Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   electric hunting bike (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=422398)

BEL 05-16-2023 05:26 PM

electric hunting bike

Just wondering how many hunters on here use electric bikes for hunting. Brands, capabilities, motors, batteries, etc. BEL

graybeard 05-17-2023 10:18 AM

Me too.....?? :party0052:

I am just starting to look; I see lots of people riding them on the nice smooth street but will they withstand the uneven ground, pounding it around or load capacity, cost for a good one?

I am usually day trips so recharging would be when I returned home. I have no idea how long a "one-day" charge would last? Does cold temperature affect performance?

Maybe Bow Cycle to start?

CanuckShooter 05-17-2023 10:28 AM

I thought about it but they would be hard to charge in our hunting camps, we don't have a generator.

BEL 05-17-2023 10:50 AM

research

Lots of research to do first before investing 7 grand. The Mule and Quietcat seem to be pretty tough. BEL

CanuckShooter 05-17-2023 10:52 AM

They run so quiet I'd worry about them being banned for hunting, that's a big investment to make that could easily just be made useless for hunting.

elkslayer132 05-17-2023 11:29 AM

I run a quietkat warrior with a 250 lb capacity two wheel trailer I can get an elk out in 2 trips if alone. Elk and deer usually just stand and watch as I drive by but when you stop they get restless. I would like to try the Mule out to see the difference. There is now a Bakcou dealer in Brooks.

fatboyz 05-17-2023 11:41 AM

I have ridden several different bikes through work. I settled on. Rocky Mountain Growler power play 30, with a mid drive motor. It is a class 1 E-assist bike. With Alberta currently having no legislation as to what constitutes motorized and non motorized as the Federal Govt. definition which Alberta used has been repealed. Most provinces and the US are going with class 1 is non motorized, and class 2 is motorized. I use mine in a lot of non motorized areas so the quiet cats and the like are likely not going to be allowed. I have a home built custom B.O.B trailer with 20” wheel and I use a Robert axle projects through axle on the growler. Makes hauling camp and meat a breeze.

Stinky Buffalo 05-17-2023 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanuckShooter (Post 4636016)
I thought about it but they would be hard to charge in our hunting camps, we don't have a generator.

They do have a solar charging kit:
https://quietkat.com/en-ca/products/...n?ref=yotpo_94

Jack fish hunter 05-17-2023 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanuckShooter (Post 4636025)
They run so quiet I'd worry about them being banned for hunting, that's a big investment to make that could easily just be made useless for hunting.

Probably should be banned.

Stinky Buffalo 05-17-2023 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack fish hunter (Post 4636049)

BLASPHEMY! :scared0018:

tracker 05-17-2023 02:27 PM

I have one of these https://electricbikereview.com/surface-604/boar-hunter/ but haven't used it hunting and likely won't. Lots of power, reasonably priced & very good range. Torque sensor is an important feature on these bikes. Great bike overall. I think the idea of using a bike for hunting is a lot more appealing than the reality would be. Bike hunting just doesn't suit my style of hunting. It would be good if you have access to property with roads or paths where they would allow you to ride it.

colvert 05-17-2023 05:06 PM

Quote:

Totally agree, state of Idaho considered them motorized vehicles.

crazy_davey 05-17-2023 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colvert (Post 4636096)
Totally agree, state of Idaho considered them motorized vehicles.

I think they should ban double barrel shotguns. And bird dogs too.

CNP 05-17-2023 06:23 PM

Quit banning stuff. If you don't want one don't buy one. If you can't afford one sell a rifle. That's what a conservative would do. Those other groups would ban them only because they don't want you to have one...include BHA with those other groups :bad_boys_20:

MOUNTAIN MICKEY 05-17-2023 06:43 PM

I have a YUKON 750 LIMITED made by VOLT bike in the Vancouver area $2300. plus $49 shipping, 750 hub drive rear motor--4 inch tires -- 7 speed and 9 power levels--19.5 amp battery. Living in Elkford every where you ride is up or down hill so I put a smaller sprocket on the front and what a very improved difference it made. Also has a hand throttle if you want to ride it like a motorcycle. With the bigger front sprocket, I was mostly using the first power level and 4th gear. The smaller front sprocket I jumped up to 7th gear and the 4th power level and find that combo good for most all of my riding. Younger people will have a different opinion on this. Crossbow and lawn chair ride the front rack.

pikergolf 05-17-2023 09:36 PM

Quote:

Why do you think they should be banned? Colvert you can weigh in as well.

teledogs 05-17-2023 09:52 PM

3 Attachment(s)
This will be my first season using one and I just want to use it for upland. I have a Kona elKahuna SUV. It is more of a trail bike with racks, lights, and fenders. I added a suspension seat post, better grips and seat. It is E-assist with great range.

