Even on open water in the boat, they may come in handy.

dwedmon 02-06-2012 12:08 PM

Princess Auto also sells rare earth magnets that are about the size of a quater and are amazingly strong. A small magnet might be earier to get onto the auger and should be strong enough to bring up a hand auger.

walking buffalo 02-06-2012 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GustavMahler (Post 1290350)

This was my thought before I read your post.

These magnets are stronger than the welding magnets. And are FREE!

When I see a dead speaker in the alley, the magnets come home with me.

N8orDie 02-06-2012 05:03 PM

Didn't want to walk back to the car, let alone go to a hardware or speaker store!

Kevin_Thunder 02-06-2012 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N8orDie (Post 1291103)
Didn't want to walk back to the car, let alone go to a hardware or speaker store!

Lol. You can't be bothered to drive and walk a bit to save your auger? You must have quite a lot of disposable income... But if you did, you'd have a power auger. So Laziness it is! ;)
How do you muster up the energy to wake up in the morning? Regular life must be tough for you :happy0034:

harrydude 02-06-2012 06:22 PM

Now u got no choice but to go buy something ...lololol

HunterDave 02-06-2012 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N8orDie (Post 1290259)
I figured I'd just jam my needle nose pliers in the hole instead of walking all the way back to the car to look for a pin we weren't even sure was there.

You know what's even funnier N8? Your logic makes PERFECT sense to me and it's something that I'd likely do too. :lol: That's why I was so interested in knowing how someone would go about recovering the auger. Thanks for the laugh!

double gun 02-07-2012 09:22 AM

Lee Valley sells a magnet that can lift 150 pounds. Under possible uses it mentions lifting outboards from lake bottoms.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/hardware...363,42356&ap=2

EZM 02-07-2012 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin_Thunder (Post 1291188)
Lol. You can't be bothered to drive and walk a bit to save your auger? You must have quite a lot of disposable income... But if you did, you'd have a power auger. So Laziness it is! ;)
How do you muster up the energy to wake up in the morning? Regular life must be tough for you :happy0034:

What was the point in making that comment? not cool.

HunterDave 02-07-2012 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by double gun (Post 1291896)
Lee Valley sells a magnet that can lift 150 pounds. Under possible uses it mentions lifting outboards from lake bottoms.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/hardware...363,42356&ap=2

YUUUUUUPPPPPP! Now that's what I'm talking about! A man's magnet.......who, who, who! I'm gettin' one! :)

YeeHaw 02-07-2012 03:22 PM

Had that happen to me a few years ago on Wabamun, thank god I had the Husqvarna with a 24" bar, and some rope. Lugnuts worked great for weight, and 5ft of water helped alot as well.

Kevin_Thunder 02-07-2012 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EZM (Post 1292214)
What was the point in making that comment? not cool.

Hahaha, did you read what the OP said? Everyone was giving out good ideas on how to retrieve his auger, and he brushed it off by declaring that if he didn't want to walk to the truck to find a pin, why would he go to a hardware or speaker store?

He was obviously just posting a funny post, with no real intent on giving away good info, or taking any, so I decided to jab at him. The jab was not directed at anyone else who were giving away good advice, no hard feelings friend, its just a public internet forum. ;)