Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Trapping Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Resident Trapline Course? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=348331)

6tmile 07-22-2018 12:27 PM

Resident Trapline Course?

Is this in the works to becoming mandatory in the future? Is it going to be another prerequisite for us resident trappers to have before we get an opportunity to hold a RFMA? As of now its not mandatory, but what’s going to happen in the next few years? Please put out your thoughts but keep it civil.

wolfcrazy 07-22-2018 11:33 PM

This workshop isn’t mandatory in anyway. It’s to help want to be resident trappers work on public relations, record trapping activities, understanding accidental catches and how to avoid loose dogs, footholding and covers best practices for snaring. It also has a outside training aspect as well but does not replace the government regulated mandatory.

Hinterland 08-18-2018 03:16 PM

Snaring Certificate

The next course runs September 1-2, 2018 The cost is $180.00 for the two day workshop. And it also includes 2 certificates. 1 for Resident Workshop and 1 for Snaring.

pgavey 08-18-2018 04:43 PM

As a old guy who would like to get back into it, where are these courses held?
Just moved to Beaver Mines AB from Medicine Hat has got me excited about trapping again. As a young man I trapped a lot of muskrats, fox, linx,and martin, but that's a long time ago. I know quite a few ranchers in the area,I don't it would be a problem doing a little trapping on there land. I enjoy reading the trapping blog on here, have a great season you guys.

Hinterland 08-18-2018 05:57 PM

Resident Trapline Management - Westlock

The September course will be held in Westlock. You can visit the ATA website and download the forms to register or call Tracey on Monday at the office. www.albertatrappers.com

pgavey 08-18-2018 09:19 PM

Thank you.

Big Grey Wolf 08-19-2018 08:15 AM

Just for clarification thought All trappers now require the trapper course to get a RFMA. My understanding is the Bio,s will give you some credit for your Resident trapping years, but will not approve you without the trapper course.

nimrod 08-19-2018 06:42 PM

If there is enough interest, I have room to host a course, might need 6 or more to put one on, not as far north as West lock , pm me if you wish., Camrose area

Hinterland 08-19-2018 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pgavey (Post 3828572)
Thank you.

You are most welcome

pgavey 08-19-2018 08:00 PM

is there ever a course held here in the SW corner of the province ?

bill9044 08-20-2018 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pgavey (Post 3828979)
is there ever a course held here in the SW corner of the province ?

Call up the ATA in westlock they sould get you in touch with either ross hinter education fella or someone from the South Country Trapping Association. Great folk doen there.

Bill

Hinterland 08-20-2018 09:05 PM

Resident Trapline Management - Westlock

Just to clarify, the Resident Trapline Management workshop is for current Licensed Trappers. It is designed to help the Resident Trappers and includes the snaring workshop. If you are interested in a course in a location other than the Westlock one, we can come to your area if you have a suitable field site as well as a classroom setting. We need a minimum of 10 people to bring the workshop to your area. This is a new workshop with good response so far.
Call the ATA and talk to Tracey for more info or Ross Hinter, Education Coordinator. Also the forms are on the website for the Westlock location. www.albertatrappers.com