CNP 05-17-2023 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOUNTAIN MICKEY (Post 4636114)
I have a YUKON 750 LIMITED made by VOLT bike in the Vancouver area $2300. plus $49 shipping, 750 hub drive rear motor--4 inch tires -- 7 speed and 9 power levels--19.5 amp battery. Living in Elkford every where you ride is up or down hill so I put a smaller sprocket on the front and what a very improved difference it made. Also has a hand throttle if you want to ride it like a motorcycle. With the bigger front sprocket, I was mostly using the first power level and 4th gear. The smaller front sprocket I jumped up to 7th gear and the 4th power level and find that combo good for most all of my riding. Younger people will have a different opinion on this. Crossbow and lawn chair ride the front rack.

I've got the same bike. I made some changes in the software that control power, power levels and max assisted speed. I'm running mine at 1,000 watts, reduced the power levels from 9 to 5 and changed the max assisted speed to 40 km/h. I've had it running at these settings for a couple years. Over 3,500 km on the bike and the only maintenance I've done was to change the rear tire........not a flat just went bald.

Demonical 05-18-2023 03:49 AM

I think we should ban stupidity...

Karl Krammer 05-18-2023 07:46 AM

Question for CNP re Yukon 750

What did you do to get 1000W, computer settings or does it need a stronger controller ?

CNP 05-18-2023 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karl Krammer (Post 4636179)
What did you do to get 1000W, computer settings or does it need a stronger controller ?

The oem controller can handle it, it's just a change in parameters that you make. I ran into this on a ebike forum: https://electricbikereview.com/forum...upgrade.36857/

wallz 05-18-2023 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanuckShooter (Post 4636016)

I've been looking at the different ones as well for the last few months, and like others feel limited to range while out in camp with no generator for recharging.

Then I ran across these: https://rocksolar.ca/collections/sol...-system?page=1

I would think that solar bank to a lithium battery would replenish the charge ready for you to return to camp and charge up the bike, but does add to the cost of the bike.

501s 05-18-2023 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOUNTAIN MICKEY (Post 4636114)

I have this exact same bike and use it for hunting too. I can NOT see a reason to spend triple or quadruple for a hunting specific. These bikes serve the purpose perfectly! Plus my wife and kids can ride it.

https://www.voltbike.com/

501s 05-18-2023 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CNP (Post 4636188)
The oem controller can handle it, it's just a change in parameters that you make. I ran into this on a ebike forum: https://electricbikereview.com/forum...upgrade.36857/

I will be trying this out tonight!

colvert 05-19-2023 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pikergolf (Post 4636137)
Why do you think they should be banned? Colvert you can weigh in as well.

Motorized vehicles allow deep penetration into wildlife habitat. Those E-bikes are even more armful due to the lack of noise. They will eventually be classified as motorized. They should be banned where other ATVs access is already restricted.

CNP 05-19-2023 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colvert (Post 4636422)
Motorized vehicles allow deep penetration into wildlife habitat. Those E-bikes are even more armful due to the lack of noise. They will eventually be classified as motorized. They should be banned where other ATVs access is already restricted.

Ha.
Deep penetration into wildlife habitat? Like by following a road or trail?
Do you own one?
Have you ever tried to ride one?
Noisy petro powered vehicles are bad and now green powered no noise bicycles are bad?
Your only hoping that the govt will say they are motorized so you can smile and say to yourself that the govt saved us again, from those evil ebike riders.
Ban them? "Banning thing is a curse of our age. Modern day puritans want to ban things without any evidence that the activity is harmful."

Stinky Buffalo 05-19-2023 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CNP (Post 4636431)
Noisy petro powered vehicles are bad and now green powered no noise bicycles are bad?

That's a head-scratcher for sure!

ram crazy 05-19-2023 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colvert (Post 4636422)

They should ban walking into wildlife habit as well as there is a lack of noise!! :eek:

elkslayer132 05-19-2023 11:12 AM

While we’re at it might as well ban horses too as they are quiet and can get way back where others can not walk to. Just have to shake your head sometimes.

Mr.Rigpig 05-19-2023 11:48 AM

Pretty pathetic how someone can dislike something, so they figure it should be banned....

"I don't like it so no one should have" mentality, a very liberal mindset.