Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Archery Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   I wanna bow!!! (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=224256)

colroggal 07-12-2014 07:25 PM

I wanna bow!!!

I'm hoping to get back into archery and maybe bow hunting in the next year or so once I feel I'm good enough. I haven't had a bow since I was a kid so we can say my official level of knowledge on the subject is Squat. I'm a lefty and pretty strong. At the gym I single arm row 60 lbs in sets of 20 and I can do strings of one arm pushups. I'm 6'4" and 240 fairly firm (ish).

Bio aside, should I jump into a compound or start with a fairly cheap recurve and build up from there. What's a good starting draw, my strength being considered.

Does any one have a recommendation? I don't trust online reviews. Any help is muchly appreciated.
Thanks, Colin.

Lefty-Canuck 07-12-2014 07:28 PM

I have a LH bow for sale right now....a Bowtech Destroyer 350 in a 50-60lb limb setup.

Draw is adjustable currently set at 28 inches....one of the faster hunting bows made....

I'll bump my ad in buy and sell, let me know if interested. I might have some other items/components to help get you going.

LC

diamond k 07-12-2014 07:44 PM

Thay is a good deal especially knowing that Lefty know his stuff and would not have abused or dry fired the bow.

colroggal 07-12-2014 07:44 PM

Lefty, somehow I thought you would be the first response. Bump it and I'll check it out.

Thanks, Colin.

colroggal 07-12-2014 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diamond k (Post 2488937)
Thay is a good deal especially knowing that Lefty know his stuff and would not have abused or dry fired the bow.

You're not the first to say Lefty's a stand up-Canuck. Makes me wish I lived closer to Beaumont. I told my wife I wasn't going to spend much. (Her idea of much and mine differ obviously). I forsee a lot of foot massages in my near future.

Not for Lefty! Geeze!

Colin.

north american hunter 07-12-2014 09:32 PM

450 for that how is a smokin deal!

colroggal 07-12-2014 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by north american hunter (Post 2489011)
450 for that how is a smokin deal!

No offence ... the grammar leaves me questioning if you're pro or con. Remember, my knowledge level is about equivalent to a preschooler enjoying the gentle high of paste.

FallAirFever 07-12-2014 10:20 PM

Colin,
Lefty is a good dude and sure the bow is in nice shape.
Do yourself a favor head down to Jimbows and the Calgary archery center to look around. Get yourself measured up for draw length, yours is going to probably be very long which will limit your choice of bows. Talk to the sales peoPle and techs to see what they say. If you would like Id be more than happy to meet up at either of the two shops and we can talk bows.
You might also benefit from looking at a website called huntersfriend There is a lot of info on bows and arrows might help you get familiar with terminology.
As far as what to get I am a compound guy but hey look at and maybe even shoot both to see what you like. I'm a fan of the tech that goes into compunds and the accessories.
Good luck with your search and if you want to meet up send me a message.

north american hunter 07-12-2014 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colroggal (Post 2489014)
No offence ... the grammar leaves me questioning if you're pro or con. Remember, my knowledge level is about equivalent to a preschooler enjoying the gentle high of paste.

I'm pro, I was in a rush that's all and auto correct on my phone doesn't help.

colroggal 07-12-2014 10:38 PM

Thanks faf. I'm just dipping my toes in right now. We - the royal we - are getting nervous how much this is going to cost us. I think I'll take your advise and get sized up. Maybe I need to do more research as well. Probably saying I know squat is still being generous.

I'll shoot you a pm. You too Lefty. Regarding contact info.

...delayed before edit: My wife says I can buy a bow just as soon as I sell my savage 93. Oh .. Lefty, its a lefty. I'll bump the post. And I told her I would use the funds to buy a bear defense gun. Oh well.... that's what the 1895 was supposed to be for.

Colin.

colroggal 07-12-2014 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by north american hunter (Post 2489055)
I'm pro, I was in a rush that's all and auto correct on my phone doesn't help.

I figured that's what you meant. My fat thumbs get me in trouble all the time.

Lefty-Canuck 07-12-2014 10:58 PM

I actually have a savage 93LH already...:)

I will look around I think I have a spare release and some Rage broad heads NIP I can toss in as well.

I am coming to Calgary for work next week and I always bring at least one bow with me...I'll toss that one in too if you want to look at it.

LC

FallAirFever 07-13-2014 01:37 PM

Colin
Have a read here http://www.huntersfriend.com/bow_siz...ent_guide.html
It is a good start for info, as well as the arrow university on that site.

Lefty, any free time for a round of 3d at the archery center when you are here for work next week?

Lefty-Canuck 07-13-2014 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FallAirFever (Post 2489427)
Colin
Have a read here http://www.huntersfriend.com/bow_siz...ent_guide.html
It is a good start for info, as well as the arrow university on that site.

Lefty, any free time for a round of 3d at the archery center when you are here for work next week?

Definitely should have time! I'll drop you a PM.

LC