Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fly-Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   HARDY fly reels? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=173029)

MtnGiant 03-28-2013 08:46 PM

HARDY fly reels?

How would you compare the old reels (UK made) to the new reels (Korean made)?

Lornce 03-28-2013 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtngiant (Post 1908055)

Close in quality but not quite as spectacular as say the pre 50's when they where hand made. The older ones are more akin to a fine watch in quality.

http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/q...e/DSC_0017.jpg
http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/q...e/DSC_0024.jpg
http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/q...Lornce/no2.jpg
http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/q...durstjohn5.jpg

MtnGiant 03-28-2013 09:07 PM

Thats what i kinda figured Lornce.
I've been monitoring the older ones on ebay but havnt pulled the trigger yet.

How do the older ones compare in weight?

Lornce 03-29-2013 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtngiant (Post 1908084)
Thats what i kinda figured Lornce.
I've been monitoring the older ones on ebay but havnt pulled the trigger yet.
How do the older ones compare in weight?

Always a bit heavier but I like them better for balance. Nicer than the tinny new brands that look like a hub cap.

lannie 03-29-2013 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lornce (Post 1908766)
Always a bit heavier but I like them better for balance. Nicer than the tinny new brands that look like a hub cap.

Yes the hardy's do look tinny. No wonder they are having a tuff time in the market place. pity.

Lornce 03-29-2013 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lannie (Post 1908773)
Yes the hardy's do look tinny. No wonder they are having a tuff time in the market place. pity.

Wasn't talking about Hardy's but other brands with "bling" but no subsance

greylynx 03-29-2013 08:15 PM

There is all that new disposable stuff.

And then there is Hardy. With those geezer pawls that keep working like the battery bunny.

I hate to say it, but the new Korean stuff is smoother than than the old English stuff.

Why? Those Korean guys are years ahead in their CNC production requiring shorter hand finishing time.

China is a different story.

MtnGiant 03-29-2013 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greylynx (Post 1909242)
There is all that new disposable stuff.

And then there is Hardy. With those geezer pawls that keep working like the battery bunny.

I hate to say it, but the new Korean stuff is smoother than than the old English stuff.

Why? Those Korean guys are years ahead in their CNC production requiring shorter hand finishing time.

China is a different story.

Have you used the new Hardy's?
Or maybe know someone that has one that makes you say this?
Im curious cause I am in the hunt for a Hardy but have never used one.
Just not sure if new or old is the best option?

Bhflyfisher 03-29-2013 09:47 PM

I have a hardy ultralite dd 4000 and love it. Wasnt to fond of the fact its made over seas, but it has exceeded my expectations so far. Its pretty to look at too.

greylynx 03-29-2013 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtngiant (Post 1909330)
Have you used the new Hardy's?
Or maybe know someone that has one that makes you say this?
Im curious cause I am in the hunt for a Hardy but have never used one.
Just not sure if new or old is the best option?

New stuff is the best. I will not argue. But if you like classic stuff, Hardy has not forgotten you.

Norm, the Cabalas flyfishing wizard at the Edmonton store, convinced the Winnipeg bosses to bring in some of the classic Hardy line. Some of his machinist type customers who work with Mikes to one half in thousand speak very highy of the new reels. Even though they are made in south Korea.

MtnGiant 03-29-2013 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bhflyfisher (Post 1909339)
I have a hardy ultralite dd 4000 and love it. Wasnt to fond of the fact its made over seas, but it has exceeded my expectations so far. Its pretty to look at too.

Nice
And yes...they are kinda sexy too hahaha
Do the new ones have a heavy click sound or light and hard to hear?

Bhflyfisher 03-29-2013 10:57 PM

its not as loud as original hardy's but its got 2 spring clickers. like most reels nowadays.

it fits nicely on my boron IIMX.....

jeprli 03-29-2013 11:48 PM

2 plastic spring clickers? Or is it just the cc that uses plastic?

grinr 03-30-2013 12:50 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lornce (Post 1908079)
Close in quality but not quite as spectacular as say the pre 50's when they where hand made. The older ones are more akin to a fine watch in quality.

I'd say functionally and aesthetically they are near equal,the QC is still what you'd expect from Hardy and without any further endorsement neccesary,it's a Hardy for chrissakes!!Only slight difference I'd say is from a collectable standpoint,it stands to reason that an Alnwick original is more desirable.
There's countless new,high quality/high-end reels in todays market,some will make it,most won't....but you cant go wrong buying a Hardy IMHO,either your grandson will fish it someday or you can sell it 30 years from now for more than you paid today if you take care of it?

