Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Ion Alpha gen 3 electric ice auger. (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=419737)

-JR- 02-03-2023 10:51 AM

Ion Alpha gen 3 electric ice auger.

I am looking into buying one of these .I sure like that they only weight 18 pounds for the 10 inch model . I got me interested is that it has a reverse switch like the other electric augers ,but does it really work so you don't have to scoop the holes clean . Can any one confirm how good that part works in keeping holes clean ?

TROLLER 02-03-2023 11:10 AM

The only one I have seen that cleans the hole in reverse is the K drill.

My SM will not clean the hole the reverse is me thinks mainly to get you unstuck.

Glas Ó Cairealláin 02-03-2023 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -JR- (Post 4606834)
I am looking into buying one of these .I sure like that they only weight 18 pounds for the 10 inch model . I got me interested is that it has a reverse switch like the other electric augers ,but does it really work so you don't have to scoop the holes clean . Can any one confirm how good that part works in keeping holes clean ?

We just bought one from Dale at sportsman's den. We are very happy with it. Drilled thru ice the thickness of the entire length of the auger in 13 seconds flat. It has the reverse on it but we use use it like our old gas auger. Reverse will help in case it gets stuck for some reason. Like I said, very very happy with it.

Hunter4ever12 02-03-2023 01:49 PM

All of the ions I’ve had have cleaned out all the holes very well,minimal scooping and by that I mean maybe one grazing the surface. I kick all my shavings down the hole in my tent too,so I think they do a damn good job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pikergolf 02-03-2023 03:49 PM

I bought my Alpha on a boxing day sale. I thought nothing could out dig a Jiffy model 30, well this thing kills it. It digs so fast you can't even think about putting pressure on it, goes down to fast. Very happy.

58thecat 02-03-2023 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -JR- (Post 4606834)

My strike-master cleans holes perfect in reverse so can’t see why this model shouldn’t.
Literally everything gets kicked down the hole and I just run it for about 10 seconds and good to go.

-JR- 02-04-2023 07:13 AM

So whats better plastic or steal auger .

AlbertanGP 02-04-2023 07:20 AM

Which would you rather lug around, plastic or steel? And what’s it worth to you to have the lighter one? No point not getting the plastic flite IMO.

-JR- 02-04-2023 07:41 AM

Good to here that ,as that's was the way i was leaning towards, but at the same time i read a review that the steal centre pin cutter stripped out of the plastic female tread holder . Something I don't need to fail if i am out on a lake some where .

TROLLER 02-04-2023 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 58thecat (Post 4606942)
My strike-master cleans holes perfect in reverse so can’t see why this model shouldn’t.
Literally everything gets kicked down the hole and I just run it for about 10 seconds and good to go.

When you say you run for 10 sec is that with the auger still at the bottom of the hole, if I run mine as I am lifting out the entire top is full of ice

ragweed 02-04-2023 03:12 PM

My new strikemaster lite cleans holes out to 98% in reverse. I love it. Best overall purchase I’ve made in a while. Can’t see why the ion wouldn’t do the same job.
Ps. So far I’m very impressed with the plastic flite. Been out in -30. Works like a charm.

58thecat 02-04-2023 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TROLLER (Post 4607100)
When you say you run for 10 sec is that with the auger still at the bottom of the hole, if I run mine as I am lifting out the entire top is full of ice

I run it at the bottom for a bit, then lift up so it grabs all the other snow etc then back to the bottom for the final push.

keeks 02-04-2023 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pikergolf (Post 4606919)
I bought my Alpha on a boxing day sale. I thought nothing could out dig a Jiffy model 30, well this thing kills it. It digs so fast you can't even think about putting pressure on it, goes down to fast. Very happy.

I agree. In fact I have to put some light up pressure on the auger when the ice is soft. Great augers.

k