Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Amazing!!---I actually caught a Fish!! (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=100181)

nivek2506 08-02-2011 01:28 AM

Amazing!!---I actually caught a Fish!!

Been taking the kids out fishing, just got them interested (maybe, they fish for 5min then chase grasshoppers).
We went to the South Canal at Chestermere and were getting a lot of weeds, but when we went more into the canal (almost to the bridge) the GF said she felt a bite, and there was some splashing. (I was retying the kids line for the 5th time, been losing a lot of lures LoL) I didn't see it, but I did catch a nice pike not long after.
This is amazing cause I can't catch a fish if my life depended on it.
Felt good, and the kids got to see one (other than at BPS) , let them touch his skin, and watch me prep it when we got home.
Gonna try to cook it up tommo.
Looking forward to trying to catch more!!

Sundancefisher 08-02-2011 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nivek2506 (Post 1031297)
Been taking the kids out fishing, just got them interested (maybe, they fish for 5min then chase grasshoppers).
We went to the South Canal at Chestermere and were getting a lot of weeds, but when we went more into the canal (almost to the bridge) the GF said she felt a bite, and there was some splashing. (I was retying the kids line for the 5th time, been losing a lot of lures LoL) I didn't see it, but I did catch a nice pike not long after.
This is amazing cause I can't catch a fish if my life depended on it.
Felt good, and the kids got to see one (other than at BPS) , let them touch his skin, and watch me prep it when we got home.
Gonna try to cook it up tommo.
Looking forward to trying to catch more!!

Atta go! Nice to hear you got some joy fishing...outside of just the activity. While they call it fishing and not catching...it is fun to catch once in a while.

This time of year the pike may be a bit mushy. I would suggest the following if your family likes mushrooms.

Totally debone the pike. Kids and wives hate fish bones. Fry the pike up in butter...doing it with batter and virgin oil oil may also work. Have either spagetti or rice cooking. Get a few cans of campbells creamy mushroom and onion soup going...keep the soup thick. After the pike is cooked through add to the mushroom and onion soup and then ladel over the rice or spagetti. Yum.

Anyone else have a good Summer pike recipe?

0liver 08-02-2011 11:36 AM

Wrap it in tinfoil with some peppers & onions, bake it after a thorough debone. I find baking it drys it out a bit and makes the mushyness not as noticeable. baste with butter and lemon juice threw out the cooking.

alodar 08-02-2011 01:29 PM

I recommend skinning the fish also will help reduce the amount of slime cooked with ur pike

nivek2506 08-02-2011 02:30 PM

Thanks guys for the cooking tips. I could use them. :)

Was thinking about the skinning, so that helped me decide.

So far this fish has cost me over $100. But you know what they say, "never do the math on the costs". LoL