Lornce 03-30-2013 08:33 AM

I have a few New Hardy's, and quite a few classic's so can see side by side and my classics win. Mind you the New Hardy''s are still in my opinion a cut above many other brands. A lot are made to satisfy our "disposable" society and that's fine also but not to my particular taste. There are a number of other brands I love such as some Loop products and a few reels hand made by small manufacturers. But few like Hardy has stood the test of time. I have reels that have fly fished through 3 generations, ready for a forth and still perform like champs, wonder how many other brands will be able to boat of that.

This is a new "Made in England" Hardy.
http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/q...psa790f09e.jpg

lannie 03-30-2013 09:45 AM

Lornce- Nothing personal but that Hardy looks tinny. It may be a great reel and I hope looks are deceiving. Which reel with the same price point looks tinny to you?

grinr 03-30-2013 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lannie (Post 1909609)
Lornce- Nothing personal but that Hardy looks tinny. It may be a great reel and I hope looks are deceiving. Which reel with the same price point looks tinny to you?

Pics don't do it justice,that Perfect is solid as a rock and has been in production virtually unchanged for 120 years.

Taco 03-30-2013 03:32 PM

Yabut I don't care what y'all say, I still like my Islanders

greylynx 03-30-2013 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grinr (Post 1909647)
Pics don't do it justice,that Perfect is solid as a rock and has been in production virtually unchanged for 120 years.

Anyone own a Silex?

Lornce 03-30-2013 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greylynx (Post 1910007)
Anyone own a Silex?

Have a couple. They make a nice Spey reel.

Lornce 03-30-2013 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taco (Post 1909862)

Excellent reel also.

lannie 03-30-2013 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taco (Post 1909862)

Same and have 4.

MtnGiant 03-30-2013 11:39 PM

The most expensive Hardy reel I have seen is going for $8000

Now thats gotta make a statement!!!

Lornce 03-31-2013 09:00 AM

Quote:

Back to the original topic by the poster, although the Classic Hardy’s are an exceptionally fine reel and sought after by collectors. The problem is the price of them is starting to soar. Don’t be afraid of picking up a new one for fishing, the Korean standards are high and they are great reels. They have also reissued many of the classics and are manufacturing them in England again.

MtnGiant 03-31-2013 09:22 AM

[QUOTE=Lornce;1910628]Back to the original topic by the poster, although the Classic Hardy’s are an exceptionally fine reel and sought after by collectors. The problem is the price of them is starting to soar. Don’t be afraid of picking up a new one for fishing, the Korean standards are high and they are great reels. They have also reissued many of the classics and are manufacturing them in England again.[/QUOTE]

This is great news....thanks for letting us know

Taco 03-31-2013 09:36 AM

[QUOTE=mtngiant;1910658]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lornce (Post 1910628)
Back to the original topic by the poster, although the Classic Hardy’s are an exceptionally fine reel and sought after by collectors. The problem is the price of them is starting to soar. Don’t be afraid of picking up a new one for fishing, the Korean standards are high and they are great reels. They have also reissued many of the classics and are manufacturing them in England again.[/QUOTE]

This is great news....thanks for letting us know

Yeah the English built Perfect starts at about $900 CDN. I believe they build the Perfect and St. George in England. When they switched over to Korean manufacturing, during the uproar from the Traditional Purists it was admitted that the fit and finish of the Korean manufactured reels was superior to the latter day English built reels.

Don Andersen 03-31-2013 12:34 PM

Just picked up another Hardy. Do I feel bad!
Ya' right.

Don

Taco 03-31-2013 02:35 PM

New or classic?

Don Andersen 03-31-2013 04:43 PM

Taco,

Apparently the gal has been previously used. Some slack around the spindle. Still, it gives me another back-up to my lake set-ups.
Will get shipped next week.

Don

grinr 03-31-2013 05:07 PM

Aint nutn quite like a bright Atlantic or Steelhead chromer on a hellbent sizzling run,well into the backing of a singing Hardy....music to my ears,that IS THE SOUND of flyfishing!!!
http://www.free-ringtones.cc/iphone/...m.php?id=38628 :happy0059: