Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Archery Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   99% Let off Bow (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=50172)

Booner Sniper 01-16-2010 06:53 PM

99% Let off Bow

Heard from a guy I know that is a 99% let off bow on the market and he has ordered one. I had to come home and get on the net to check this out as I thought he had his #s mixed, but there really is a company called Concept Archery out of the US that has produced a bow with a 99% let off. This might really be something of interest for some guys, but for me not so much. Thought I would let you guys know about it anyway.

here is the link
http://conceptarchery.com/bows_home.html

Rockymtnx 01-18-2010 12:17 AM

Thanks for the link. I had never heard of such a thing either.
Maybe I'm blind but did you see any mention of how their bows achieve 99% let off?

Bassett 01-30-2010 03:47 PM

Owner of SPAL, he told me of it. Pretty neat.

Overdrawn 01-30-2010 04:32 PM

I wonder what they shoot like. and 99% let off, I wonder how smooth the drop off point is? I would be very interesting to see. does any one sell them in alberta?

nicholal 01-30-2010 05:50 PM

I heard from a guy that is a pro staf for them his name is "tink"from tinks deer sense that it is all god til you come off the wall then look out. All torque.the wall is very small and unforgiving.

AL

catnthehat 01-31-2010 10:01 AM

I thought the P&Y rules limited let -off on a bow to 65% or something like that, yet on the web site for this bow they have the P&Y in their
"Friends of Concept" list?
I can't get my head around this anyway, may as well shoot a cross bow.
Cat

Chet 01-31-2010 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catnthehat (Post 497554)
I thought the P&Y rules limited let -off on a bow to 65% or something like that, yet on the web site for this bow they have the P&Y in their
"Friends of Concept" list?
I can't get my head around this anyway, may as well shoot a cross bow.
Cat

They used to but have since dropped that rule. I believe it was about nine years ago that they made the change.

packhuntr 01-31-2010 10:25 AM

Your kidding Chet. I did not know that. Man, I gotta go townin more often. That seemed like a major rule, and still seems viable to my way of thinking on archery hunting.Thats unfortunate. Guess its time to get with the times and make life simpler and throw the concepts of archery out the window (with regards to my bow hunting).

packhuntr 01-31-2010 10:45 AM

The more I think about this one the crazier it gets?? I thought it was tough doing open country spot and stalk before with 65% let off. If you wanna see some game bite the dust, its gonna happen if I dont have to concern myself with drawing and hold time issues. Time to re-vamp my equipment.

One more thing,,, if this has been a non existent rule for upwards of 9 years, where guys dont have to worry about let off, thus allowing inclusion of P&Y game into the record book by less able bodied folk, and by the marginal folk that didnt want to invest what was required to do so,,,, why are we hearing all this banter about the inclusion of crossbows into archery seasons?????

Chet 01-31-2010 07:35 PM

Personally I am glad they changed the rule. 65% let of vs. 80% let off is not a big deal in my mind. The difference didn't justify the exclusion of many hard earned trophies.

catnthehat 01-31-2010 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chet (Post 497571)
They used to but have since dropped that rule. I believe it was about nine years ago that they made the change.

Crap, I am so not with it!!:lol:
How can you tell I'm not a horn hunter?:D
Cat

packhuntr 01-31-2010 10:13 PM

Not being in the know Chet on this club's policies, Im going to assume that your previously stated 80% is max now. What is this talk of 99% being backed by P&Y? I agree that 15% might not seem like alot of difference, but as bow hunters we know that to be a fair bit. So now with 99% on its way, and being that it is only another just over 15% more let off, is it a very big deal? I think so. How long till this 99% let off is tamed down and very shootable? I understand why P&Y raised the maximum let off... If they didnt, technology and nearly all bow hunters, sans trad guys, were about to leave P&Y in the dust. Conform or slip into obscurity, history. Quite unfortunate, but understandable if the club is to see a future. So at what point does a club or organization lose justification. If thier book is going to be watered down with trophies that can in no way compare to actual archery taken big game (bows, versus unrealistically high let offs and crossbows) , why would any future archer want to have inclusion with his or her harvests? Has P&Y acknowleged this very fast paced demise of what would be considered conventional archery and where the club stands on principal?

Jamie 01-31-2010 11:41 PM

And we see yet another example of why X-Bows and BOWS are kissing cousins.

99%.. What the heck is the difference....

Oh yeah.. I have to DRAW a bow.. LOLOLOL

Jamie

Chet 02-01-2010 08:53 AM

Quote:

Not being in the know Chet on this club's policies, Im going to assume that your previously stated 80% is max now.
No there is no max let-off now. I only used the 80% number as it is a very common let-off for the bows on the market today.

Quote:

If thier book is going to be watered down with trophies that can in no way compare to actual archery taken big game (bows, versus unrealistically high let offs and crossbows) , why would any future archer want to have inclusion with his or her harvests?
I can't see how you can pick a let-off number that defines what is a bow or not. A bow is a bow although there are a lot of advantges of a modern compound over a hand made stick bow.

P&Y does publish a book of trophies only taken with traditional equipment which is kind of neat.

Posted by Jamie:

Quote:

And we see yet another example of why X-Bows and BOWS are kissing cousins.

99%.. What the heck is the difference....

Oh yeah.. I have to DRAW a bow.. LOLOLOL
No doubt they are related but still different. One thing I'm sure you will never see is crossbow harvests accepted in P&Y. It is a weapon specific record book.