Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Franklin's grouse (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=408789)

trapperdodge 02-19-2022 10:07 PM

Franklin's grouse

Franklin's grouse are a color phase of a Spruce grouse. I have never seen one but they are supposed to live along or in the mountains.

They don't have the brown tail band that Spruce grouse have instead have white spots on their upper tail coverts.

Anybody seen any when they've been out? Where might a guy encounter them? South or north mountains.

Thanks

Speckle55 02-20-2022 09:09 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I see them out here

when i am in the mountains

they are not common but are here

these pictures are at Maligne Lake Fisherman's Bay 8 1/2 miles down

also saw on the Mount Edith Cavell road in JNP

David :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by trapperdodge (Post 4490643)
Franklin's grouse are a color phase of a Spruce grouse. I have never seen one but they are supposed to live along or in the mountains.

They don't have the brown tail band that Spruce grouse have instead have white spots on their upper tail coverts.

Anybody seen any when they've been out? Where might a guy encounter them? South or north mountains.

Thanks

thumper 02-20-2022 11:09 AM

I've seen them often along the Icefield's Parkway (#93N), between Lake Louise & Jasper, in the spruce forests, usually at fairly high elevations. Bow Summit & Peyto Lake viewpoint trails, Banff NP & JNP Boundary (follow creek towards Mt Athabasca Peak to Boundary Lake), in the stunted forests right around the Icefield's Centre, and trails up Whistlers Peak. On the Wilcox Pass Trail, I've seen Franklin's and then big Blue grouse (now called the Dusky grouse), along with Ptarmigan - all on the same hike while gaining in elevation!

South west trappin RG 02-21-2022 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speckle55 (Post 4490734)
I see them out here

when i am in the mountains

they are not common but are here

these pictures are at Maligne Lake Fisherman's Bay 8 1/2 miles down

also saw on the Mount Edith Cavell road in JNP

David :)

If these are Franklin grouse I have lots in the south. I have always called them spruce grouse

SouthWestRanger 02-21-2022 06:23 PM

See lots of them here in the south, can’t remember seeing any other kind of spruce grouse down here

teledogs 02-21-2022 07:23 PM

I am glad you posted this. Last fall I followed one on a road by the Hinton Airport and wasn't sure what it was.

Speckle55 02-22-2022 10:30 AM

4 Attachment(s)
here is the Spruce Grouse

it has the brown band on tail feathers

the Male has the dark breast feathers and the Red comb

hope this helps you id on them

Franklin Spruce Grouse has white bands on tail feathers and no brown band

David:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by South west trappin RG (Post 4491413)
If these are Franklin grouse I have lots in the south. I have always called them spruce grouse

trapperdodge 02-24-2022 09:58 PM

Thanks guys for all your help. I'd like to get one this fall for my Alberta grouse collection.

hoyt343 02-24-2022 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trapperdodge (Post 4490643)

Thanks

'I've seen a lot of it in the south