Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   New motorcycles (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=366422)

223Jake 07-09-2019 09:17 PM

New motorcycles

Been kind of talked into buying a cruiser type bike now. Currently riding a ninja 1000. Not very comfortable for those long treks.

I like the looks of the Indian chiefs, And the Harley street glides.

What would you guys recommend for a cruiser style bike with some get up and go for those longer, multi day rides?

spoiledsaskhunter 07-09-2019 09:26 PM

really hard to beat japanese for comfort and reliability.......they don't have te attitude though.

Coho911 07-09-2019 09:30 PM

Triumph bikes are incredible now.

FishOutOfWater 07-09-2019 09:45 PM

Bmw s 1000 r

Coming off a Supersport litre bike, you won't be happy with a cruiser... Get a naked touring bike, something that you sit more upright.

* As uncomfortable as they are, after 20 years I still couldn't bring myself to buy a "cruiser". Even with lower back issues.

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/-/media/d...1CC81CA09C8C0F

And put a Sargent touring seat on it, they're super comfy...

https://www.sargentcycle.com/core/me...f942af7a1badeb

Oldan Grumpi 07-09-2019 09:49 PM

Check out the Ural. New engines this year.

223Jake 07-09-2019 09:53 PM

Being on Kawis and Honda's for the past many years I know the jap bikes are hard to beat.

I do like the look and feel of the euro bikes. Ktm and BMW.

But I've been hearing the harleys roar around town and kinda think I might look good on one. Lol

elkhunter11 07-09-2019 09:59 PM

Having toured extensively, I would avoid a cruiser for multi day trips, they get old after a full day of riding, let alone multiple days. I prefer sport touring bikes myself, and coming from a ninja, you would probably find them comfortable. I ride a BMW twin, and I enjoy the smooth torque, and the excellent handling.

pittman 07-09-2019 10:01 PM

I've had both and they're both fun for their own reasons.

You'll never find a cruiser fast after riding sport bikes. That said they're fun in a way as they're a bit more challenging to ride (worse brakes, suspension, centre of gravity etc).

Once you get out on the highway you'll appreciate the cruiser a bit more. Sitting upright you'll get to enjoy the countryside and overall they're pretty relaxing.

You might just need one of each ;)

ghfalls 07-09-2019 10:04 PM

Yamaha Ténéré 700 next year. Best of all worlds

223Jake 07-09-2019 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghfalls (Post 3999543)
Yamaha Ténéré 700 next year. Best of all worlds

Just looked at them on Google here. Looked too much like the African twin. Which I test rode and didnt like a whole lot

223Jake 07-09-2019 11:07 PM

Sounds like quite a few are liking the BMWs. Might have to go take a look at them

MRM 07-09-2019 11:33 PM

I too just came off a Ninja 1000. Had a 83 Shadow as my first bike 25 years ago, ran a Vmax and a few liter bikes since. Back on a 85 Shadow now and love it. Not a long ride bike maybe due to age, but sitting up and able to look behind you is awesome. Hard to go wrong with a Shadow in my opinion. Expect a 10 year old one would never let you down.

cranky 07-10-2019 12:05 AM

Went from years of riding cruisers to a Suzuki V Strom when they first came out.
Best thing i ever did for my back. Doubled my daily riding distance on road trips with ease.

Tactical Lever 07-10-2019 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 223Jake (Post 3999572)
Just looked at them on Google here. Looked too much like the African twin. Which I test rode and didnt like a whole lot

What didn't you like about it? Was about to suggest something like that when I saw your post.

I'd also think about keeping your current ride, and just making it a little more touring friendly. Maybe swap out the clip-ons for bars, a higher fly screen, and a corbin seat, or similar.

Or maybe a Honda VFR-800? Since it was introduced as a 750 all those years ago, I think it won best sport tourer, and best all-around just about 100 times already.

Or an FJ, or whatever they have now... Or Bandit 1200. ZRX 1200; big solid, comfortable, and torquey.

CaberTosser 07-10-2019 12:58 AM

For longer tours I’d be looking at the sport tourers like a Yamaha FJR1300. Way back I used to have an FJ1100 and that bike was great, it was way more comfortable than a pure sport bike, which contort human bodies to the extent that I think the entire class was invented by underemployed chiropractors. I went from that FJ to a CBR1100XX but could never bring myself to ride something where the bars were so uncomfortably low, rider fatigue being a thing.

Anything from the sport touring class through the retro sport-standards to the dual-sports would be suitable.

omega50 07-10-2019 05:09 AM

A gentle compromise:)

https://bosshoss.com/supersport-bike/

58thecat 07-10-2019 05:28 AM

So many choices out there....best part is shop around and park your arse in them....one seat at a time!:sHa_shakeshout:

Ergonomics....everyone is different.

Don't get hung up on a cult following etc....she has to be the right fit.

