Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Trapping Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Selling tanned lynx to an American (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=405688)

moosehunter21 11-26-2021 08:04 PM

Selling tanned lynx to an American

I have an American client that wants to buy a tanned lynx from me, besides a bill of sale what other paperwork would he need? a CITES permit? If so how does one obtain one of those? He would like to take it back with him rather than shipping it.

Red Bullets 11-26-2021 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moosehunter21 (Post 4445235)
I have an American client that wants to buy a tanned lynx from me, besides a bill of sale what other paperwork would he need? a CITES permit? If so how does one obtain one of those? He would like to take it back with him rather than shipping it.

Just reading online that a CITES permit can take 6 to 8 weeks to secure. Hard to find about if a tanned lynx pelt would require a CITES though. Best to call border services and ask.

Or read up online. The Government is going to have all the info and applications you need.

HunterDave 11-26-2021 10:32 PM

https://www.alberta.ca/exporting-wil...m-alberta.aspx

Exporting Other Wildlife

In most cases, exporting wildlife or wildlife parts from Alberta requires an export permit from Fish and Wildlife. Be sure to contact the local Fish and Wildlife Division office for advice on acquiring the necessary permits before exporting any kind of wildlife.

When applying for the export permit, you will need to prove you are legally in possession of the wildlife to be exported. You may have to bring the wildlife to be exported in to the Fish and Wildlife office for inspection.

Grizzly bear, trophy sheep, goat, cougar, wolves (from certain Wildlife Management Units), lynx, otter, fisher and wolverine require a registration certificate before an export permit will be issued. Registration certificates are issued at a Fish and Wildlife office.

————————————-+++————————————

EDIT.......I’d suggest contacting Fish and Wildlife but in my opinion the onus would be on the person that is actually doing the exporting to get whatever export permits are required. If that’s the case, all that you’d have to provide upon selling would be the form allowing you to possess and a bill of sale. F&W can confirm.

Marty S 11-27-2021 12:22 AM

You best be checking into the laws of the country you are shipping to

calgarychef 11-27-2021 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty S (Post 4445306)
You best be checking into the laws of the country you are shipping to

Yup. Some countries require a cites certificate even if it’s not an animal that’s listed as cites. Black bear skin shipped to Australia would be an example.

treeroot 11-27-2021 05:36 PM

Quote:

Every state has different regulations..Some states you can not possess or buy certain species for example..

Selling to americans is easy, but its understanding if they can buy it and what they need to do to buy it is the diffcult part.

Send an email directly to their states fish and wild life department with your questions..

And send one to a AB fish and wild life office as well to make sure your good to go..

100$ says the USA officer will respond before the Alberta one lol.. AB officers are awful for responding to emails

South west trappin RG 11-28-2021 06:28 AM

Quote:

Needs a cities permit that’s all. Sometimes you can phone an it will be ready very fast others will take weeks months good luck

-JR- 11-28-2021 12:00 PM

I shipped a bear rug years ago to Texas . Was told I did not need a cites permit if I did not ship the skull .

The Spruce 11-30-2021 11:35 AM

You need and export permit from Alberta.
That permit will allow You to apply for Cites permit.
Ship animal with both permits, and expect delays.

Its actually easy, but will take time.

Spruce