Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Rural crime watch (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=348216)

Norwest Alta 07-19-2018 09:36 PM

Rural crime watch

We had a community meeting about starting a rural crime watch this evening. Are any of you members? I'm kinda on the fence about joining due to this "fanout" system. Just wondering if these notifications are aŕea specific or would I get notifications from all across the county.

Battle Rat 07-19-2018 10:27 PM

The community crime watch group I'm a member has a notification system specific to our defined area so that local members have their eyes open for the criminal.
A fan out notification outside of your local area would be useless.
You need to ask your group of how the notifications are handled, not members of this board.

R3illy 07-19-2018 11:50 PM

when it comes down to helping your neighbors your not sure if its worth your time? Let me guess your too busy booby trapping your place trying to catch a thief in your yard.

HalfBreed 07-20-2018 01:14 AM

A Fan Out is simply a list from top to bottom of an organization.

Depending on ones level of expertise, one may be placed on multiple fans.

Think COPS, or Citizens On Patrol.

If one was from Red Deer, then they would not be on the same fan as Hinton.

It's a simple organizational tool to allow said organization to contact those in said group.

Norwest Alta 07-20-2018 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Battle Rat (Post 3814706)
The community crime watch group I'm a member has a notification system specific to our defined area so that local members have their eyes open for the criminal.
A fan out notification outside of your local area would be useless.
You need to ask your group of how the notifications are handled, not members of this board.

We've got a neighbor lady that has started a group for the immediate area. The organizers of rcw put on a presentation about joining their group which I think is a good thing to do but I worry about getting notifications from Grande Prairie all the time, which is 85 kms away. I'm figuring I don't need to know about a kid spinning donuts in the middle of a intersection close to grovedale.

Stubb 07-20-2018 08:47 AM

Join it, it's a good thing. I guarantee you won't get notifications from across the country or from a kid spinning a doughnut if that's really a big concern.

Zip 07-20-2018 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norwest Alta (Post 3814765)
We've got a neighbor lady that has started a group for the immediate area. The organizers of rcw put on a presentation about joining their group which I think is a good thing to do but I worry about getting notifications from Grande Prairie all the time, which is 85 kms away. I'm figuring I don't need to know about a kid spinning donuts in the middle of a intersection close to grovedale.

Whe we were still living south of Peace River, east of Nampa...we were on some style of rural watch program. We had signs placed at our driveway saying we were involved in the program..I got alerts of bad things going on in our area only, and via e-mail..no hassle, they would just give us heads up on suspicious vehicles creeping slowly by farm yards all the way to the all out thefts going on around us...I was happy to receive these as then we were aware of possible trouble...it was all a no hassle thing for us really.
Zip:)

Burrowing Owl 07-22-2018 12:29 PM

We are involved with our local Crime Watch. The one time we were called a pair of idiots stole a bunch of batteries from a nearby gravel pit, and were seen hightailing it on foot in our direction in the middle of the night. (The idiots left their truck with wallets on the dash at the scene of the crime)

With everyone watching out for them it didn't take long to catch up to them. It seems to work. It also works if grass fires are approaching. Think it's a good idea.

Grizzly Adams 07-22-2018 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HalfBreed (Post 3814741)
A Fan Out is simply a list from top to bottom of an organization.

Depending on ones level of expertise, one may be placed on multiple fans.

Think COPS, or Citizens On Patrol.

If one was from Red Deer, then they would not be on the same fan as Hinton.

It's a simple organizational tool to allow said organization to contact those in said group.

Sounds good, but have a buddy on the list and the phone never stops ringing.

Grizz