Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   New Cabela's to open may 22nd (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=216073)

italk2u 04-16-2014 08:41 PM

New Cabela's to open may 22nd

Saw this on their website:
Cabela’s Canada Announces Opening Date of Edmonton, Alberta Store
Posted on 4/9/2014 10:50:08 AM

SIDNEY, Neb. (April 7, 2014) – Cabela’s Canada will celebrate the official grand opening of its new Edmonton, Alberta store Thursday, May 22.

A ribbon cutting ceremony, hosted by Cabela's executives and special guests, will begin at 10:45 a.m. and doors will open for business at 11 a.m. Opening day will kick off a weekend-long celebration highlighted by celebrity appearances, family events, giveaways and more.

The 50,000-square-foot store will be located in the Manning Town Centre on Manning Drive in north Edmonton. It will be Cabela’s second store in the Edmonton area, joining the 70,000-square-foot location opened at 6150 Currents Drive NW in 2011.

The building’s exterior will reflect Cabela’s popular store model with log construction, stonework, wood siding and metal roofing. A large glass storefront will allow customers to view much of the store’s interior as they approach the building.

The inside will feature the company’s next-generation layout designed to surround customers in an outdoor experience, including museum-quality wildlife displays and a large mountain replica. In addition to thousands of quality outdoor products, the store also will feature an indoor archery range and archery tech room, Bargain Cave and Fudge Shop.

It is expected to employ approximately 150 full-time and part-time employees, most coming from Edmonton and the surrounding area.

Currently, Cabela’s operates 52 stores across North America with plans to open an additional 22 over the next two years, including a Barrie, Ontario location this summer; a Nanaimo, British Columbia store this fall; and a Moncton, New Brunswick location in 2015.

the local angler 04-16-2014 08:54 PM

wow interesting, just wish they would open one in calgary.

Double-Eh 04-16-2014 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the local angler (Post 2406478)
wow interesting, just wish they would open one in calgary.

trade you for a bass pro

nsherman72 04-16-2014 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Double-Eh (Post 2406602)
trade you for a bass pro

x2

boonedocks 04-16-2014 10:57 PM

Cabelas

My son and his friend both got part time jobs there! What could go wrong?!

crf250xtom 04-17-2014 12:26 AM

A bass pro is coming to Edmonton.

YeeHaw 04-17-2014 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crf250xtom (Post 2406711)
A bass pro is coming to Edmonton.

Wishful thinking.

slivers86 04-17-2014 01:41 AM

whens calgary getting a cabela's?

Dak1138 04-17-2014 05:05 AM

I thought Bass Pro is opening up by the airport.

Alberta Bigbore 04-17-2014 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YeeHaw (Post 2406715)
Wishful thinking.

Thats what everyone said about the rumors of Edmonton getting a Cabelas long ago.

Also... i heard long ago that the new Cabelas wasnt going to have a fudge shop or bargain cave .

Vigsy 04-17-2014 06:16 AM

Id love a bass pro in edmonton!

Master_Baitcaster 04-17-2014 06:19 AM

Old news, ive been watching that sucker get built since last spring and it kills me everyday driving by it. oh well only one more month then I will be spending away!! :) besides since we got TFH robbed from us and the fishing center going out of business we have basically ZERO outdoorsman stores on the north side. so we deserve it :):sHa_shakeshout:

-JR- 04-17-2014 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Double-Eh (Post 2406602)
trade you for a bass pro

3rd that

honda450 04-17-2014 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore (Post 2406776)
Also... i heard long ago that the new Cabelas wasnt going to have a fudge shop or bargain cave .

Nothing too bargain in there anyhow. Mostly junk.

Lefty-Canuck 04-17-2014 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore (Post 2406776)
Thats what everyone said about the rumors of Edmonton getting a Cabelas long ago.

No gun library either....about 20% smaller store.

LC

JohninAB 04-17-2014 08:37 AM

Cannot wait, as hopefully it keeps the northern Edmonton riff raff out of the westside store!:sHa_shakeshout:

Seriously though, I scratch my head and wonder why Cabelas did not build 1 big flagship store in Edmonton like Bass Pro did in Calgary?

jackrabbit000 04-17-2014 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dak1138 (Post 2406764)
I thought Bass Pro is opening up by the airport.

It is...Bass Pro will be anchoring the new outlet mall at the airport.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohninAB (Post 2406886)
Cannot wait, as hopefully it keeps the northern Edmonton riff raff out of the westside store!:sHa_shakeshout:

Seriously though, I scratch my head and wonder why Cabelas did not build 1 big flagship store in Edmonton like Bass Pro did in Calgary?

I always wondered about that myself. Getting tired of going there anyways...it's 2 min from my house. Maybe I'll have to start going to the north side store. lol

Alberta Bigbore 04-17-2014 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohninAB (Post 2406886)

Ouch!