Husty 07-10-2019 07:22 AM

You open to Adventure Bikes? A KTM 1090 has 125hp, is lighter, has better braking, very high and upright seating which is great for visibility, and will be able to get more miles done in a day (at least for me) than a cruiser. If your willing to goto a touring bike like a Goldwing or Indian Chieftan they are much better for multiday trips and would fit the look you seem to be after.

Myself I got a DR650 last year and love it, cheep to buy, tons of aftermarket for it, stock suspension made for a 130lbs Japanese man, fairly capable although it sucks for multiple days on the highway but you can do it. Got it more for gravel and forestry roads than the highway. I love the ergos after getting lower pegs and handlebars/risers. Only has 35hp but still probably the most fun ive had on a bike after my old TW200. I dont need something that fast so the DR650 works for me.

Mastercaller 07-10-2019 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 223Jake (Post 3999524)
Been kind of talked into buying a cruiser type bike now. Currently riding a ninja 1000. Not very comfortable for those long treks.

I like the looks of the Indian chiefs, And the Harley street glides.

What would you guys recommend for a cruiser style bike with some get up and go for those longer, multi day rides?

Hear good things about the Kawasaki's.

I test drove a few of the Indian cycles...ya wow.

ehrgeiz 07-10-2019 08:00 AM

Maybe a Honda Grom? Hehe

angler1 07-10-2019 09:03 AM

What?? No Harley guys here , it figures. I ride a Road Glide. Why? They handle great, ABS brakes, cruise control and a list of other improvements over the years. They are the sexiest bikes out there. Chicks dig-em! NUFF SAID!:argue2:

Husty 07-10-2019 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angler1 (Post 3999661)
What?? No Harley guys here , it figures. I ride a Road Glide. Why? They handle great, ABS brakes, cruise control and a list of other improvements over the years. They are the sexiest bikes out there. Chicks dig-em! NUFF SAID!:argue2:

Some of us are not looking for a 300+ lbs 'chick' called Bertha that smells and tastes like a pack of Malbros.

angler1 07-10-2019 09:21 AM

Sorry if I hurt your feelers! Did not mean to. I like all women. I also learned in sensitivity training that your sexual orientation is none of my business. HAHAHA

elkhunter11 07-10-2019 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angler1 (Post 3999661)

If you think that a Harley Road Glide handles great, your definition of handling is much different than most people's.:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Ken07AOVette 07-10-2019 09:54 AM

The last 4 bikes I had were Hayabusa's. Amazing bike, great handling, excellent mileage. I put Corbin beetle bags (hard) on one of them, the wife loved them because her legs were protected. She nearly fell asleep several times on the 'Busa.

I am not old enough for a Harley. I don't think I ever will, hate them. :)

Husty 07-10-2019 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angler1 (Post 3999667)
Sorry if I hurt your feelers! Did not mean to. I like all women. I also learned in sensitivity training that your sexual orientation is none of my business. HAHAHA

No feelings hurt. Its nice to see you share one less chromosome like most Harley riders though :) dont get why your bringing sexual orientation into this..

I get it buying a Harley is like buying a piece of history and joining an exclusive club, price of membership is one over priced bike. Personally they’re not for me, but then they don’t make the types of bikes I’m interested in. That said I think the world of motorcycles is better off for having them in it and can totally appreciate that like so many of the premium end bikes like BMW, Triumph, and Ducati. The only Harley Id ever own would be a Buell Ulysses if Buell was still operating.

angler1 07-10-2019 10:00 AM

Ever ride one? Probably not

Husty 07-10-2019 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angler1 (Post 3999694)

Yes, I rode my uncles Road King for a couple hundred miles in Utah last year. My review: It was nothing special, but can eat up highway miles, sounds nice

elkhunter11 07-10-2019 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angler1 (Post 3999694)

I owned and toured with a Harley for three years,and I have ridden others, but compared to my BMW, they handle like a 3/4 ton pickup. When you purchase a Harley, you are buying a name, and an image, but you certainly are not buying great handling.

HyperMOA 07-10-2019 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elkhunter11 (Post 3999669)
If you think that a Harley Road Glide handles great, your definition of handling is much different than most people's.:sHa_sarcasticlol:

How many 09 and newer road glides have you ridden? The change in 09 was dramatic and they have kept improving. I would dare to say that the Harley touring platform is the best handling of all the touring platforms.

The handling of most bikes exceeds the abilities of their riders regardless. I still laugh at the fella on the sport bike who couldn’t run me down on my Harley deuce. That is not because my deuce outperforms his sport bike, it’s because I outperformed the rider. Until you drag the floorboard hinges of a road glide you don’t know how it handles.

Not a Harley fan, I’m a motorcycle fan. I’ve owned or ridden so many bikes and never found a bad bike. Some bikes are better at certain things than other bikes.
I think it’s hilarious how many people hate harleys and have never ridden one. Or compare the 883 sportster to their hayabusa. That’s like comparing a hammer to a washing machine.

I’ll race any liter bike on a road glide to 10,000km. See what I did there, I beat a jixxer with a road glide using its strengths.