Freedom55 04-17-2014 09:30 AM

Cabela's opened in Saskatoon to much fan-fare and let me tell you that unless you are looking for a clothing store (although I have zero experience with the gun counter) I'd stick to the Fish'n Hole.

The so-called bargain store has a few picked-over items, mostly ravaged by the staff for any good items - that is to say intact - and a lot of odd clothing items that wouldn't sell on the floor so "bargain". There is no such thing as a Cabela's without a fudge shop, a roasted candied nut cart or a "Bargain Cave".

I do like the free shipping to the store at the catalogue shopping, but I get a discount at the Fish'n Hole so Brian gets my business. And I get personalized service. Same as Calgary. Kelly was a great resource for information. Cabela's floor staff are all about the spiffy shirts and the blue-tooth rig poking out of their ears.

And everything has their logo plastered all over it. Should be free for that kind of advertising.

I know that a lot of you will stand in line for a VIP special preview, along with several thousand other shoppers, but I'm guessing the shine will wear off quickly and the experience will be "all I got was this lousy tee-shirt."

Free (just sayin')

italk2u 04-17-2014 11:54 AM

A lot of negativity in this thread, but then what else is new on AOF, right?
If cabelas has bait, they have my business. I'm tired of going to gas stations and picking through 2 week old bags of dead maggots and mealworms and freezer burned minnows...or having to travel all the way to the westend when I'm going the other direction to fish.
And yes, I live in the NE end and I'm only 5 minutes from the new store.:sHa_shakeshout:

huntsfurfish 04-17-2014 02:25 PM

Don't understand the complaining.

The more stores the better.

Love to have a BP, Cabelas and Fishin Hole here.

Master_Baitcaster 04-17-2014 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by italk2u (Post 2407124)
A lot of negativity in this thread, but then what else is new on AOF, right?
If cabelas has bait, they have my business. I'm tired of going to gas stations and picking through 2 week old bags of dead maggots and mealworms and freezer burned minnows...or having to travel all the way to the westend when I'm going the other direction to fish.
And yes, I live in the NE end and I'm only 5 minutes from the new store.:sHa_shakeshout:

x2 exactly lol

the11fisherman 04-17-2014 04:08 PM

My thoughts on whether a Bass Pro Shop or a Cabelas would be better is mixed. I find that the Bass Pro Shops are always amazing and I haven't seen a bad one yet. But if the Cabelas is going to be as good as some of the best that I have seen......then I would take that any day over Bass Pro shop. But if it is an average or below average...........I'll take the Bass Pro Shop.:character0053:

Deano85 04-17-2014 04:16 PM

WSS beats them both.

bloody arrow 04-17-2014 04:22 PM

I don't know what people are excited about BassPro, the gun and hunting sections are always empty, it is more a clothing store than a hunting/shooting store.... the fishing section is just ok, lots of cheap junk. Can't never find what is on their website. Never impressed with staff.
I'm not sure why the Calgary store is so poorly managed and stocked compared to their store in the US?
would a Cabelas store be better? not sure???

THERICARDO 04-17-2014 08:27 PM

I agree service at Cabela's is brutal and rarely go there bc as people said on here you much of stuff isnt in stock... BUT i love the store its nice people that work there just dont have much info on things..

And Yes Bass Pro is flagship for the new Box stores going up in Nisku development... Have never ebeen to one so am excited to at least see it...

Have always had great service at WSS so will continue to support that store but thats just me... Still at Cabela's at least once a month as well as Fishin Hole haha

Kokanee9 04-17-2014 08:37 PM

Not sure I understand the business sense of opening a second store instead of getting a foothold in South end of Calgary. (TFH please take note.)

Is there that much of difference in $ spent between Edmonton and Calgary to have more than 1 WSS, TFH, and Cabellas in Edmonton?

pipco 04-18-2014 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kokanee9 (Post 2407826)
Not sure I understand the business sense of opening a second store instead of getting a foothold in South end of Calgary. (TFH please take note.)

Is there that much of difference in $ spent between Edmonton and Calgary to have more than 1 WSS, TFH, and Cabellas in Edmonton?

Edmonton is a true blue collar town. We spend a large chunk of money on outdoor recreation stuff. I don't have any stats to compare spending between the two cities but would guess Edmonchuck would be substantially higher than Cowgary.

Edmonton seems to have more retail stuff per sq. mile than most places. I'm not saying it's necessarily a good thing. Just saying.

TROLLER 04-18-2014 10:57 AM

Sorry to tell you this but I read recently that the Cross Iron Bass Pro was the biggest grand opening in Bass history and is now the #1 store in both US and Canada.\\Guess them white collar guys got some bucks for the outdoors too.

Coulee 04-18-2014 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TROLLER (Post 2408416)
Sorry to tell you this but I read recently that the Cross Iron Bass Pro was the biggest grand opening in Bass history and is now the #1 store in both US and Canada.\\Guess them white collar guys got some bucks for the outdoors too.

Yeah. And we don't get dirt and grease on everything we touch.